Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog light help...and MPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
I just acquired some fog lights and have the switch as well. My 74 has the wires in the front bumper to hook up the lights, but the PO taped them up, easy enough. As for the switch, shoud the wires for the switch be behind the dash as well? I have to drill a hole to install the switch, but I was wondering if the wiring harnesses have all the necessary wires for all the options? I also acquired a MPS that is not the same part number as mine. I installed it and drove it around for awhile but it made the engine hitch a little. Can these be adjusted? Mine is working just fine, I just wanted a spare to keep or get rid of if anyone needs it.

Thanks,
Rod
Bleyseng
What is the part number on the MPS? Jeff B, GaryH or myself can adjust the little buggers if they hold a proper vacuum for 5 minutes.

Geoff
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(415PB @ Feb 2 2004, 05:49 PM)
...I have to drill a hole to install the switch...

are you -sure- ?

okay - i've never fiddled with a '74, but all the early cars i've seen have come with a hole already in the dash, under the basketweave vinyl. might even be under a cover plate so you'll have to feel for it from behind. could be on either side, but since (IIRC, could be wrong...) by '74 they'd moved the windscreen wiper button off the dash onto the column, and i bet the later dashes still have that hole. i don't know - but my point is - check for existing holes before conculding you need to drill a new one. as for wires from the dash to the relay - if there even is a relay installed - i donno... someone with a newer car will have to help you on that...
415PB
Geoff,
The part number on the MPS is 0280 100 037, then underneath that it has a number of 022 906051C.

ArtechnikA, thanks I will check. I bet there is a hole and here I am ready to hack my dash. Anyone else know where the relay would be located for the driving lights?
JWest
The fog relay plug will be one of the round rubber ones on the relay/fuse panel under the dash.

For the switch, you do have a hole in the dash, but you will have to hack the cover piece that the vinyl is attached to.
Bleyseng
That one is too rich for your 74 2.0L. I can trade you a good one for that year if you want.

Geoff
415PB
Geoff, PM me your address and I will send it right out. Thanks for the help.
HarveyH
Put Hella aftermarket fog lights on my 74 a few years ago. The car did not have any mounting hardware in place for the lamps themselves so I think it never had foglights. I only had to punch a hole through the vinyl on the dash panel for the switch, there was a mounting hole in the metal underneath. Wiring is in place behind the dash for the switch. Ran a fused 10 gauge wire to a new relay in the front trunt to power the lamps, and used the stock wiring to switch the new relay.

Harvey
415PB
Thanks, I hooked everything up last night. All the wires were there and I even found the hole for the switch. I wasn't getting power to the fog light relay so I replaced the relay and the right fog light lit up just fine. The left one however did not. So I will be checking that out tonight. I really need some fog light grills for the front, so if anyone has em please let me know.

Thanks

Rod
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.