Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SeaFoam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
So I got the assdragger registered finally. Had to do a little address trickery but, all's well that ends well.

The problem is, the 2.5 sat for a year with the same gas (I know) headbang.gif

Now the idle curcuit is for stromberg.gif. Snap, crackle, pop... 5 and sometimes 6 cylinders. Scream it up past the idle circuit and everything is fine.

So today, I grabbed a $10 f'n dollar bottle of Techron and dumped it in there and prayed. By the time I got home a couple miles away it seemed like it actually wanted to idle up around 900. Success (maybe... we'll see what tomorrow brings).

Anyhooo... while I was shilling out my hard earned Hamilton the kid says "If that don't work go to AutoZone and try SeaFoam". The first I had heard of this stuff was last week when my friends BMW was giving him fits. All the guys on the Beemer board recommended it to him.

Me, being leary of any "Miracle in a Can", come hither to the wisdom of the list.

Might this be the thing or should I just get a can of carb cleaner and plan on 1/2 hour in front of Mr. and Mrs. Weber this weekend?
roadster fan
I've used it with good results (curing rough running due to suspected fuel injection problem) in my GMC and I ran a can in the first couple of tanks in my '71 914 after I got it running. By the looks of what came out of the fuel filters I have removed from the car, it has cleaned up the tank.

I drained and cleaned the tank before running the car, but I left the tank filter sock out since I didnt have the tank professionally cleaned. I figured I would replace the fuel filter every other tank full, open it up and see what I was capturing. Seemed to do the job, now I need to find a new tank filter and put it back in.

I heard about the stuff on some other site where several posters swore by it.

Jim

736conver
SeaFoam is da bomb. Expensive but worth it.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(736conver @ Sep 5 2008, 01:18 AM) *

SeaFoam is da bomb. Expensive but worth it.

I use seafoam in everything I own from my lawnmower and weedeater to my boat and motorhome. It is great stuff. Walmart has now started carrying it cheaper than Autozone. You can pour a little in your oil and it will clean it up. They even make some for automatic transmissions. I highly recommend the stuff.

SHOE
SGB
Wow. I remember a buncha horror stoiries....
SGB
Techron does seem to clean up injectors. I was told that one should change the oil after using it though, as it gets in there and messes with the viscosity.

IDK about seafoam. I think it is stronger than techron. If you were carefull about quantity...
Rusty
My father swears by seafoam... he uses it in both boats and his tractor.
BMartin914
Pull and clean your idle jets. They're probably clogged. I've had 'em clog up after sitting for 2 weeks.
carr914
I don't know diddley about sea foam, but cleaning your idle jets is easy and only takes a few minutes.

T.C.
Joe Bob
When I resurrected a 930 a couple of years ago it worked well. It had two hosed fuel pumps that were all varnished up. Had sat for 10 years.

Was able to save one fuel pump and cleared up ALL the CIS injectors. Was worth it.....
jasons
Seafoam isn't miracle in a can but as I understand, it will wick moisture out of your fuel or oil. And it supposedly helps free carbon. I used it once in my old Scout with success, but I can put just about anything down her throat and she don't care. blink.gif
brant
Sea Foam is not bad
I use it in my tow vehicle

but the really good fuel injection cleaner is made by BG

its called 44k, and its a bit expensive (30?)
I use it in my SVT and modern fuel injected cars
its really good and noticeable improvements come immediately

I play it safe and do oil changes soon after burning a tank of cleaner

brant
blitZ
The outboard crowd has been using SeaFoam for years to decarbon their motors. My FLAPS has it by the gallon, a bit cheaper than by the can. I pour it into a Stabil bottle which allows you to easily decant it by the ounce.
Jake Raby
I believe in it as well..
I' top of the mixture with a bit of Marvel mystery oil spiked with just a tad of Dexron/ Mercon auto tranny fluid :-)
r_towle
Just my experience on a VW.
Used sea foam, dribbled it into the intake as the directions state.
It did clean the carbon from the valves.
It deposits this carbon into the CAT, and clogged the cat so I had to buy a new one.

I will never use it again.
I stick with Techtron.
Soak all the injectors overnight in Techtron.
Pour two bottles in about 1/4 tank of gas.
Run it close to dry.
Fill tank with premium.
Change oil after techtron
all better, cleans all the injectors and fuel lines...I swear by it.

Rich
URY914
I asked about Seafoam several months ago on another 914 site. Maybe this link will work....

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...&hl=seafoam

It's been discussed a lot on Pelican too
monkeyboy
I used it years ago in my Scout as well. Really cleaned up the way it ran.

I would never use it in anything with a catalytic converter for the above reason. Then again, I don't own anything that has a cat in it anyway smile.gif

Seafoam and some Marvel Mystery oil brought my Scout back to life after sitting for 5 years.
ConeDodger
Dad and Uncles swore by the stuff but Techron is pretty good too... Not sure of any way better than pulling and cleaning the idle circuits though... biggrin.gif
Gint
You've already got the techron in the tank. Clean your idle jets this weekend. Check/replace your fuel filter after the tank with techron is used up.

I use BG44K myself.
Eric_Shea
OK... bought a can. Expensive it is not (compared to the Techtron). Work it did not; so far... but I've only driven about 4 miles and I didn't pour it into the throats. I feel this is an idle jet issue so I was hoping that it would work it's way through as a fuel additive. At $80 a tank I sure hope it doesn't take too long. biggrin.gif

I think I'll pull the jets tomorrow AM and get out some plain guitar strings and some carb cleaner. Weeeeeeeeee. Old cars are fun! wink.gif

Thanks for all your input.

Maybe this link will work....

(of course it does... "we" don't restrict who you link to.) whistle[1].gif
URY914
Oh, be nice.
Rusty
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 5 2008, 02:34 PM) *

Oh, be nice.

He was, Paul. smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Got it last night.

Just decided to pull the jets (one at a time obviously) with the car running. Sprayed carb cleaner in each one and down the idle circuit tube. Then I took out each mixture needle (religiously counting each 1/2 revolution of the screwdriver) and cleaned those and sprayed again.

About 1/2 way through the jet's something happened. Bang... the idle shot up and she began behaving once again. Still a few lean pops at idle but with the huge cams and the huge valves, I'm not sure how smooth this beast can be.

Thanks all. I think a combination of miracle juice and elbow grease tackled the problem.
TimT
Do you guys know what's in Seafoam?

A few years ago I pulled up the MSDS on Seafoam and found the following.

IPA, Naptha, Pale Oil

IPA= isopropyl alcohol

Seafoam= Snake Oil, nothing really special about it,

look the transmission treatment is the same as the engine treatment dry.gif

Save your Seafoam money and buy Techron

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.