Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper Park problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mpissaquah
When turning my wipers off they do not park in the normal position. Instead of parking in the lower left side of the windshield, they swing back up a bit and park a in an annoying position in front of the field of visions. ie: park position takes the wipers back up the right a bit instead of placing them all the way down to the left. It's as if something is reversed for parking and instead of going all the way down and to the left, they go back up a bit to the right. It appears everything is wired correctly.

See picture for where they park currently.

I've searched the discussions and cant seem to find any answers. so I turn to the wise members for help
904svo
Off hand I would say its time for a new wipermotor,or you have a bad electrical
connection on the wiper motor. The stop postion is controlled on the wiper motor
thru a cam.
mpissaquah
QUOTE(904svo @ Aug 31 2008, 01:50 PM) *

connection on the wiper motor. The stop postion is controlled on the wiper motor
thru a cam.

The wiper motor is new...... it moves to a "park" setting, its jsut back to teh right instead of to the far left.
904svo
QUOTE(mpissaquah @ Aug 31 2008, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(904svo @ Aug 31 2008, 01:50 PM) *

thru a cam.

The wiper motor is new...... it moves to a "park" setting, its jsut back to teh right instead of to the far left.

Then readjust the wiper arm to where you want it.

Spoke
QUOTE(mpissaquah @ Aug 31 2008, 03:35 PM) *

Instead of parking in the lower left side of the windshield, they swing back up a bit and park a in an annoying position in front of the field of visions.

It sounds like the arm attachment to the motor is off. If the wipers stop at the same place every time, the arm assembly attached to the motor is off.

Had a similar issue with a headlight motor. In the up position, the headlight was not pointed up enough. Realized that the arm to the motor was misaligned such that the headlight would go up ok, but park just after the full up position.
orange914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 31 2008, 07:20 PM) *

Instead of parking in the lower left side of the windshield, they swing back up a bit and park a in an annoying position in front of the field of visions.

It sounds like the arm attachment to the motor is off. If the wipers stop at the same place every time, the arm assembly attached to the motor is off.

i think spoke is saying the wipers are in the right position (going left to right in the right pattern), it just keeps going and parking later than where it should... no???

mike

mpissaquah
QUOTE(orange914 @ Aug 31 2008, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 31 2008, 07:20 PM) *

i think spoke is saying the wipers are in the right position (going left to right in the right pattern), it just keeps going and parking later than where it should... no???

mike

It does not seem like a motor attachemnt issue. When I turn the wipers off they continue thier motion, then swing bakc all the way to the left, then finaly (park) back up to the the right about 4-5 inches, instead of all the way to the left. It seems they should park furhter left (down) than they do while operating.
Spoke
The wipers should park at the lowest travel of the arms. Since the electrical contacts for motor travel are in the motor assembly, there is no way to adjust the motor to change where the arms park.

The motor mechanism just goes around a circle and stops at one point. This stopping point should coincide with the arm assembly (not just the wiper arm but the whole moving assembly) being at their lowest position. If the motor assembly has splines, perhaps the arm assembly is off by one spline?

On my 71, the wipers park in the extreme right position so the arm assembly has been connected to the motor exactly 180 degrees off from normal where the wipers park on the left side.
Eric_Shea
If the motor assembly has splines, perhaps the arm assembly is off by one spline?

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...
mpissaquah
This all makes sence except that it does not appear to be how mine is performing. They park about 1/3rd of the way between the far left travel and far right travel and ned up near the middle fo the windshield.

QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 1 2008, 07:16 AM) *

The wipers should park at the lowest travel of the arms. Since the electrical contacts for motor travel are in the motor assembly, there is no way to adjust the motor to change where the arms park.

The motor mechanism just goes around a circle and stops at one point. This stopping point should coincide with the arm assembly (not just the wiper arm but the whole moving assembly) being at their lowest position. If the motor assembly has splines, perhaps the arm assembly is off by one spline?

On my 71, the wipers park in the extreme right position so the arm assembly has been connected to the motor exactly 180 degrees off from normal where the wipers park on the left side.
zambezi
QUOTE(mpissaquah @ Sep 23 2008, 12:47 AM) *

This all makes sence except that it does not appear to be how mine is performing. They park about 1/3rd of the way between the far left travel and far right travel and ned up near the middle fo the windshield.

The wiper motor output shaft has splines that match with the arm to the wiper linkages. If you disconnect the arm from the motor you can move the wipers down to where you want them to park. The motor does not know where the arms are in relation to its park position of its cam. The motor simply rotates a full 360 degrees. In the park position it will always stop at the same location. If you have the arm 90 degree out of position on the splines, the arms would stop in the straight up position, so your problem still lies in the placement of the arm to the output shaft of the motor.
JIM
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(mpissaquah @ Sep 22 2008, 11:47 PM) *

Mine do this a little. The suggestions about moving to a different spline won't fix the problem. This would make the wipers travel too far down towards the cowl when the wipers are on. I suspect my problem is a sloppy linkage. I think it is all too loose allowing the wipers coasts up more than it should.
zambezi
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 23 2008, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(mpissaquah @ Sep 22 2008, 11:47 PM) *

Mine do this a little. The suggestions about moving to a different spline won't fix the problem. This would make the wipers travel too far down towards the cowl when the wipers are on. I suspect my problem is a sloppy linkage. I think it is all too loose allowing the wipers coasts up more than it should.

You must move the spline of the arm at the motor not the spline of the wiper arm. The complete travel of the wipers left to right is designed in the lengths of the entire wiper mechanisms. To change the over all travel you would have to redesign the wiper linkages. If you disconnect the arm at the motor you can freely move the wipers left and right by hand and they should never be too low to the cowl unless you have them timed wrong at the splines at the wiper arms themselves.
Dave_Darling
It sounds like people are getting confused about the splines, here.

There are two sets of splines. One set is the obvious ones, where the wiper arms bolt on to the shafts that stick out through the cowl.

The second set is where the wiper motor itself attaches to the linkage that the first set of splines are attached to.

The second set is the one that is misaligned, changing where the wipers park.

--DD
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 23 2008, 09:38 AM) *

It sounds like people are getting confused about the splines, here.

There are two sets of splines. One set is the obvious ones, where the wiper arms bolt on to the shafts that stick out through the cowl.

The second set is where the wiper motor itself attaches to the linkage that the first set of splines are attached to.

The second set is the one that is misaligned, changing where the wipers park.

--DD

pray.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.