Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sound from the rear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
UPdate:

Pulled the drivers side axle, the outer CV cage has a couple of cracks. Gues they forgot to replace this side when the trailing arms were rebuilt. I thought the sound from a craked casge would be louder and constant. Anyway, should be done in a couple of hours. Turned out to have supressed a lot of the sound, but I still hear it when braking a low speed and driving slow on uneven pavement. Almost replicated the noice by giving a sudden push from rear of sail panel. Gonna need a second pair of early to track it down..... sad.gif

Originally:
I have sound that comes from behind the driver seat, usually at low speeds, esp during stop.start over irregular surface. It's random. The CV is new, as well as the trailing arm bearings.Never hear it when the car is up to speed.

It sounds like a stress-relieving creek, maybe like something tapping the rear firewall.

I finally duplicated the sound in the garage with the car parked. If I push up on the driver side HE and push back down on the rear fender, it makes the sound.

I'm thinking motor mount. but they are less than two years old. Anyone had this happen---mine can't be that rare.
orange914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 4 2008, 04:08 PM) *

I have sound that comes from behind the driver seat, usually at low speeds, esp during stop.start over irregular surface. It's random. The CV is new, as well as the trailing arm bearings.Never hear it when the car is up to speed.

It sounds like a stress-relieving creek, maybe like something tapping the rear firewall.

I finally duplicated the sound in the garage with the car parked. If I push up on the driver side HE and push back down on the rear fender, it makes the sound.

I'm thinking motor mount. but they are less than two years old. Anyone had this happen---mine can't be that rare.

whatn about a weak/rotted long for flex?

whats the door gap like?
jim_hoyland
Door gap is fine. Going to try pinpointing the sound tomorrow by having someone ride in the truck.

The sound started after I replaced the trailing arms and bushings, CV's, and hub during my 5-lug conversion. At first, I thought the sound came from a metal support that attaches the top-rear rocker panel to the chassis. The weld had come undone, so I riveted the brace back. No change
r_towle
What did you replace the rear trailing arms bushing with?

Rich
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 4 2008, 07:44 PM) *

What did you replace the rear trailing arms bushing with?

Rich

The PMB delrin ones. Grease zircs were added as well.
r_towle
Could be they are creaking...I went through two sets until I finally went to the needle bearings.
Both sets I had were grooved for grease, and both had zirk fittings.
Both sets creaked.
Push up and down on the rear end while parked...see if it creaks.

If its the motor mount, the motor will jump up on one side when its revved up...lean in and blip the throttle and watch...it will jump up quite a bit more than it should...
Rich
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 4 2008, 08:29 PM) *

Could be they are creaking...I went through two sets until I finally went to the needle bearings.
Both sets I had were grooved for grease, and both had zirk fittings.
Both sets creaked.
Push up and down on the rear end while parked...see if it creaks.

If its the motor mount, the motor will jump up on one side when its revved up...lean in and blip the throttle and watch...it will jump up quite a bit more than it should...
Rich

Pushing up and down when parked would not replicate the noise. Will see if motor moves tomorrow and report back.

The closest I got to replicating the noise was to get under the car and push up on the HE ( it's a '75), then reach up and pull down on the bumper.

Lastly, does a broken motor mount result in the creaking noise at low speed ?

Thanks, Jim
r_towle
it certainly could.
Look at the rear mounts also...might be one of those.
If you have never replaced them, its time...

Rich
914pwr
Jim,

I don't have a solution, but I have a strange creak too from behind the driver's seat area. Mine only happens on slow right turns (difficult to always duplicate the noise though). I'll try to play with the heat exh too. Let me know what you find.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(914pwr @ Sep 4 2008, 09:11 PM) *

Jim,

I don't have a solution, but I have a strange creak too from behind the driver's seat area. Mine only happens on slow right turns (difficult to always duplicate the noise though). I'll try to play with the heat exh too. Let me know what you find.

Tim,

When the noise only occurs during a turn, it may me aCV. Take a drive to a big empty parking lot and drive in a right handed circle. If you are getting a clack, clack, it could be a worn part in the CV.

Have you kept the CV well greased, are either of the boots torn ? If they are, you may have no lubrication.

My noise is heard going in a straight line, so I think that are somewhat different.

See you in Ventura ? for GAF

Jim

HeloMech
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 4 2008, 07:31 PM) *
Going to try pinpointing the sound tomorrow by having someone ride in the trunk.

Get Mark (Euro911). He should be able to stand up in there so he can both see AND hear what's going on in there. poke.gif mark
jim_hoyland
Update: took mechanic for a ride. He sat in the truck while we cruised the back streets. He could feel the vibration from the sound coming up the shock and want to see if it's a CV. So right now, we are switching axles/cvs and I'll test drive to see if the sound moves to the passenger side.

The shocks are Koni reds and were installed around 1987. I noticed that if I pull up on the driver side fender the car will rise about an inch?? Does this mean anything.

Going back to test the axle switch.....will update
jim_hoyland
Replaced the CVs on drivers side, but some noise is still there, albeit less. Found that if I give a sudden push on the back of the sail panel, i can recreate the sound. Very hard to tell where it comes from while driving. I'm still glad we caught the cracked CV cage.
Elliot Cannon
Try driving in right hand circles with you left hand over your right ear. Then drive in left hand circles with your right hand over your left ear. Then see if you determine where the noise is. (If you really try this, don't admit it to anyone... ever.)
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 5 2008, 05:14 PM) *

Try driving in right hand circles with you left hand over your right ear. Then drive in left hand circles with your right hand over your left ear. Then see if you determine where the noise is. (If you really try this, don't admit it to anyone... ever.)

One of the odd things about this noise, is I get it driving in a straight line. I had done the left and right circle thing and it didn't cause the noise. I did notice the rubber edging around the motor was put back correctly, I can see the ground from the top of the motor??
ahdoman
What I'm really impressed with Jim is that your car is quiet and solid enough that you only hear a single creak! My '02 Infinity QX4 makes more noises than your 30 year old 914!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 4 2008, 04:08 PM) *

UPdate:

Pulled the drivers side axle, the outer CV cage has a couple of cracks. Gues they forgot to replace this side when the trailing arms were rebuilt. I thought the sound from a craked casge would be louder and constant. Anyway, should be done in a couple of hours. Turned out to have supressed a lot of the sound, but I still hear it when braking a low speed and driving slow on uneven pavement. Almost replicated the noice by giving a sudden push from rear of sail panel. Gonna need a second pair of early to track it down..... sad.gif

Why would you expect a CV joint to be rebuilt/serviced/replaced when the "trailing arms were rebuilt"? The driveshaft isn't exactly part of the trailing arm ...........

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.