Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch problems......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fuzzybear1981
I have done a 914 conversion on my vw beetle and i cant work the clutch asembly out......I push the pedal and it doesnt return?? is there supposed to be a spring of sorts there??
r_towle
You are using the beetle transmission?
If so, your pressure plate will push back against the throw out bearing and that will release the tension on the cable.

The pedal assembly has a round spring that holds the pedal up, but this spring is resting on the floorboards to gets its lever.

If you are using the right parts for the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel, that may be ok.
You may have just mounted the pedal assembly wrong or there is a hold in the floor...that happens.

Rich
Dave_Darling
On the 914, the pedal cluster spring pulls the pedal down to the floor. (If your clutch cable breaks some day, you'll see that effect.) The only thing pulling the cable back up is the pressure plate pushing on the throwout bearing and the throwout arm, which pulls on the cable, which pulls the pedal up.

If your pedal doesn't return, there's a problem with the cable/throwout arm/throwout bearing.

--DD
fuzzybear1981
thanks for the replies, i am using a 914 box, beetle cable and beetle pedal assembly so there is no spring on the clutch......does anyone have a pic please???
Dave_Darling
It's part #33 in the following diagram:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/Parts/Peda...al_assy_big.htm

--DD
r_towle
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 2 2008, 02:55 AM) *

It's part #33 in the following diagram:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/Parts/Peda...al_assy_big.htm

--DD

Dave...slow down and read.

thanks for the replies, i am using a 914 box, beetle cable and beetle pedal assembly so there is no spring on the clutch......does anyone have a pic please???

I need to go look at my sons beetle, but I remember the pedal does/did have some sort of spring to get it back up standing straight.
Its the same one as the brake spring...
Its a light spring, but its enough to get the pedal up...that is all it does.

I would suggest you take a few pics...you got a 914 box into a beetle...how?
the 914 tranny is mid engine with a pull system.
the beetle is rear engined with a pull clutch.

So, did you flip the ring and pinion in the 914 tranny?
What clutch and pressure plate are you using?
What cable are you using and how is it routed?
you are going to need to have a perfect length cable, possibly a custom cable for this to work...which a doable.
Which beetle cable are you using? There are two lengths at least...probably more.
Super and standard beetle are different lengths.

Standard beetle has a spring on the adjuster knob to keep light tension.

Take a few pics of the tranny and how you mounted it.
Rich
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 2 2008, 07:14 AM) *

Dave...slow down and read.

I did. He did not specify which pic he wanted--since he already has a Beetle pedal cluster, I assumed he wanted to know what the spring on the 914 looked like.

--DD
r_towle
gotcha...

Nice sig BTW...multiple national champion....hmmmm

Got the car back from the body shop yet??

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.