Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many professional musicians are there here??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
sorry to contribute to the recent spike in OT posts, but reading miles' farewell thread made me think: how many of you gals/guys are professional musicians?

I'm a composer, work a lot as a conductor, teach as well. who else?
Rich Bontempi
I played Lead Guitar for a rock group during the 1968 thru 1972 period. Played at longshoremans hall (San Fransisco),Marine World (Belmont), Various battles of the bands in the Bay Area, and lots of high school and college parties. Had lots of fun. Still have a Martin classic, a Gibson ES-369 Semi-hollow body electric.
nebreitling
Sweet, Rich!

didn't know that. 'course, i know that Larry @ HPH plays bass
Rich Bontempi
I worked at a music store for 12 years!
RocknRollFrenzy
count me in........spent a good 5 years traveling up and down the west coast (though mostly cali) rockin the good rock......the avatar is actually my self at the big grand finale show......decided that we just weren't making enough money to make up for the time and effort we were putting into things.......if anyone has a hankering, feel free to check out the old band website Creekan.com. I've got loads of old merchandise sitting around if anyone actually wants some cd's or stickers or such.......
JerryP
Once upon a time. I still teach a few nights a week, playing out now and then and making my little demos mostly just for kicks. I remember feeling so cool that I built my house with money I made playing guitar. Of course I was shocked when I realized that whole mortgage payment thingy issue was going to come up every single month with the bank, who had very little sense of humor about it by the way. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Now I evaluate residential and investment properties for mortgage financing. I still study music, but I guess I'm now just a poser.....but at least we have heat(usually). I can't help but admire anyone who is able to make a living by playing. aktion035.gif

JerryP
'72 914 2.0
'90 Am Std Strat(all dirty w/3 Texas Specials)
'68 SG custom
Perez Rosewood Classical
New Martin DM
4 or 5 other beaters lying around
jtf914
I’m not, but my brother is (shameless plug) …

They are a Boston based band, and they just finished recording their first CD at Longview Studios, mastered at Gateway Studios.... Check them out: Big Top Vertigo

Click on the album cover under "Merchandise" and you can listen to the songs or buy the CD. Make sure to check out track 5 - Black Widows and Wrecking Balls

-Justin
Dave Blackburn
I am a turntablist for 9 years now. Kind like a DJ but I use my record players as an instrument to make music instead of just playing songs.
I got to play at quite a few clubs/raves but the long nights and cracked out people and travel are not worth the money. It was making my hobby into work and not fun for me anymore.
I also have a music studio to produce some electronic music. It is fun, I just do it for myself now.
I got some drums this summer and I am learning how to play them, lots of fun, but I don't know if the neighbors think so....
Dave
markb
I've been a songwriter since the 70's, hit the charts a couple times (in Europe) in the 80's, and pretty much ignore the poor guitars now. Taught thru Songwriters Workshops and wrote how-to articles for a local music magazine. Did DJ (radio & live), Hosted karaoke shows (still own a busy karaoke company), produced a few local groups in the studio. I spend lots more time on the 914 now than on the music. I don't know if that's good or not.... huh.gif

Ovation shallowbody acou/elec
Taka acou
68 Epiphone Olympic special
Epi SG 12 string electric (self built)
Eric_Shea
Me.

Guitarist. 23 year industry vet. Associate Publisher, Guitar Player and Bass Player Magazines.
736conver
If this counts I was in a 80's cover band in the mid 90's. Paid well but internal band problems, imagine that. Still have my Juno and Roland u-50. The little one, 3 year old, loves to plunk on the keys.
TheCabinetmaker
Did one night stands in bars and coffee houses for tips and beer, while traveling in the early 70's, after my tour in Southeast Asia. Did a Bob Dylan sound alike act. Have a "book" of copywrited songs, and some that weren't. Still play and write today, but don't try to make a living at it anymore. Proved to be more work than a real job, and paid less most of the time. Still do a little beginner instruction. First chair violinist senior year of High School. Member of Tulsa Youth Philharmonic Orchestra for 4 years. Also do the National Anthem acapella at local sporting events.

66 epiphone 12 string
98 Takamine g series 12 string
Lots of Lee Oscar harps
Toast
Im a wannabe. Ive been playing drums since I was 12. Did the school band thing for 6 years....marching, symphony, jazz, pep(games). Did College band for 1 year. I did make it to the State competition with the percussion ensemble in high shool! smilie_pokal.gif Had a band in highschool called Rock School. huh.gif Was in a band after high school where we did some gigs localy and played and partied for friends. smoke.gif My last band, we did a gig at the Community college, and played at bbq's and stuff. Just cant seem to find the right people to play with confused24.gif
I just recently traded my drum set (not the hardware) for VW body parts. Of couse that VW got wrecked. headbang.gif Oh well, story of my life. When I get a place with enought room to set up, I will definatly get another set.
How long must I wait. Sigh...... Ok, Im done.
Neal
Hey Eric, my daughter got the bass Player magazine, that is a great publication. Thanks again
Drummer since age 7, school band,marching band, stage band cut an album at Kay Smith Studio's in Seattle early 70's
Issaquah High School stage band,Bellevue Community College Stage band, various JR and High school bands, taught Drum lessons for a while. So not a professional but a hobbyist
My taste in music at 48 years old is harder than when I was 16, go figure. The talent in most bands today is so freaken good it's scary.
Rodgers drums,Ludwig metal snare,Zildjan and Sabian cymbals, Drum Works Bass pedal and a Gibralter Rack system to hang it all on.
Favorite drummer
David Garabaldi (Tower of Power)

Neal
Neal
P.S anyone in the Seattle area that wants to jam I have a studio area were we can turn up the Marshall stacks if you want.
I love jamming to the blues.

Neal
Eric_Shea
Hey Neal...

I believe the title of the thread was "How many professional musicians are there here??" It said nothing about drummers! w00t.gif lol3.gif

(you knew that was coming... now to quickly don the flack jacket before Schroeder and Toast read this unsure.gif )

Glad she liked the magazine. I thought she'd like Bill's editorial comment for that issue. Quite fitting. She should get one every month now. Hope she sticks with it.

E.
MattR
QUOTE(Toast @ Feb 3 2004, 10:51 AM)
...Did College band for 1 year. ...

Did you play for Riverside Community College? I was in marching band in high school, and at the time (they might still be) they were the best or one of the best marching bands in the world.
Scott S
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 3 2004, 01:15 PM)

I believe the title of the thread was "How many professional musicians are there here??" It said nothing about drummers! w00t.gif lol3.gif

(you knew that was coming... now to quickly don the flack jacket before Schroeder and Toast read this unsure.gif )

Did you hear about the guitar player that locked his keys in the car?

It took them 2 hours to get the drummer out.
wink.gif

It's all good!!!!

Started when I was 7 been in bands all of my life. Toured with the hair bands in the 80's, and with the country guys in the 90's. I started doing studio session work about 1990 or so - thats also when I secured my first endorsement deal - a c-grade (get gear for cost) from Pearl. I enjoy playing as much today as I did when I started. I still play every night - not because I am a practice nazi, but because it is fun.
My current band is a very successful local/regional group called exit 232 (www.exit232.com)
We get regular radio play on the non Clear Channel stations, we get the opportunity to play places like Red Rocks and Fiddlers Green on a fairly regular basis as an opening act, and our own shows have drawn upwards of 2000 folks. Attached is a pic from our Dillon Amphitheatre show - sold the sucker out. Besides being a car guy, I also collect vintage drums. tell someone you are into 914 Porsches and vintage drums sometime - NOT a good way to meet girls......
Scott S
Almost as cool as a Porsche!
Eric_Shea
I worked at a music store for 12 years!

Where?

Awesome kit Scott...
seanery
Looks rusty to me laugh.gif
drew365
Almost as cool as a Porsche!

But which do you have to tune more often, the drums or the Porsche?

In a previous life I was a recording engineer/ bassist/ guitarist. I had my own studio for a while. Then life and reality intervened. Growing up's a b*ch.
Anyone interested in a collection of real old Mix magazines. I mean from when it was a free newspaper. Free to a good home.
Scott S
QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 3 2004, 03:47 PM)
Looks rusty to me laugh.gif

Oh Crap - it friggen does look like rust! ohmy.gif

Sure... why not.... it all makes sense.... headbang.gif
level914
I was in three bands, not great musicians, but we played alot of gigs. we did get paid however, either money or alcohol.

Anyway, first band was named "Mesa Drive"(street where our guitar player grew up).
Second was named "fourbanger".
Third was "Level".

Not very interesting I know, but believe it or not, fourteen years after Fourbanger broke up I bought my 914 that was sitting on the side of a guys house. The house was on Mesa Drive. Never thought about the similarities until right now.
zehrschnell914
I've been playing trumpet for 26 years now, but I'm not a pro. Saw Eddie in the '80s and bought a new black Kramer Focus 6000. What a great guitar! Anyway, I sold it a couple of months ago because I just don't play it anymore. I did keep my acoustic though. Now I just have that and my Bach Stradivarious (trumpet). Used the money from the Kramer to buy 914 parts. cool.gif
Qarl
I used to play the accordion!!!
zehrschnell914
Scott's octobans (spelling?) remind me of the Bay City Rollers. S A TUR DAY NIGHT! I jealous now!
Rich Bontempi
I went to work at a music store in Redwood City Ca, called Goetz Brothers in 1964 and stayed there until 1976. Which is where I purchased all my shure microphones, Rickenbacker 12 string(for house of the rising sun) Gibson les paul jr, Gibson Sg special,Framus acoustic,Martin classical,Fender twin reverb with two dual showman bottoms ETC. Of course I was working there in the middle of the Beatles invasion and all the Vox equipment that we sold. I personally sold a Martin classical to Neil Young around christmas time in 1966.He lives in Woodside Ca. I had first dibs on all the new equipment that came out during those years, so our band was well equipped. WA Wa pedals, fuzz boxes and all the sound effects that came out during that time!It was a lot of fun!
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Rich Bontempi @ Feb 4 2004, 09:26 PM)
Which is where I purchased...Rickenbacker 12 string(for house of the rising sun) Gibson les paul jr, Gibson Sg special...Martin classical,Fender twin reverb with two dual showman bottoms..WA Wa pedals, fuzz boxes...It was a lot of fun!

With the age stats of this board, a more appropriate question may be who ISN'T or WASN'T a professional musician. laugh.gif

But Wow...Rich, your post woke up some memories! My second guitar was a 1944 Martin D-18 (paid 250.00 for it)! Followed by a brand new 1971 black Gibson Les Paul, Gibson 12-string (with a Barcus Berry Pickup), and Gibson SG, all run thru either a Sun head with Fender Bass cabinet, or a Fender Twin Reverb with wa-wa pedals and fuzz box!

We'd usually rehearse with a case of beer and EVERYTHING plugged in...Hah! smoke.gif

Performed as a house band for ALMOST 3 weeks. I remember some of it..... wacko.gif

My first guitar?....a 50.00 cat-gut strung classical. I traded a hand-made leather stash bag for it, plus some lessons. Hah! You're RIGHT.... it was ALL just too much fun....

Today I listen mainly to jazz.........and maybe a lil' Nirvana.
markb
A couple years ago my business partner and I decided to do a duo on monday nights at a local spot. Started out with 5 guitars, 3 amps, and a ton of toys. Wound up 6 months later with 2 acoustics thru my Fender Bassman & 2 12's. Simplicity got the better of us. smile.gif
RocknRollFrenzy
I've always seemed to notice an inverse proportion to the amount of equipment a band hauls around and how good they are. i always thought it was funny when guys showed up to gigs with walls of marshalls and the sound guys would make them unplug half the stack and turn it way down cause they mic'ed everything though the house pa anyway......my little 4x10 bassman always sounded way better too........and i could carry it without breaking my back. a little experience goes a long way.....same seems to go for cars too......i bet some of you could rebuild my car with a toothpick and a piece of string. blindfolded. laugh.gif
markb
QUOTE(RocknRollFrenzy @ Feb 5 2004, 01:18 AM)
i bet some of you could rebuild my car with a toothpick and a piece of string. blindfolded. laugh.gif

Actually, duct tape & bailing wire is the norm around here.... cool.gif
redshift
So, let's try this again... (frowny depicting 2 days of someone hacking my network)..

I have been playing 34 years, got my first guitar for my fifth birthday. I graduated GIT the year I bought my first teener. I have been playing professionally, in once sense, or another since the year before that.

I have been collecting guitars since I was 14, I think. I have one guitar for every year I have been playing.. -deep breath-...

I have every itteration of Les Paul, '53-'60, a '53 Goldtop with a wrap around, a '55 Custom with an alnico, a '56 Goldtop with a tuneomatic, a '57 Goldtop with humbuckers, 2 '58 3 pickup Customs (ONE FOR SALE!) and the Flamer (bought when I was 16 for) a '60 doublecut TV Jr., 2 Rics, '66 360 double bound, and a '57 pre-Capri, a '29/'30 fiddle edge Dobro, a National Style 1 tricone (round neck!) a '37 Advanced Jumbo, the orange sparkle Strat, uhh.... '71 cany apple Telecaster, a '67 candy apple Flying V, a proto '56 Futura, without serial, and pre PAF humbuckers, a '73 BC Rich Seagull(ish), 2 '70s Mockingbirds, a '69 Doubleneck, a '76 Dean Z, and a few others... uhh... and a couple Supro, and Ricky lap steels.

Did I forget anything important? Maybe..

I sold my completely mint '60-'62 SG Les Paul collection three years ago, 1 Custom, 9 Standards.

I play Hammond, a bit of piano, guitar, bass, mandolin, most anything with strings, hand percussion, and a Mellotron. Oh, I have toob amps too, and I collect effects.

One of my best friends has over 1000 guitars in his collection, I envy him. I know maybe 10 guys with 500, or more.

beerchug.gif

OH! blink.gif I also have a hash pipe, that Clapton gave Hendrix! NEVER USED IT.

wink.gif

'Scuse me...

M
blonde914
Does dancing on the speakers at REO concerts count? They say that is why I am deaf now. I'm not deaf I just don't want to hear it!
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(redshift @ Feb 5 2004, 07:02 PM)
So, let's try this again... (frowny depicting 2 days of someone
I have been collecting guitars since I was 14, I think. I have one guitar for every year I have been playing.. -deep breath-...

OH! blink.gif I also have a hash pipe, that Clapton gave Hendrix! NEVER USED IT.

Pics of some of those guitars would be cool.....

And a few more details on that pipe story would be....appropriate....or is that aopiate? wacko.gif
redshift
Sure!

I got it from a very good friend of mine, who was very ill, and super Hendrix freak. He got the pipe from a business partner in Miami, who had *gotten* it from his sister, who used to hang out with the Experience, in NYC.... she went born again, and threw it out in like 1976, with some of his scarfs!... so the brother went diving in the trash for it.

flamer
redshift
Vee.. sorry, I dont always have a camera, it's Goldtop night here.. smile.gif

M
StratPlayer
Simply BEAUTIFUL Miles wub.gif pray.gif
redshift
Can't find the recent Strat pics, I lost a bunch of files.. sad.gif

This one is restored now (finished yesterday!) with a new neck, in place of the broken one from last year... oops..

M

Fiddle_Edge Dobro
redshift
heh.. the V looks much darker, and better than it is.. you can barely see the deep checking on the right-hand point.. I like it better this way.

M
Toast
I know you wouldn't leave us for long M. laugh.gif
V's were always my favorite looking Guitars.
aktion035.gif
Toast
QUOTE(drew365 @ Feb 3 2004, 03:48 PM)
But which do you have to tune more often, the drums or the Porsche?

Believe it or not, Drums. I had an ancient set of CB 700 that I had to spend half of my playing time Every time I play tuning the damn things and still hated the way they sounded. Traded it for VW body parts. rolleyes.gif
mikey
I like your avatar of Igor Stravinsky!

I'm a pianist, accompanist, whatever. I was a bass in the San Francisco Symphony Chorus for about 5 years. Got out of it because of the lousy director, IMHO. One of the last things I did with the group was Stravinsky. (Symphony of Psalms)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.