Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Want Mechanic Recommendation near Pasadena, CA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrmole
Hi all,

Today, after three years of occasional weekend work, I spun my 914's new AC motor for the first time (with the back on jack stands). In theory, I could drive the car as soon as I re-register it and renew the insurance. It is only a theory because I live on a very steep hill.

As part of the conversion, I beefed up the suspension, replaced the tie-rods, went to 911 brakes up front, replaced the master cylinder with a 911 version and added a front swaybar. Since, the last work I did like this was in 1984 on a '53 MG TD, I would like my work reviewed by a professional before I drive it - in fact, I am quite happy to pay for a flat bed truck to get the car there.

So, I am looking for a mechanic near Pasadena, CA that will not be afraid of working with a car that has been significantly modified from stock. I would like them to:
  • Check out brakes (including rebleeding them and adjusting the e-brake)
  • Align the front tires
  • Adjust the sway bar
  • Adjust the clutch
  • Adjust the shift linkage
  • Adjust the torsion bars

The last couple of items I could do, but I am impatient to drive the car after all these years.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

- Randy
tronporsche
I recommend Heeltoe914, He is honest and takes his work seriously. He did my conversion.
tod914
Tre in VanNuys was pretty good when I lived out there in 99.
Heeltoe914
How are you and welcome I am going to post this msg to you here so you can get feedback on me. The thing about conversation and custom work is that unless thay specialize in your type of car or the type of parts you have added or altered it can be as most often is more of a PITA than what is normally referred to as line work. (tune-ups, brake jobs, timing belts etc,). Conversations take a little more creativity than most will wont to bother with. TRE, OTTO’S, PRETECH are all great shops.
I happen to live near you and love working on the 914 as well as almost any sports car., but I am a high-end backyard mechanic lots of knowledge and have been around for years. I have helped many on this board and other board get and keep their cars running great or even getting them going after several years of sitting. Your project sounds like something that you and I can tackle with no problem. You are welcomed to stop by and talk to me so you have an idea of who I am. It would also be great if you bring some pixs, of your project.
As most around the So Cal area already know I am always open to talk cars so if you just wont to pick my little brain call/ Email me.
Mike D.
HEY, who's that good looking mechanic type in the blue jump suit? biggrin.gif
Heeltoe914
That’s my monkey cleaning. Nice monkey works for bananas.

HA HA I most really trust my friendship with you to make that comment. But then again there is no one I trust more with my cars or in my shop than you. Go to sleep monkey.
tronporsche
Yes, Mike D (Hey Mike, how's it going !! The car is just as good of shape as it was the day it left the shop, thank you for a job well done) and Heeltoe were exact with everything...The timing of the job, and no shortcuts. Probably the most amazing thing they did to my car was ......when I brought it home, my neighbors and others said " hey, man, that car sounds better than it did when it (the engine) was in the other car !!!) I also like the fact they eliminated un-neccassary pieces, and went beyond the job by notifying me of other problems they noticed with my car, and if I would like for them to fix them for me (for a fair price, of course). If these guys can do what they did to my car, I trust that they can do anything they say they can.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.