Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: I have now added to my largest screw ups when putting in an engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LarryR
Well I have not been posting much since I have been putting an engine in my 911. I sold it to a friend of mine and part of the deal was that I would put the engine of his choice in. So he bought a rebuilt 3.0 from another friend of mine and I am thinking sweet 1 day job and I am done...

Well the first 1 day job I get it all put back together go to hit the key and clunk starter engages and the engine wont turn ERR??? so I break out the multi meter and measure the battery, then measure the battery under load, then measure the voltage at the starter and again under load there... WTF I know that Dan has built a lot of engines or I would not have recommended the engine from him so I proceed to try to turn the engine over at the crank ... no freakin way seems like the engine is siezed!!!

Fast forward to this weekend I pull the engine then get the trans off... pull the clutch and pressure plate... cha ching the engine will turn... I used the wrong bolts to the pressure plate... these were actually a set of cv bolts that are the same size etc but about 15 mm longer than flywheel bolts. they torqued down fine but stick out far enough to hit a rib on the back of the case...

So this now goes down as one of my biggest screw ups. I bolted it back together with the right bolts and viola running SC. beerchug.gif I figured some of you might get a laugh out of that.
Dr. Roger
i call that a brilliant move in that you didn't break out the 2 foot breaker bar and force it to turn over. beerchug.gif

those, and the shallow flywheel bolts are some of the specialty bolts which i prefer to not talk about at public level...... happy11.gif

good work.

roger
plymouth37
You are not alone, I too have had the pleasure of "seizing" an engine with the wrong pressure plate bolts. DOH!
LarryR
I am glad to hear that I am not alone smile.gif

Well at least now it is running... I have to finish fabing up the computer mount (went from 78 engine to 82 so it has a lambda computer) and I will be done and can get to work on my 72 914.

LarryR
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Aug 31 2008, 08:55 PM) *

i call that a brilliant move in that you didn't break out the 2 foot breaker bar and force it to turn over. beerchug.gif

those, and the shallow flywheel bolts are some of the specialty bolts which i prefer to not talk about at public level...... happy11.gif

good work.

roger

That was an instinct that I faught off. I almost threw my jack handle on there but thought ok this cant be right maybe the timing chain came off ... insert possiblities here... and thought ok its quick to drop the engine so went that route. beerchug.gif
sww914
I wouldn't call that stupid, everyone screws up. The difference between a good mechanic and a bad one is how he handles his mistakes. You handled it well without compounding the error with bad decision making. I've tried it both ways, I like your way better. biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Aug 31 2008, 11:18 PM) *

I wouldn't call that stupid, everyone screws up. The difference between a good mechanic and a bad one is how he handles his mistakes. You handled it well without compounding the error with bad decision making. I've tried it both ways, I like your way better. biggrin.gif

I agree, and it happened to a friend of mine. His friends got a lot of mileage out of that. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(LarryR @ Aug 31 2008, 08:24 PM) *

I am glad to hear that I am not alone smile.gif

Well at least now it is running... I have to finish fabing up the computer mount (went from 78 engine to 82 so it has a lambda computer) and I will be done and can get to work on my 72 914.

I once bought a Datsun motor with a similar screw-up. I figured I could use the parts so I bought if for about 25cents on the dolllar of what the guy had in it. Then I found the wrench under the timing cover. I gave him back the wrench biggrin.gif
angerosa
About 3 weeks ago we took my engine and transmission out to put in new seals. We found about 18 inches of 5/8 fuel hose in the fan impeller.

My guess is when the PO upgraded to carbs, they replaced the fuel pump and ran new lines. They left the left-over line on top of the engine and it fell down and got sucked in.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.