Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire blowout
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
So im driving my car back from sears, after getting the right tires fliped (they installed the tires as 4 left.. the tires I got where directional..) Im not 10 miles away, and I hear this pop, and PPPHHhhhhhhhssss, Sounds very much like a blow off valve right next to me.. Thats fine, some guy in a turbo just passed me.. one problem, no one passed me.. Then I feel this slight tug and hardening of the steering wheel.. Instantly I slow down and pull off the road safely. Yuppers, left front tires valve stem is gone. now I just got these tires... Im saying this is my first drive over 2 miles.... 225-50-16 kumo 711's.. and I got a little pissed... Call dad, he comes with one of my cookie cutters.. switch tires and baby it home. Valve stem is not in the tire.. and it looks like it shot out. They just replaced the valvestem, and Im going to put in some bolt in valve stems. Im wondering why that stem popped out.. Dad says its because the wheel is polished.. but that doesnt make sense to me.

Andrew

Im going to put the bolt in stems on all of them, sears didnt ask me if I wanted new stems, but they put them in no charge.. nice of them.. but not good.

wacko.gif headbang.gif
Aaron Cox
ouch...bummer man! ohmy.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Any time you get new tires the stems should be replaced (with the correct size) and you shouldn't have to ask for them. The bolt in type seem like a good idea. I might do that myself. Flats really suck but a least you had help available. I've had an AAA card for years. Wouldn't be without it. I could always call my Dad but Heaven is a toll call. Cheers, Elliot
si2t3m
Same thing happened to me on the track in the middle of a fast corner (turn 8 at Tremblant). I didn't empty my shorts but it was a close call.

This happend on one of my 16x7 Fuchs. After examination, the valve stem broke at the junction of the rim. I was explained that the stem sees alot of bending with the G forces. On a track, it's fast-brake-fast-brake... So the stem get's alot of bending action.

I'll upgrade to metal stems before the next track!

Marc-André
Andyrew
Ya, I was going 40... and it just went pop... No hard driving.

Im not driving the car till I get my other wheels on there.. and then, till I get the bolt on valve stems in.

Andrew
John2kx
I've had two valve stem failures in the past 12 months. First one was a slow leak that required adding air about once a week. The second one leaked on my way home from work and required a roadside tire replacement.

I use the best tire shop in town and they could not come up with a good answer as to why this happened.

I'm running polished Fuchs.........6x16 in front and 7x16 in rear. Both of my leaks have occured with each front tire. I doubt that that polishing has anything to do with this as the tire stem hole has not been sharpened while going through polishing process. My ride is not used on the track and my street driving is more high speed than high G.

All is OK the last 5 months or so. The next time it happens, I'll upgrade to something stronger.

Where are you guys buying heavy duty (racing type) valve stems? My tire guys did not have a source and were a little nervous about specifying what would work with the Fuchs.

John
rhilgers
Do these work?

http://www.essentialstyling.com/hidden_valve_stems.htm
JWest
QUOTE(rhilgers @ Feb 3 2004, 03:33 PM)

I've used those on street rods - they are kind of a pain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.