Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric Supercharger conv?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racerbvd
Anyone remember the Super Charger kit that Phil was putting together??

I have all the bits that he assemembled and his notes, and am trying to figure out how to make this system work.
SGB
Well I remember that it was determined that you need a LOT of air. How big is the blower (CFM I guess)?
racerbvd
Click to view attachment Here is one of the Drawings

LowGT
Any reason for the air-to-water IC? I know they are more efficient, but once the water gets warm it loses all it's benefits. I don't see an electric supercharger heating the air to the degree an exhaust driven turbine would. If you are willing to run tubing for a radiator, I would go ahead and run tubing and do air-to-air instead, IMO.

I've hand built two turbo systems for cars that were not 914s and I've seen many kits made for other cars that were electric superchargers. It never seemed like they were worth the hassle and produced a weak amount of boost.
Dave_Darling
I hope you have one heck of an electrical system to power that thing. If not, it's not gonna move enough air to make much of a difference, and can (and probably will!) act as a significant restriction in the intake...

--DD
banger
There are some real electric superchargers already available on the market. None of these blowers people pass off on ebay as being a supercharger. Basically they are similar to a vortech supercharger, but are driver by an electric motor. The downside is that they typically run on 42 volts. This would require adding a second alternator to power it, which in the end might actually be easier to do than running an exhaust driven turbocharger.
DBCooper
I've only heard scam claims so am skeptical. Can you give more info, a link?
melnyk
QUOTE(banger @ Sep 1 2008, 08:50 AM) *

There are some real electric superchargers already available on the market. None of these blowers people pass off on ebay as being a supercharger. Basically they are similar to a vortech supercharger, but are driver by an electric motor. The downside is that they typically run on 42 volts. This would require adding a second alternator to power it, which in the end might actually be easier to do than running an exhaust driven turbocharger.

if youre going to add to the belt why not just put in a vortech?
banger
Electric superchargers do have some advantages, since they are not belt driven. This allows you to dial in the boost for any given motor rpm. This way you dont have to wait for the turbo or supercharger to "spool up"
charliew
I don't personally believe you can make 5 psi with a electric charger at the volume you will need for a 2.0 liter motor. If you have to add additional batteries and alternator supply the additional weight and power drain will offset the small boost it will give.
I've been wrong a couple of times in my life but not about automotive stuff this could be a first.
To make HP out of a specific size motor it will need a specific amount of air. I don't know the formula but a lot of people do. I know that 300 hp on a sbc needs about 500 cfm so try to make your blower make cfm and see what you can get.
A 2.0 wrx runs on about 12 psi I think. They make about 220 hp. I don't know if anyone has published the cfm. For example my sons sti is making 25 psi with a 30r turbo and making about 375 hp at the awd wheels. He is probably getting 8 or 900 cfm to the motor. There are some good books on pressurizing motors. Before you spend very much money I would buy a book.
There is a vw shop that turbos vw motors and they might know the cfm requirements.
A belt driven alternator that will supply enough amps to drive a electric blower will have more hp drain by far than a turbo, thats why you see so many turbos.
DBCooper
QUOTE(banger @ Sep 1 2008, 09:26 AM) *

Electric superchargers do have some advantages, since they are not belt driven. This allows you to dial in the boost for any given motor rpm. This way you dont have to wait for the turbo or supercharger to "spool up"

For example? Do you have a link?

That"s not only a lot of air, but a lot of air under a lot of pressure.
banger
Turbodyne, electric supercharger

This site provides more technical info
Turbopac 2500
DBCooper
You'd think a company would use their website to trumpet anything special they had to offer. Funny that the automotive part of the "our technology" section in that website contains only general claims of "increases torque" and "increases horsepower" without quantifying anything. And the language seems deliberately non-specific. So how much CFM air does it flow? What pressures? You could blow a whiff of extra air into an intake and "increase horsepower" by 0.000001 percent and those wouldn't be false claims, but the product certainly wouldn't be worth your time... or money.

Got anything better than that?
DBCooper
Good, that second site is more helpful but still not real exciting. You need 250 amps to get 400 cfm of flow at only 2.5 psi, and that's at 24V. that's not a lot. For comparison a turbo motor would be giving you over 10 psi right about then, and that's "free" energy from an exhaust flow you'd have in any case. Even the Volvo "low pressure" turbos give you twice that psi, so that's sure not kick in the pants kind of power.
racerbvd
Yea, I couldn't find out much either, but Phil researched this subject, and spent a good bit of cash having this stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.