Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side shift to tail shift....can it be done?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
I have a very good side shift tranny available. I have a '70 car with a weak tail shift tranny. Is it possible to swap tail shift linkage parts to the side shifter and install in my car? By that I mean, will it work just like the original?
drgchapman
This is sitting on E-bay right now........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW
Porsche Rescue
Thanks Gary. I have a tranny out of my orange low mile car sitting at Camp 914. But I don't want to switch my car to a side shifter. I know, I'm crazy, but I want to maintain originality of my '70.
computers4kids
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Sep 1 2008, 06:34 PM) *

Thanks Gary. I have a tranny out of my orange low mile car sitting at Camp 914. But I don't want to switch my car to a side shifter. I know, I'm crazy, but I want to maintain originality of my '70.

I have a good 1970 tailshifter that came with my v-8 parts car. It's yours for $100 plus shipping.
JRust
Hey Jim,
Long time no talk. Been a long time since my pizza parlor days & our couple summer 914 meets. Hope you are doing well down in Ashland biggrin.gif

I've got a tailshift out of my v8 car from when I swapped to a sideshift. It is in good shape but did have 1st blocked off. If you want it you are welcome to it. You'd have to pick it up though.
Porsche Rescue
Hi Jamie. I see you couldn't shake the addiction either!
My tranny is not shot, just tired. The side shifter I have only has about 40,000 miles on it. I'm just wondering if I can make it work in my '70 without doing a side shift conversion.
r_towle
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Sep 1 2008, 09:02 PM) *

I have a very good side shift tranny available. I have a '70 car with a weak tail shift tranny. Is it possible to swap tail shift linkage parts to the side shifter and install in my car? By that I mean, will it work just like the original?

Yes its quite possible.
From the tail shifter you need the following
Rear tail section.
Internal shifter rods
Shifter fork (looks like an F with three legs)
I cant recall if you need the 1st/reverse gear setup or not.. I think they are interchangable.

You will need a new gasket for the tail piece.
You will want to use the side shift gear stack in the tail shifter case.
Your ring and pinion may not be perfectly setup, but I have done a few the other way and they all still run fine...its really dependant upon how bad the bearings are currently.

Rich
Porsche Rescue
Thanks Rich. That helps. Sounds too complex for my skills. Guess I'll drive mine as is until it howls too much. Then probably do a side shift conversion. I can do that.
r_towle
What is wrong with yours?
Porsche Rescue
Just bought the car. Shifts OK but a little bearing noise (not real bad). Pulled the plug to check gear lube. Damn near empty. I don't think I got more than a cup out of it. Don't know how long it has been "runnin' on empty"! Car had hardly been driven in the last 10 years, but I don't think gear oil leaks much when a car is sitting. I drove it 75 miles home at 70. I will refill and keep driving. May last a long time, but may not. That possibility made me think of the good side shift tranny that I have on the shelf.
r_towle
Fill it up with GL5 gear oil and drive it till it screams.

Rich
Porsche Rescue
Will do. Thanks
Dr Evil
I am still unclear as to what you are wanting to do. Are you wanting to put a side shift into a tail shift year car? A tail shift into a side shift year car? Convert a good side shift tranny into a tail shift tranny? All of these are possible. To put a side or tail into a car originally with the other you will need the sifter bits from the stick to the box and the engine mount. To convert a side shift box to a tail you need some internals and the know how to install them correctly.

Low lube = bad news, worn parts, etc. I can convert the gear stack for you for low $ if you are willing to pull the stacks. Let me know if I can help smile.gif
Porsche Rescue
Convert sideshift to tail shift. I have a one-owner low mile '70 that I want to keep original. If my current tranny does not hold up, I will be in touch. Thanks Doc.
Dr Evil
Right on. I got your back if/when you need me. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.