Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Tools
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
What is the smallest compressor ( tank storage and PSI) that can be used with air tools in my gaurage. Usually I see pretty good size tanks on wheels; I would like to keep the size down to the tight space I have to work with.
HeloMech
REALLY depends on the tools. Something like an impact wrench isn't as needy since it's just short bursts, whereas a DA Sander is an air hungry wh*re. For tires, maybe an air ratchet, blow gun? No need to go to 220, stick with a little upright 110vt jobby with, hm, 20-30'ish gallons? Just based on the space issue.

Otherwise, 220, dual stage, 100+ gallon upright with at least 5hp.... 9jillion cfm at 23jillion psi... that's what I'D buy...
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 1 2008, 03:24 PM) *

What is the smallest compressor ( tank storage and PSI) that can be used with air tools in my gaurage.

What air tools are you using?
If you buy a compressor thats put out less air then your gnarliest tool uses, you will have a busted compressor within an hour or too.

If you buy a compressor that is too small, you will be very limited in what tools you can use with it. If all you want to do is use it for a nail gun and a air imapct wrench, you can go small. If you want to use air sanders and HVLP guns to paint your car, you need to go 60 gallon minimum (bolt to floor kind).

What tools are you planning on using? That will determine what compressor you need.

Zach

roadster fan
All depends on the cfm requirements of your tools like others said. With space issues you could place the compressor remotely and run hard lines to your shop space if you have space outside the workspace somewhere.

Jim
736conver
A common misconception is you have to have a big air storage tank for high CFM. You can have a nice compact unit and still have high cfm. It all depends on your compressor motor.
I had a nice gas powered one, I think it was a 6.5hp honda. Storage tank was about 20 gallon. And it was on wheels. I could roll it anywhere and have compressed air. The cfm out of that compressor was about 17. More then enough for any air tool and wasnt any longer then my kids wagon.
Heeltoe914
HI Jim it’s true get a good size upright that takes up little floor space and can still fit under a cabinet. Thay have some good Husky tanks at HD that have a quit setting so you don’t have condo problem. I think the smallest would be like a 20 gallon1.5-2hp. If you do a lot of sanding, polishing the bigger the tank the better 40gal +.
Its also true that you can get a small tank and a big motor but big motors make big noise in a condo thats not going to go over very well.
Brett W
Stay away from the oil-less compressors. They are noisy as hell. Why not put it outside the garage in a small enclosure and run a line into the garage. Then you can get what ever you want and not have to sacrifice performance for space. Or get all electric tools and skip air all together.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 2 2008, 08:06 AM) *

Stay away from the oil-less compressors. They are noisy as hell. Why not put it outside the garage in a small enclosure and run a line into the garage. Then you can get what ever you want and not have to sacrifice performance for space. Or get all electric tools and skip air all together.

Thanks to all for the help. I have a good idea now and I like the outside installation idea.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 2 2008, 11:06 AM) *

Or get all electric tools and skip air all together.

That's funny... I went with air so I could skip electric tools altogether. smile.gif
r_towle
large air suckers are a DA, any sander, paint tools, and any grinder type tool. The issue is how they use air...its a constant stream of air to make those tools work.

I have had my impact gun and racket work from an $89.00 super small tankless compressor and they work fine.

I finally ended up wit a huge 220V compressor, and I still have several of the smaller ones, including the really small one.

You can run any air tool, its just a matter or how long the compressor gets to sit and cool dowm between filling the tank...if it runs all the time the compressor will break down fairly quickly.

My buddy bought the biggest one HD sells and built his house...he went through three compressors by the time he was done and ended up under warranty each time...

Rich
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 2 2008, 08:44 AM) *

My buddy bought the biggest one HD sells and built his house...he went through three compressors by the time he was done and ended up under warranty each time...

Rich

This looks like HD has a good warranty but lousy compressors. I would think their biggest one would last under continuous usage longer than his apparently did.
charliew
If you ever decide to do any sandblasting you will need a 20 or 25 cfm compressor and that means 220 single phase or three phase if you have it the electric cost are the 3 ph. cost half as much.
If you use a 50 foot hose the requirements at the end of the hose means the pressure must usually be doubled at the beginning of the hose to have enough at the end.
I use a 50 gallon storage tank, It's actually a old hot water tank, to pull from and catch water right before the hose. It also helps on the compressor recovery.
When I use the straight line sander, the compressor runs continously and it's a 19 cfm two stage 5 hp. 60 gallon tank upright. I hook up an additional 2 1/2 hp 220 single phase portable compressor when I sandblast. I can barley get by on the larger compressor when I use the bead blast cabinet. The electric meter is a blur.
I bought one of the kits to make a compressor out of a 1600 type 1 vw but haven't put it together yet. It is susposed to make a lot of cfm ( seems like 56) for blasting.
carr914
Here is the Out-House I built to house my 60 Gallon 220V compressor. It gets ventilation, stays dry and keeps the noise out of the garage.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
sww914
I've been using a 7HP 60 gallon 220 Husky from HD for 5 years of body & paint, mechanical, whatever I need all day long. I've been very impressed and it only cost $400.00. I'd buy another one.
Don't ever buy a compressor with the motor and pump integrated, the oil free type. They're pure junk. I had 2 Craftsman compressors like that, they both sent the "rod" through the middle of the "piston". The first was still in warranty, the second wasn't. Never again. Just make sure it has oil and a belt.
zymurgist
QUOTE(sww914 @ Sep 2 2008, 09:03 PM) *

I've been using a 7HP 60 gallon 220 Husky from HD for 5 years of body & paint, mechanical, whatever I need all day long. I've been very impressed and it only cost $400.00. I'd buy another one.

agree.gif

That's what I have. I used it for a lot of sandblasting when I was rebuilding the Corvette. I sandblasted and powder coated most of the suspension pieces, engine brackets, etc. Went through a lot of sand and the compressor handled it like a champ.
jd74914
agree.gif

I have that same compressor and it works great. The bigger tank is nice when painting; if you let it pump up it takes a while to go through it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.