7 worst ways to mod your car.

biggrin.gif
zymurgist
av-943.gif

truck nutz

no, I don't have truck nutz, but I did dish on them in another thread

av-943.gif
ws91420
Worst kind of exhaust to put on a rotary engine. That alone made it sound even worse.
blitZ
The most hideous thing I have seen lately are these stick on holes for your car. Looks like something you get from ACME.

sww914
OK, I'm guilty. I've cut springs, I've collapsed a section of them with a torch, I've even removed the overload springs from the back of a pickup, turned them upside down on top of the stack and bolted it all back together to flatten the leaf springs.
I also removed the muffler from my WRX entirely. It has a piece of straight pipe with a tip sticking out the back. 3 cats quiet it down enough, it sounds cool. I've never ever added a piece of plastic chrome to any car, no neon, none of that.
When I was young I couldn't afford a lowering kit for anything. Hell, I could barely afford gas.
They left out spinners!
That came and went quickly didn't it?
ninefourteener
The worst "upgrade" I've ever seen are the fake, glue-on, Brembo brake caliper covers..... absolutely terrible.

I can't access eBay from work, so I can't post a link, but just do a search for "Brembo cover"..... they'll show up.
scottb
curb feelers!!!!

i remember these from the early 80's.... some knuckleheads figured "more is better" and would have about 6 per wheel opening..... a friggin' riot!
dw914er
I have a "fart can" on my RSX now. But it wasn't cheap. APEXI n1 catback, retails at 600. Sounds good. Other than that, never touched anything close those mods. Maybe factory aspec wing though?
dw914er
QUOTE(sww914 @ Sep 3 2008, 10:44 AM) *

OK, I'm guilty. I've cut springs, I've collapsed a section of them with a torch, I've even removed the overload springs from the back of a pickup, turned them upside down on top of the stack and bolted it all back together to flatten the leaf springs.
I also removed the muffler from my WRX entirely. It has a piece of straight pipe with a tip sticking out the back. 3 cats quiet it down enough, it sounds cool. I've never ever added a piece of plastic chrome to any car, no neon, none of that.
When I was young I couldn't afford a lowering kit for anything. Hell, I could barely afford gas.
They left out spinners!
That came and went quickly didn't it?

I see spinner hub caps alot. I'd say thats even worse than real spinners.

zymurgist
QUOTE(blitZ @ Sep 3 2008, 01:28 PM) *

The most hideous thing I have seen lately are these stick on holes for your car. Looks like something you get from ACME.

agree.gif

Do they sell extra large stick-on holes? You could put one on the side of a building and park your car inside. biggrin.gif
Zundfolge
QUOTE(scottb @ Sep 3 2008, 11:00 AM) *

curb feelers!!!!

i remember these from the early 80's.... some knuckleheads figured "more is better" and would have about 6 per wheel opening..... a friggin' riot!

I love the guys with all the curb feelers AND the booming stereo ... so just how exactly are you supposed to hear the curb feelers hit the curb with all that noise?

blink.gif

QUOTE(blitZ @ Sep 3 2008, 10:28 AM) *

I hate the fake bullet holes ... of course anyone emulating "thug culture" annoys me.

I just want to put real bullet holes in their car when I see them (and pull your damn pants up punk!).
Wes V
I expected to get a couple points, but batted zero.

This in spite of having had; A Honda with engine swap, a BRE style 71 Datsun 510, a 69 Camaro, and a 64 Chevelle (2 door) wagon and a couple british sports cars.

I think the reason is that whenever I build a car, I assume I'm going to sell it at some latter date.

Wes
ruddyboys
I laugh at the guys with the fake baseball or even worse the undersized football stuck on the glass.
Sleepin
IPB Image

Hahahaha! I never knew they had those! I wonder if they help you stop faster! av-943.gif
tronporsche
I have the street glow, but I don't consider myself guilty of the bad mod situation !! I go to car shows where these guys have street glow on $100,000 dollar cars, and choppers, old school and new, and they take away top awards, so WHO THE HECK IS THIS GUY on spike t.v. to say what a bad mod is , and his biggest mod complaint should be puting the "fear factor" guy as the ring announcer for "Ultimate fighting". av-943.gif ........Can he please explain THAT Mod ???........I'm not sure if I would consider those $25,000 Spreewell spinner rims ( I still don't think they should cost that much, but when you get an NBA players name on them....) a bad mod either. I suspect if more people could afford them, they would have them too. Now, with that being said, the immitation spinners, and hub caps, well, that's a different story !!!! Nothin' worse than seeing a car at a stop sign with only one rim spinnin' av-943.gif And one more thing, I am not a big fan of the Fred Flinstone wing either, but this guy on spike t.v. didn't tell us the power that car is puting out , so instead of clowning the guy for it , maybe it is a actual necessity, and his car is one of the fastest on the street...TRON!!!
MoveQik
"Sometimes, however, this isn’t a good thing. Sometimes, it makes your car sound like a swarm of drugged bees being shot out of the ass of an elephant.

The bottom line here is, if you buy a cheap exhaust system, your car is going to sound like ass."

av-943.gif av-943.gif
orange914
guilty as charged piratenanner.gif

in 1977 @ age 17 i bought my first car, a 67 mustang fastback. proceeded to "learn" on it. lets just say much inexperiance was applied

step ahead 12 or so years... picked up a hot rod magizine while waiting at an air conditioning shop. almost feel over backwards when i opened it to an article called "cars you should NEVER buy". MY car was pictured as one of the two poster childs. barf.gif biggrin.gif

i like to think i've evolved since then, but...
jd74914
QUOTE(scottb @ Sep 3 2008, 01:00 PM) *

curb feelers!!!!

A friend of mine has those on his 66 DeVille. They fit the mid-70s feel that he is going for perfectly. laugh.gif
g911

Each generation has theirs. In my day it was Air Shocks to kick the backend way up in the air, big fat tires, glass pacs for mufflers, hell i cut the roof off a 65 vista crusier station wagon, cut the roof off a mid year short wheel base ford van and welded on the vista crusier roof. Shag carpet on the inside, etc. etc. After driving the wheels off it for 15 years I bought a new one and drove it 15 years bone cold stock. Age has a way of curing in-experience. drunk.gif
ArtechnikA
One of the very first car book I bought was Paul Van Valkenburg's "Race Car Engineering and Dynamics" so I was able to avoid those screwups.

Money well spent.
orange914
QUOTE(g911 @ Sep 3 2008, 05:21 PM) *

hell i cut the roof off a 65 vista crusier station wagon, cut the roof off a mid year short wheel base ford van and welded on the vista crusier roof.

PICTURES, PICTURES
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(g911 @ Sep 3 2008, 05:21 PM) *

Each generation has theirs. In my day it was Air Shocks to kick the backend way up in the air, big fat tires, glass pacs for mufflers, hell i cut the roof off a 65 vista crusier station wagon, cut the roof off a mid year short wheel base ford van and welded on the vista crusier roof. Shag carpet on the inside, etc. etc. After driving the wheels off it for 15 years I bought a new one and drove it 15 years bone cold stock. Age has a way of curing in-experience. drunk.gif

Ah hem! Ah hem!!!
This is how it is done right. It still wins shows. The Van on the left!
PBritain
im more interested in the milner car next to it.

im guilty of cutting springs, but i realigned it, and a lot of cars have the tie rods at a downward angle from the factory, so thus, lowering it REDUCES bump steer if done in moderation. whenever someone gives me shit, i try to explain this to them and they always say, "WHAT ABOUT THE ALIGNMENT?!?!" hey doofus i just explained it to you......... sigh....
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(PBritain @ Sep 4 2008, 01:18 AM) *

im more interested in the milner car next to it.

im guilty of cutting springs, but i realigned it, and a lot of cars have the tie rods at a downward angle from the factory, so thus, lowering it REDUCES bump steer if done in moderation. whenever someone gives me shit, i try to explain this to them and they always say, "WHAT ABOUT THE ALIGNMENT?!?!" hey doofus i just explained it to you......... sigh....

Better shot

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.