Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at 914 parked 6 years
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug73/2.0
Richard located a 914 that's only an hour away (amazing :-)
It been stored 6 years indoors. Other than checking the oil and obvious stuff, Is there anything I should do before seeing if the engine will turn over?
Do I need to drain out the old gas first just to see if it has not siezed? Love to see if it runs during the visit.

I have Patrick Paternie's book so I'm reasonably comfortable where to look for rust. If it is a keeper I'll trailer it home.
Thanks
Doug
Air_Cooled_Nut
I hope the gas was COMPLETELY drained before it was parked (highly doubt it, though) otherwise you get the unpleasant task of having to clean the entire fuel system sad.gif

Easiest way would be to put it in second or third gear and push the car. If it rolls then it's not seized.
RocknRollFrenzy
mine had been sitting for about 2 years.......added a little fresh oil and a new battery and it fired right up within a few seconds.....your results may vary.
otto
If it FI you need to flush the tank.Change the oil to a 30wt. Remove the Spark plugs, Fill cylinders with light oil and let it sit over night. When you are ready to turn motor over put the car in 5th gear and push car backwards to purge the oil out of the cylinders. Then hook up the battery and spin it over with the plugs still out. If it spins freely, put the plugs in and check for spark at the dizzy by opening the points. If you have spark and Fresh Gas in the flushed tank you are ready.Steve
Porsche Rescue
Another method: remove the spark plugs, use a wrench on the alternator pully while pressing down on the belt with your other hand or use a socket on the crank pully. If it turns over freely, squirt some oil in each cylinder (I use Marvel Mystery oil in a little squirt can and a short piece of tubing to get it in the spark plug hole). Then use starting fluid if you can't get gas to the FI/carbs and see if it will fire.

Edit: Steve posted while I was typing. I should have also suggested to turn it over with the starter while the plugs are out.
maf914
Drain the old fuel before trying to start the car on its own. The tank is probably full of rust sediment which will be drawn into the pump and sent to the FI or Carbs, before the pump chokes and dies from blockage. After draining the fuel take the tank out, not difficult, and have it flushed. This is a good time to replace the fuel lines in the front compartment.

My car was garaged for seven years. The above suggestions are based on my experiences! ohmy.gif

Mike

BTW, the seven year old fuel was distributed between a couple of old pickups and lawn mowers. They all seemed to run okay.
mike_the_man
Watch for fuel leaks, and have a fire extinguisher handy, just in case. Old fuel lines can crack. Or better yet, replace all the fuel lines as previously suggested.
tat2dphreak
not exactly 914 experience... but here's what I did/would do: pull the tank, clean it out good... when you put fuel in it again, also add a can of B12 Carb cleaner... inspect all of the lines or replace as already suggested...

just my .0190.. 2 cents aren't worth as much as they used to be smile.gif good luck!
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(otto @ Feb 3 2004, 02:08 PM)
If it FI you need to flush the tank.Change the oil to a 30wt. Remove the Spark plugs, Fill cylinders with light oil and let it sit over night. When you are ready to turn motor over put the car in 5th gear and push car backwards to purge the oil out of the cylinders. Then hook up the battery and spin it over with the plugs still out. If it spins freely, put the plugs in and check for spark at the dizzy by opening the points. If you have spark and Fresh Gas in the flushed tank you are ready.Steve

agree.gif

When I found my 2.0 engine that had been setting outside for 9 years. The only thing I did differently, was shoot a good amount of PB Blaster to the cylinders. I prefer this over oil. I replaced the rear main seal also because it was out of the car at the time,...hard as a brick it was.
Doug73/2.0
Thanks everyone...The advice is much appreciated. The basic theme seems do be don't go firing it up with the old gas sitting in it.

So it sounds like just making sure the engine is not siezed is the best I can do before plunking down $$ and bringing her home huh.gif . Once home I'll follow the sugestions.
Thanks smile.gif
Jeffs9146
The only thing I did differently, was shoot a good amount of PB Blaster to the cylinders.

If you use PB change the oil after it starts!

Jeff
Eric_Shea
What to do before turning engine over?

Look for rust! blink.gif
Mark Henry
My teen was in storage for over ten years, I did all of the above and the thing would not start. Checked all of the nomal stuff still no go.

Yanked the injectors, 3 were seized, stuck in 3 good used ones and varoom!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.