Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phil Hill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
Link to LA Times article

Saw him drive the Mercedes 350 SLR at the 1979 Monterey Historics and he did not spare the horses.

Not taking anything away from Mario, Phil Hill remains the only US-born driver to win the F1 World Driving Championship.

(Bob Garretson is the other World Driving Champion - in the Endurance category.)
Eric_Shea
sad.gif Bummer... met him at the historics. Generous guy.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 28 2008, 05:35 PM) *

Link to LA Times article

Saw him drive the Mercedes 350 SLR at the 1979 Monterey Historics and he did not spare the horses.

Not taking anything away from Mario, Phil Hill remains the only US-born driver to win the F1 World Driving Championship.

(Bob Garretson is the other World Driving Champion - in the Endurance category.)

Truly an American hero - God's speed.....
904svo
HE WILL BE MISSED!
orange914
i met him,dan gurney and carrol shelby at a fund raiser in lajolla in 2005. a very generous person, he IS automotive history.
effutuo101
a sad day.
championgt1
agree.gif I am bummed now! sad.gif sad.gif
hcdmueller
Very sad. I remember reading a lot of Road and Track issues where he had written articles. I wish I had a chance to meet him. He always seemed like a genuine and friendly person. He is one of my heroes.
zymurgist
RIP sad.gif
ConeDodger
pray.gif God speed Phil... beer3.gif Here's to a life well lived my friends.
BKLA
Met and talked with him a number of times.

His former shop was not too far from my college apartment in Santa Monica. Used to go by just to see what was being restored / rebuilt. Shoo'd away in the begining... Ultimately tolerated as an annoying neighborhood kid. smile.gif

Talked with him after he drove an old Mercedes at the Palms Springs Historics (mid '80's). Have some great shots (not digital) of him and Danny "On The Gas" Ongias at that event.

I have some very fond memories of him and the cars he drove... Wish I could have seen him in his hay day!

He will be missed, but he left us a great legacy of motorsport memories!

drewvw
Total bummer. My pops and I saw him at the Glen over the years.

NY Times Article
ericread
In reading articles by him and about him, he lieved a full and complete life!

Here's to Phil beerchug.gif

Let's everybody lift one (or more) in his honor! He's gone on to the racetrack with free fuel and no chicanes!

Eric
watsonrx13
This is sad sad.gif .....

I'm now officially off work for a 3-day weekend, this is for Phil.... beerchug.gif

-- Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.