Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fabricating rear suspension console ties
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wes V
When the rear suspension consoles are removed and replaced, or just plain replaced, the ties between them get messed up.

Only one of the two ties are still available.

I did a fair amount of searching and couldn't find any real write-up showing what to do.

So,

Here is a link to show how I fabricated replacements;

My Webpage, fabricating suspension console ties

I thought you guys might find it interesting.

Wes Vann
roadster fan
Hey Wes,

Nice post. That is the first time I have seen someone address that area on our cars. Keep up the good work, we are all watching with anticipation.

Jim
FourBlades
What a weird coincidence. I just did mine last weekend. I was wondering if
these bits were aftermarket console stiffening or if they were factory.

I made mine using paper templates, then tacked them on and finished fitting
them using a hammer. I used 16 gauge for mine, hope that is good enough.

I had to replace my inner console because it was crumbling with rust.

Good post and pictures Wes, wish I had seen this before doing mine.

I need to drill the drain holes.

Click to view attachment

I know my welds are ugly but I try not to grind too much to avoid annoying
my neighbors...

John
SirAndy
QUOTE(Wes V @ Sep 2 2008, 10:41 AM) *

fabricating rear suspension console ties

Nice writeup! smilie_pokal.gif

Hey Wes,
can we use this as a tech-article?
idea.gif Andy
Wes V
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Sep 5 2008, 10:16 AM) *

I used 16 gauge for mine, hope that is good enough.

John;

I couldn't say if that's thick enough or not. Maybe others could state what they have done and if they have had any problems.

I used 12 gauge due to that being the thickness used by the factory. (12 is a lot harder to form!!)

SirAndy;

I have no problem with you using anything from my web site! If you want it re-written in another format, I'm willing to do that. (I've gotten a lot of information from you!!)

I tend to just write up stuff on my own site due to it being easier to edit and I don't have to listen to comments from others.

Some stuff (like this), that doesn't seem to be already covered, I just post up a link.

Wes Vann
PeeGreen 914
Nice write up. I think I should see how mine are. I really don't know sad.gif
db9146
Nice write up. Thanks for taking the time.

So let me ask --- after you drill the drain holes, is there anything that should be sprayed up inside that area to kill any rust that's there or prevent any new from forming after all the heat?
Wes V
QUOTE(db9146 @ Sep 5 2008, 12:09 PM) *

So let me ask --- after you drill the drain holes, is there anything that should be sprayed up inside that area to kill any rust that's there or prevent any new from forming after all the heat?

A good question!

When I had the consoles off, I sprayed the inside with 3m "weld-through". All of the pieces I added had the back side sprayed with weld-through and also the consoles where they would be covered by the plates.

When I drill the drain holes, I'll most likely just srpay a bunch of Rustoleum in the hole.

Wes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.