Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VALVE COVER GASKETS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche914va2
I replaced the gaskets on my Valve covers. I have two different gasket materials. One is a hard fiber, the other cork. Has anyone determined if the hard fiber is better than the cork? I also use permatex gasket sealer. From your experience, just how much sealer is needed on the top of the gasket which will join the engine. I always seem to get that little leak on the corners of the valve cover. flag.gif
SLITS
My preference is cork ............

I stick the gasket to the valve cover with a SMALL thin bead of RTV.

If yours leaks, you have bent it.
URY914
Cork for sure. I use just a little sealer to hold it in place on the v-cover so it doen't move around when being installed.
Cap'n Krusty
Cork. I use a thin coat of "Gasgacinch" on both the cover and the gasket, let'em air dry, and slap'em together. NEVER any sealant between the gasket and the head. No RTV, either. It promotes leaks, and rust, too, for that matter .................

The Cap'n
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 2 2008, 01:17 PM) *

Cork. I use a thin coat of "Gasgacinch" on both the cover and the gasket, let'em air dry, and slap'em together. NEVER any sealant between the gasket and the head. No RTV, either. It promotes leaks, and rust, too, for that matter .................

The Cap'n

agree.gif I do the same thing, works like a charm.
Al Meredith
904SVO on this board has bought some valve cover gaskets that are FAA approved. Used on TY4 experemental aircraft.
Porsche914va2
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Sep 2 2008, 06:59 PM) *

904SVO on this board has bought some valve cover gaskets that are FAA approved. Used on TY4 experemental aircraft.

Well, I need flaps, and retractable gear to get airborne, but nice to know the gaskets hold up to FAA standards! But I just got an old 4 banger 914...not a Corsair! ar15.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 2 2008, 01:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 2 2008, 01:17 PM) *

The Cap'n

agree.gif I do the same thing, works like a charm.

agree.gif

In addition I put a thin layer of Swepco moly grease on the head side of gasket. It keep the gasket from sticking to the head, making the next change easier (no scraping old gasket off the head). If I need to pop a valve cover off to check a valve/rocker/return tube/etc... they don't usually leak when put back on. Not an excuse to reuse old hard gaskets but if I am chasing a problem or noise I can replace the gasket with a new one after I find then issue.

I never though of the rust issue with RTV but I don't use RTV for much anyway.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.