Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: My brother is gving me the keys to his new toy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
My brother just finished up his MR2 with a celica GTS motor and transmission. Guess you could call it the poor mans lotus elise. Well we are swaping cars sunday so it should be fun. smile.gif

Pictures of course to follow.

He says it's faster then his GTI which if I remember has 260hp. I guess being 1200 lbs lighter really does help.
Eric_Shea
Take it over to CFR and have a shopping cart handle put on the back of it! w00t.gif
turboman808
Hey don't be hatin on my big wing. ALthough it would probably look cooler on his car. idea.gif
rmital
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 29 2008, 02:02 PM) *

Take it over to CFR and have a shopping cart handle put on the back of it! w00t.gif

...that pretty dam funny. TurboNate gettin' it from all parts of the country!
PeeGreen 914
birthday3.gif aktion035.gif
jd74914
Neat. Don't push him--I bet the holes are still in the lid laugh.gif

What year MR2? A friend of mine just got a 2nd gen that's getting built into an competitive AX car.
turboman808
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Aug 29 2008, 10:34 AM) *

Thanks

Last night was a little weird. It was mine and this girls birthday and we were at this show that one of my best friends was MCing. When he got on stage to introduce the next act he goes "I would like to send a very special birthday request to a good friend of mine, Mildred." I guess in the process of trying to get laid he forgot it was mine as well. confused24.gif Dick!

I guess the last generation they made. The more angular one. With the stuff he has done it should have around 200 hp. Supposed to be under 2000 lbs so not bad at all.
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif What a friend. I'm sure it was because he had the request from her and them and didn't want to put you on the spot unsure.gif

So when do we get to see pictures of this Mr. 2
drewvw

Interesting toy. Years ago I drove one of the early ones once that was race prepped. First supercharged car I ever drove, fun stuff.
dw914er
gti is 200 hp. Unless he modded it, or its a r32.

what gen mr2. I've seen second gen with a turbo beat out an evo 9 (which is a 300 hp awd monster), but i've also drive a stock 86 mr2, and I thought it felt very wierd. But your bro's sounds pretty sweet.
ericread
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 29 2008, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Aug 29 2008, 10:34 AM) *

Thanks

Last night was a little weird. It was mine and this girls birthday and we were at this show that one of my best friends was MCing. When he got on stage to introduce the next act he goes "I would like to send a very special birthday request to a good friend of mine, Mildred." I guess in the process of trying to get laid he forgot it was mine as well. confused24.gif Dick!

I would think this would have been a good thing... No telling what sexual favors he would have asked from you if he had remembered... sheeplove.gif

Eric lol3.gif
turboman808
IPB Image

One like this.

Yeah his GTI had something like 300hp. Retuned with a 3 inch exhaust without cat. It was quick but handles like crap. THink he is really enjoying this one more.

Should have pictures and video monday. driving.gif

I think the whole car with the engine and transmission swap set him back like 10 grand. He was able to get $600 for his old drive train as well.
turboman808
It’s not very pretty and neither was the motor. I took it for a spin an dafter driving it I am a little perplexed by this setup. Keep in mind that this is a exact same drive train as the lotus elise. So I would have to wonder is I would enjoy driving a elise. The chassis is terrific. The car feels really good and you have this amazing commanding view of the road. I really feel in control driving this car.

You can really rip thru the corners but as soon as you get to a spot that you need power... WTF where is it? The motor doesn’t start to make power until 6500 rpm. Redline I think was 8000. Thats as far as the tach went anyways so it could have benn 8500 rpm. Either way the power band is incredibly narrow. Even with the 6 speed it seems to fall out of the power band.

So you end up shifting like a fool and still ending up slow as shit in a straight. Even though he has made it so it’s probably 20hp over stock it still doesn’t want to go if you fall bellow 6500.

But he says there are a few mods that can get it to 220hp and I didn’t ask but I would hope someone makes a device that makes it shift onto the power cam 1000 rpm earlier. Then the car would be more fun.

I got to say this again and people don’t like to hear this. I really don’t care for 6 speed transmission. Unless it’s a car with monster power capable of 200+mph then you kinda need the 6 speed to hit the top end. But with a car geared to hit 140 you are just shifting way to much.

Give me a car with a big power band and a 4 or 5 speed any day.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Brett W
He would have been better off with the V6 from the Solara. Much better power package. Plus it has torque. The Lotus sucks unless it has the Honda motor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.