Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gonna sell my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
And after so many fun adventures: The Little Blue Beater is gonna have to go to a new home.

Frankly, I don't have the time or resources to focus on this project anymore.

Although, it does work great as a reliable daily driver. Original 1.8, SSIs, 22mm front sway, stock rear with adjustable droplinks, turbo tie rods, new steering rack, fresh poly rear bushings...

AND

rebuilt, 0-mile 2056. 9.3:1 compression. I also have an MSDS header, new in box (unopened!). Pair of rear trailing arms, waiting for a cleaning and new bearings. Comes with a pair of 5-lug hubs that have been drilled and studded by T H O M A S.

Painted front and rear bumper. Plenty of extra bits and goodies.

I hate to see a car that I took TTOC with so many times go, but I really want to get another Porsche that won't require quite nearly as much work... That I won't have to focus on paint and body to make the looks comparable to the fun factor. I'm contemplating another 944 or maybe a 928... I hear those have 4 seats (for the friends). Expect the car in the classifieds soon. The extra parts going with the car should be worth plenty as well.

If you have any suggestions, ideas or thoughts I'm open to all of them.

Thanks!
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 3 2008, 02:24 PM) *

I'm contemplating another 944 or maybe a 928... I hear those have 4 seats (for the friends).

av-943.gif

Only if your friends are under the age of 5.
tronporsche
I certainly hope you give it a lot of thought. It seems that everyone that has had their hands on a 914 wishes that they never got rid of it, or ends up wanting another one. Is it at all possible to store it and save the money (if you don'[t have it ) and still buy whatever else you may want ?
r_towle
A 944 and a 928 are both going to require quite a bit of $$$ maintenance to keep having fun.
Most were put away wet and alot of the regular maintenance was not done to a level to be buying a service free car.

I would suggest looking at a boxter or a 911 that has lots of paperwork.

Rich
914werke
I have a suggestion: sell me the header biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
You may find yourself in the same boat with the 944 or 928 for reasons Rich mentioned. Also, consider that the parts for a 928 tend to be freakishly over priced. To meet your needs, minus the 4 seats, a boxter would be the best bet. For 4 seats, get a cayenne......or a hon-duh
Rand
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 3 2008, 03:24 PM) *

Frankly, I don't have the time or resources to focus on this project anymore.

Although, it does work great as a reliable daily driver. Original 1.8, SSIs, 22mm front sway, stock rear with adjustable droplinks, turbo tie rods, new steering rack, fresh poly rear bushings...

AND

rebuilt, 0-mile 2056. 9.3:1 compression. I also have an MSDS header, new in box (unopened!). Pair of rear trailing arms, waiting for a cleaning and new bearings. Comes with a pair of 5-lug hubs that have been drilled and studded by T H O M A S.

I hate to see a car that I took TTOC with so many times go, but I really want to get another Porsche that won't require quite nearly as much work... That I won't have to focus on paint and body to make the looks comparable to the fun factor.

Reading that list, it sounds to me like you already put the big time and resources into it and you're over the hump. It's reliable, has a fresh motor, lots of upgrades.

Selling it and dealing with finding and buying a good replacement car which will come with some unknowns sounds more painful than getting a paint job and bolting up some headers to me.

Here's my real two cents worth: It depends on which car you really want. Personally I would way rather have a trick 914 than a 944 or 928. But if you don't love the 914, go for what turns your crank.
carr914
Everytime I think I'm going in a different direction, I spend money then come back to a different 914. My last adventure was a 911 Carrera. It sat in a bodyshop until I got tired of the POS who owned the shop. There is nothing like a 914.

I hope you reconsider or stop back when you catch the fever again.

T.C.
Katmanken
He's not gonna admit it to us,

But I heard from a good source who heard it from a friend that he is really lusting after a 4 door Buick..... driving-girl.gif

Ken
JRust
If you are looking for reliability you need to buy a much newer car. Even then it's a crapshoot for something out of the ordinary. If you sell your 914 I give you six months before you catch the fever & come back. You can pick up a good 944 fairly cheap as you mentioned above might be on your list of cars. I would lean towards it over the 928 for sure. As mentioned above the prices on 928 parts can be rediculous. Best of luck whatever you do but know this. YOU WILL BE BACK! Once you've had a 914 you just can't get it out of your system. I had a 3 year hiatus (not sure how to spell that dam word) dry.gif . I saw a couple sixes going down the freeway after WCR a few years back. I had 3 914's again within a month. I'm actually back down to 1 which for me is pretty amazing. Although I am going to check one out this weekend idea.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 3 2008, 04:54 PM) *

You may find yourself in the same boat with the 944 or 928 for reasons Rich mentioned. Also, consider that the parts for a 928 tend to be freakishly over priced. To meet your needs, minus the 4 seats, a boxter would be the best bet. For 4 seats, get a cayenne......or a hon-duh

agree.gif

For bar none bargain boxsters are it. There is a gorgeous 02 boxster S on craigslist here for 15K! 97-98 cars are around 10K frequently with low miles.

I have thought many times that a boxster with a 380 hp 3.6 (that new x something or other 3.6 they are using in the 997's) swapped in whould be freakin sweat.

10-15k sounds like a lot but it does not take long to get to 10 with a 914. It would lack all of the character of an early car and I suspect would lack all of the raw feedback that all of the early porsches have...

I also agree with an another post that it would make sense to hold on to the 914 if you can. They make for good investments at this point. The boxster will continue to depreciate and the 914's will continue to go up in value so they could cancel each other out beerchug.gif

Brando
Hot damn if only i could afford $15k+!

I never said I would be giving up the addiction for good biggrin.gif I just want to find something newer, possibly more reliable and less required time for restoration (translation: Less wrenching, more driving!). I've wrenched away many hours (previous job) on plenty of front-engined water-coolers. My favorites of the two being the 968 and 928.

I would very much like to have both a 944/928/968 AND a 914... but the 914 just is not something I can spend time to restore. When I do decide to go back to teeners I think I will start with a much much better example to begin modifications...

Waiting on current tags then I'll post it up on the classifieds smile.gif
drem914
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 4 2008, 01:43 AM) *

Waiting on current tags then I'll post it up on the classifieds smile.gif

Do you have any photos in the mean time that we could look at before you post in the classifieds? Have you posted the car in the members photos area perhaps?
Brando
I currently don't have many photos available. I will have to take some once I get back from my anniversary trip this weekend. Imagine... (very) faded metallic blue, 75 with boat-anchor bumpers, green door and spots of surface rust.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.