Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me SCCA AutoX class my car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
tommott77
First post here and I have read through the first couple pages and hate to be a jackass (I have seen how many of these questions have already been asked) but I need help in finding a SCCA AutoX class for my 914. Now this one might be a little more fun than some of the others, as I am the process of building the car and will be listening to some recommendations for the class that I will be running in due to the mods that I have already completed.

Okay here is what I have installed at this point.
-74' chasis
-901 transmission
-Porsche-6 2.0L w/ Webers, heater-less headers, and dual independent exhausts.
-Stock interior
-Stock body, except for fiberglass 7" and 9" Flares, and fiberglass F/R bumpers, fiberglass rockers

Here is what else I have that is not installed
- 911S donor suspension/brakes for the front
-5 lug wheel adapters for the rear

Here is what I don't have and am waiting for some recommendations dependent on what class I might have put myself in at this point.
-Wheels
-Tires (need to go w/ street tires)
-No cage/roll bar
-Any different brakes suspension recommendations that might be competitive at the class I would be more than likely running.

Uber thanks to anybody that takes all the time to give me some help. If this is little too specific feel free to share some other resources that might be of assistance. From me reading the rule book I am not 100% sure but I am thinking Street Prepared A or SM2 assuming that it is a 914/6, unless if I am missing but this could very well be the case.
GaroldShaffer
I would say SM2 based on what you have said here.
blitZ
I'd agree with SM2. It's the class I am in with my modified 4 banger. It's a challenging class with modified Vettes and Miaters. I came in third yesterday, you should have a good time with your 6 in that class.
tommott77
QUOTE(blitZ @ Sep 2 2008, 09:48 AM) *

I'd agree with SM2. It's the class I am in with my modified 4 banger. It's a challenging class with modified Vettes and Miaters. I came in third yesterday, you should have a good time with your 6 in that class.

Is there something specific that I have done already that would disqualify me from Street Prepared A? If not how competitive is that class in your different regions.

SM2 is a very popular class in my region filled with all sorts of heavily modded Miaters, it sounds like this is the same w/ many 914ers out there. Any recommendations (or tricks stirthepot.gif ) from people that run against Maiters out there in this class on what else I can do to my project at this point to stay competitive. I have a feeling that the 2.0L 6 will make me somewhat competitive right out of the box. What size wheels would you guys recommend (I think 7"s and 9"s will fit under the flares), what are the popular street tires to run these days (I have had my eyes on the Dunlap Direizza Star Specs), how far can I go w/ a roll bar/cage or any other helpful suspension/brake tidbits that will lead to this driving.gif
blitZ
Most of the guys in my region SM2 run slicks. I have some Avons, which were on sale on tire rack. Suspension setup is critical. Lower the car as much as possible (bump steer kit), bigger adjustable sway up front, heavier adjustable coil overs in the rear. Then an aggressive alignment and corner balance.

After that drive, drive drive.... driving.gif
jhadler
It depends on what you aim to do. The mods that really matter are pretty much legal for ASP. However, the F/G bumpers and 5 lug hubs are what take you out of Street Prepared.

SM2 is a fun class, and locally, you can usually have a good time. Nationally, it's a whole 'nuther game. Think 500+ hp RX-7's... Yeah...

If you want to be competitive, then DOT-R tires, as much as you can shoehorn under the fenders, on as wide a wheel as you can fit, will be the ticket. That, and a real suspension.

Shocks springs and bars first.
Wheels and tires next.

If you just want to play, run what you've got for now in SM2, and have a blast. Once you decide to part with your future retirement savings, read the rules carefully and decide how you would like to build the car.

Building a fully competitive 914 in SM2 can be done, but it won't be cheap...

Neither will an XP, FP, DM or EM car for that matter...

-Josh2
jhadler
QUOTE(blitZ @ Sep 2 2008, 06:58 AM) *

Most of the guys in my region SM2 run slicks.

Just to clarify, I think you mean DOT-R tires. Slicks are a totally different animal all together....

But yeah, Drive, Drive, Drive... Nothing makes a driver better than seat time.

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
Josh has very good advice.
Pretty much exactly what I would have said.

Getting extremely low is not that important however. It tends to screw with geometry. 4 to 4 1/2" at the lift donuts is what I have found to be low enough.
tommott77
QUOTE(jhadler @ Sep 2 2008, 06:21 PM) *

It depends on what you aim to do. The mods that really matter are pretty much legal for ASP. However, the F/G bumpers and 5 lug hubs are what take you out of Street Prepared.

SM2 is a fun class, and locally, you can usually have a good time. Nationally, it's a whole 'nuther game. Think 500+ hp RX-7's... Yeah...

If you want to be competitive, then DOT-R tires, as much as you can shoehorn under the fenders, on as wide a wheel as you can fit, will be the ticket. That, and a real suspension.

Shocks springs and bars first.
Wheels and tires next.

If you just want to play, run what you've got for now in SM2, and have a blast. Once you decide to part with your future retirement savings, read the rules carefully and decide how you would like to build the car.

Building a fully competitive 914 in SM2 can be done, but it won't be cheap...

Neither will an XP, FP, DM or EM car for that matter...

-Josh2

In regards to the tires. If I have a set of 7" and 9" 16" wheels (which seem to be about as big as you can go w/ my flares) what are the hot DOT tires to run these days? I have been reading a lot about Dunlap Direzzias but through a cursory search I doesn't look like they make sizes big enough for those wheels. It seems like it might be difficult to find any tires say up to a 255 for these 9" rears.

In regards to the suspension. Am I leaving a lot on the table by going the 911 route on the front end, obviously this is a very cheap route for me to go. In regards to the rear. I plan on leaving the stock set up but getting some new shocks and springs w/ the 5 lug adapter. Any recommendations on what shocks and springs to use with this setup?

Thanks to everyone who has responded.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.