Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amazing what ppl have lying around
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
veltror
nice new rear wing

Now why cann I not find some nice chrome bumpers... mad.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(veltror @ Sep 4 2008, 08:52 PM) *

US and UK are two countries divided by a common language...

on this side of the pond, we'd call that a 'fender'.
'rear wing' is found on legitimate race cars but mostly on wanna-be street-racer Asian cars...

Just trying to clear up the terminology difference 'cause a bunch of people might be interested in seeing a NIB quarter panel, but we are subjected to way too many wanna-be street racers with "rear wings" ...
r_towle
QUOTE(veltror @ Sep 4 2008, 08:52 PM) *

nice new rear wing

Now why cann I not find some nice chrome bumpers... mad.gif

Nice find!!!

For the bumpers, find a pair of cheap painted bumpers.
Remove the bumper rubbers and send them out to be chromed.
They can weld up the holes and make them good as new.

Rich
Eric_Shea

I believe he typed it on "that" side of the pond, hence making the pronunciation correct.

Our servers are in Tierra del Fuego managed by an "off-kilter" German in Russia (he says he's in Oakland, CA but we all know different) so we're being a bit presumptuous that this is indeed an "American" site on any given side of any given pond... aren't we? I mean... let's get real, once they buy all the 914's, they can call them what they wish; no? biggrin.gif

welcome.png Veltror
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 5 2008, 04:40 PM) *

I believe he typed it on "that" side of the pond, hence making the pronunciation correct.
...we're being a bit presumptuous that this is indeed an "American" site

I didn't say his terminology was incorrect; his location was pretty clear from a variety of clues...

I don't think it's presumptious at all - he would call it a wing, we would call it a fender. I believe that's what I said...

And it doesn't matter at all, except when giving a thread a title by which one hopes to communicate a thread's content.

(And if you don't want to disclose what's in the thread, why are you posting?)

There are plenty of thread titles that give no clue as to the content of the thread. Mostly I don't read those...
Eric_Shea
we would call it a fender

we = presumptious. Now if you said "I" would call it a fender... I'd cut ya some slack. lol3.gif

except when giving a thread a title by which one hopes to communicate a thread's content.

"One" being you. "You" are hoping thread titles communicate the content, he may not give a damn. Man... superdoublepresumptious. You're going on presumptious probation. biggrin.gif

In fact; the curiosity element is "much" more compelling in titles and causes more views... it worked, it caught you! w00t.gif
veltror
Bloody Hell !!, WTF.gif

If a title of a thread does not explain enough about what it is then you don't read it , hmm that is your prerogative, but you read this one. Not sure I follow the logic there.

Anyway from where I am typing it is a wing, or to be more precise since it is on German ebay the term Kotflugel is more accurate. poke.gif

However, I do not wish to get into what is the correct word to use and what is not. I could be nasty and say "It's the Queens English and you need to catch up" or "Local variations modify language beyond all recognition" both may be correct. I lived and worked in the US for a number of years and trust me it is difficult to modify language to match the locality everytime. Going into parts stores and asking for spanners and being looked at oddly was an education in itself. However asking for a bitter lemon in a TGI Fridays and being given a "bit of lemon", was hard to take.

Anyway I brought my 914 back to the Uk with me and I am now rebuilding it so it will have rebuilt discs, gearbox, new windscreen, decreased bonnet and a properly aligned boot.

No point getting started on aluminium, colours etc... smile.gif

SirAndy
"Kotflügel" is the correct German word.

Interestingly enough, if you separate it into the two German words used, you get:

Kot = excrement/dung/feces
Flügel = wing/sail/flank

So, you're looking at a genuine, factory Porsche "Shitwing" !!!
biggrin.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
Bloody Hell !!, WTF.gif

Welcome to Rich... he's all soft and sugary inside. Stick around, you get... use to him. biggrin.gif

However asking for a bitter lemon in a TGI Fridays and being given a "bit of lemon", was hard to take.

That'll teach ya for going to a TGI Fridays! biggrin.gif

new windscreen

What's that? On THIS side of the pond we call it a windshield! av-943.gif

welcome.png
veltror
I notice you sell rotors, if I had a helicopter that would be good however i will be needing some brake discs.... do you sell those?

smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Nope. Just rotors. Kaman is my biggest vendor. This war thing? Times are good! wink.gif

We can send brake discs to your side of the pond any old day.

How about some pictures of your project?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

(someone had to do it)
veltror
Another one of those hidden gems British rustoration.

I have obtained some flares from Mittlemotor and are going to go five stud so I will probably buy the rear rebuilt arms . Shipping to the Uk will be expensive though...

Roman

BTW does anybody know a George Hildinger, we worked on my car when I was in the US, he was in Wisconsin and I think he moved to Florida?

R. driving.gif
Zundfolge
Egad! 1500 Euros?

Can't you buy a complete tub for that?
brant
Hey I have that same fender in my spares... brand new with the factory sticker and primer still on it...

I'll take 3k
SirAndy
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Sep 5 2008, 03:02 PM) *

Egad! 1500 Euros?
Can't you buy a complete tub for that?

Not in Europe, you can't ... rolleyes.gif
Rick_Eberle
We call it a Mud Guard...
rhodyguy
grilled toMAHtos and black pudding for breakfast. yummie.
Gint
av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.