Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This is crazy to ask this much right?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
angerosa
Add implies it's been in an accident saying the body work people got the body totally straight, not very clean, and the engine has been modified. Am I wrong in thinking it's not even worth half of what the reserve is?

Ebay 914-6
PanelBilly
I see it as a simular car to a /4 that was modified plus a bit because it was a /6. I don't think that's too much money to ask for. Remember its the asking price and it could very well get no bidders and fall from there.

If the car is well sorted out, I'd think $19,000 would be just around the highest it would sell for.
736conver
QUOTE(angerosa @ Aug 29 2008, 04:55 PM) *

Add implies it's been in an accident saying the body work people got the body totally straight, not very clean, and the engine has been modified. Am I wrong in thinking it's not even worth half of what the reserve is?

Ebay 914-6

I dont think the ad implies accident. There's always body work when doing a repaint of a car that age. Most cars have filler in them to start with.

Hard to give the car a value without looking at it. Ask him/her what the reserve is.
r_towle
How many perfect 914/6's have you seen sell for less than 30k at this point...and I mean perfect.

Ad does not in any way imply the car had an accident...He drove it, stored it, then restored it.

Motor upgrade is just new pistons and cylinders, maybe a camshaft...if the original case is there and the numbers match, no harm.

Rich
ConeDodger
QUOTE(angerosa @ Aug 29 2008, 01:55 PM) *

Ebay 914-6

Nope... He will get that or more. A real 6 is the Holy Grail. Only thing more rare in a 914 sense are the LE cars or 916's...
type47
... well, you can always ask....
KELTY360
Where did you see the reserve listed? I just see a starting bid price with the notation that the reserve is not met. He's probably got it set in the vicinity of $25k.

He didn't do a very good job of presenting photos so we really can't tell much about it. If the body work is solid and the paint fixable, he could be right in line IMHO.
jaminM3
This is the second time it has been listed. It ended on the 22nd with no bids...

I think he really needs more pictures if he wants top dollar. confused24.gif
davep
So it has at least 220,000 miles. That is significant, and the mileage stated is then obviously misleading.
angerosa
I think 914-6 is the holy grail if it's all original and you want either a piece of history or to compete in concourse. He's changed this car, he added upgraded swaybar, springs, and he's changed interior, switched to carbs and changed the cam and exhaust. He's not clear if it's the original color. The displacement is different! So he doesn't care about history or originality. You have to spend 10K to fix it up and change a bunch of stuff back to make it worth that much.

Am I right about this? Come on as soon as changing things like displacement, you might as well be upgrading a 914. You've just ruined a 916.

I guess it might just be an expression but when you say "especially the body work was very straight" it implies the body work was needed to make it straight and the only reason it wouldn't be straight is because it was in an accident. If I was advertising it I just wouldn't use that language.

ws91420
QUOTE(angerosa @ Aug 29 2008, 10:07 PM) *

I think 914-6 is the holy grail if it's all original and you want either a piece of history or to compete in concourse. He's changed this car, he added upgraded swaybar, springs, and he's changed interior, switched to carbs and changed the cam and exhaust. He's not clear if it's the original color. The displacement is different! So he doesn't care about history or originality. You have to spend 10K to fix it up and change a bunch of stuff back to make it worth that much.

Am I right about this? Come on as soon as changing things like displacement, you might as well be upgrading a 914. You've just ruined a 916.

I guess it might just be an expression but when you say "especially the body work was very straight" it implies the body work was needed to make it straight and the only reason it wouldn't be straight is because it was in an accident. If I was advertising it I just wouldn't use that language.

Dude the only ones w/ FI are 4 cyl Orig six is carbed
ws91420
Just looking at the pics changed interior? I don't see that. He has the orignal style muffler. one of things you do in a resto is make sure the body is straight get rid of door dings make sure door gaps are right. cam and displacment you would even know unless he told you about it
angerosa
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Aug 29 2008, 11:52 PM) *

Just looking at the pics changed interior? I don't see that. He has the orignal style muffler. one of things you do in a resto is make sure the body is straight get rid of door dings make sure door gaps are right. cam and displacment you would even know unless he told you about it

He said he upgraded he upgraded the muffler! He changed cam and displacement! A 6 is only worth that much if it's original! By todays standards there is nothing special about them except that there wasn't that many of them made. Originality makes it worth a lot. Is anyone going to agree with me? Am i missing the boat on this. This one is not original anymore. You might as well have a 914 with 3.0 conversion. It will perform better and cost less. Some things he did to this car may be irreversibe. Am I crazy here? I've seen much better examples for less. I was in car show in May with one that was way better than this and it didn't win!

We must continue this at the ECC.
roadster fan
It has an original 6 Vin#. Nothing he has done cannot be put back. There are very few original cars out there. Most are restorations with replacement parts.

I think he has done a poor job of describing the car, and the paint issues I would want to see in person before I bid, but I think it could be priced right. I would'nt be surprised with the euro/dollar exchange rate that this one goes overseas.

This one has an asking price of $14,500

Click to view attachment

here is the link for more details 1970 914-6 for sale

just my .02

Jim
ws91420
QUOTE(angerosa @ Aug 29 2008, 11:51 PM) *

He said he upgraded he upgraded the muffler! He changed cam and displacement! A 6 is only worth that much if it's original! By todays standards there is nothing special about them except that there wasn't that many of them made. Originality makes it worth a lot. Is anyone going to agree with me? Am i missing the boat on this. This one is not original anymore. You might as well have a 914 with 3.0 conversion. It will perform better and cost less. Some things he did to this car may be irreversibe. Am I crazy here? I've seen much better examples for less. I was in car show in May with one that was way better than this and it didn't win!

He says in the ad he has the original muffler to go with the car. The cam and displacment changes would you know about them by looking at it unless he told you. I dont think there is anyone here that good. Springs can considered a wear item so replacing them on a 30+ year old car is understandable. Sway bar can be reversed but why it was available as an option if I'm not mistaken.

Only real detractor(sp) is the wheels are not orig but if he has the orig in storage bonus.

This is my opinion based on his ebay ad. Others may differ but if I had the money to buy it I would consider it.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(angerosa @ Aug 29 2008, 08:51 PM) *

Original? Come on....if it has the original motor...upgrades like S specs are not a bad thing. I mean Porsche deliberately put a detuned T motor in there so it wouldn't compete against the 911.
carr914
I thought the over-priced discussion only applied to 4 cyl cars. biggrin.gif

This seller is not out of line at all, but his ads aren't doing his car any good. Needs more pictures and a more detail about the car. I track $ on sales of Six's and I know of many that have sold North of $30K in the last 6 months with more mods than this car.

T.C.
rjames
I never quite understand why people get bent out of shape at another person's asking price. No one is forcing anyone to buy it. confused24.gif
gregrobbins
QUOTE(angerosa @ Aug 29 2008, 08:07 PM) *

Sorry, your not right about this. To a collector, the 914-6 VIN number alone will have great value, as will a number matching car, even if the engine has been upgraded.

Also, there is a big difference between a 914-6 and a 916, say $250,000 or more if you can find one for sale. 3,333 914-6s were built, but only 11 916s. Do some reading on the history of the 914s and you'll understand the value of a original six. Over 114,000 fours were built, that's why their so cheap.

Your right about bigger six conversions being fun to drive. There are probably more of them out there than original sixes. Scarcity is the reason original sixes are so valuable. That element appeals so some, but not others. That's life and that's just fine.

Is the seller out of line. No, not for a collector. With so many sixes going back to Europe, I expect their prices will climb pretty fast in the next few years.

I don't have an original six (would like one), but I do have an LE that I am restoring to original. Do you think I am hurting value by running replacement tires and non-factory oil in the motor? When it comes right down to it, there hasn't been an original car since the last one that sold in 1976 got its first tank of non factory gas.
johannes
In europe they ask between 30,000 and 40,000 Euros for a six ... That means $45,000 to $60,000 ...
No one will give a damn with the 2.2 as this is a very popular upgrade.
carr914
I think that another problem with selling this car is that the seller has Zero (0) feedback on eBay.

Someone close should take a look at it.
Project 6
0 feedback, not a bad thing. Everyone has to start somewhere.

That is where you get the good deals if you are local. Visit, make a private deal, laugh all the way to the resale if you so desire or have a cheap, exclusive 914world toy because you have the chutzpah to pull the trigger.

Jump on a plane if you have the where with all. Remember what one of our much abused admins always says, "914, the next 356".
r_towle
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Aug 30 2008, 09:31 PM) *

Remember what one of our much abused admins always says, "914, the next 356".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Early 911

Not the 914...not for a while...
914/6, yes
Rich
angerosa
OK - I hear ya. We'll see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.