Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 guys-Anyone have a desert Hybrid radiator setup?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michaelt55
Jut curious as thats what mine looks like. Also my radiator started leaking today so I am going to puill it and get it recored. Any benefit from going to a 4 core over a 3??

Michael
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Sep 5 2008, 12:43 PM) *

Jut curious as thats what mine looks like. Also my radiator started leaking today so I am going to puill it and get it recored. Any benefit from going to a 4 core over a 3??

Michael

It's harder to draw air through a 4 core depending on your setup it's something to consider. The new radiators with the wider tubes seem to work better.
Bruce
messix
building a shroud to get the fans to pull air thru the entire core area would do 100% more than going to a 4 core.
tronporsche
Michael, just curious, has this been a problem with the overheating from the start, or is it just starting to happen ?
michaelt55
QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 5 2008, 03:24 PM) *

Michael, just curious, has this been a problem with the overheating from the start, or is it just starting to happen ?

its been a slow issue...so today, (my only day off) I went over the system with great detail and found a leak under pressure. So that is most likely the culprit...anyway..its pulled and going off to be rebuilt. Its leaking from the top inlet , crack most likely under the pipe. Its been in service for the last 15 years so...its due a rebuilld....
michaelt55
QUOTE(messix @ Sep 5 2008, 02:56 PM) *

building a shroud to get the fans to pull air thru the entire core area would do 100% more than going to a 4 core.

actually if you look, its got a mini shroud around the sides of the radiator.... so I am not sure how much a complete shroud will do. Anyone have the templates for the hybrid shroud?
messix
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Sep 5 2008, 01:32 PM) *

actually if you look, its got a mini shroud around the sides of the radiator.... so I am not sure how much a complete shroud will do. Anyone have the templates for the hybrid shroud?

that ensures that the air won't bypass the radiator, http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku this is what i'm suggesting.
michaelt55
QUOTE(messix @ Sep 5 2008, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Sep 5 2008, 01:32 PM) *

that ensures that the air won't bypass the radiator, http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku this is what i'm suggesting.

thanks...will try after I get the radiators redone..
andys
Troy,

That's a great find! Never occurred to me to check Summit. I built my own (for 10" fans), but @ $99 I would have rather bought that one!!

Andys
tronporsche
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Sep 5 2008, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 5 2008, 03:24 PM) *

its been a slow issue...so today, (my only day off) I went over the system with great detail and found a leak under pressure. So that is most likely the culprit...anyway..its pulled and going off to be rebuilt. Its leaking from the top inlet , crack most likely under the pipe. Its been in service for the last 15 years so...its due a rebuilld....
Hey, if I can get 15 years out of my radiator with no problems, I will be more than happy to get it finally rebuilt laugh.gif
michaelt55
well...guess what its a 4 core radiator. Old radiator pro here says he can make it a 5 core and it will cool better? Shroud is a must do....
michaelt55
so no one is using the desert hybrid setup???? OK...

Michael
wbergtho
well...guess what its a 4 core radiator. Old radiator pro here says he can make it a 5 core and it will cool better? Shroud is a must do....

The more cores the better is not necessarily going to help you. I started out with a 3 core 25" X 12" dual pass Fluidyne and when I replaced it with a 2 core dual pass... it actually runs cooler. Air passes through your radiator more easily the fewer cores you run.
JRust
Hey Michael,
Still waiting on my Renegade Hybrids radiator. Ordered 2 weeks ago but they were not in stock. I'll actually be in Vegas tuesday so I am going to go by their shop next week. I'm not sure if Desert hybrids radiator setup is cheaper. I did look around alot before I finally sprung for renegades kit. I really think a dual core dual pass radiator is the way to go. I found a bunch of different radiators. Some with shrouds & fans. Northern has a pretty good setup in a 16x31" & makes a dual fan with shroud unit to go with it. You can get it around the $500 range for the complete setup. I finally went with renegades because I know it will work & comes with absolutely everything. I could have done it cheaper but I just wasn't satisfied that what I would get cheaper was going to work properly. So I went with what I knew would work. I'll let you know when I get it & post some pics.

Good luck whichever way you go biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
I am no v-8 guy , however the square area of your exit holes is pretty small compared to others I have seen. could it be your just not flowing enough air out the fender well holes/screens ? You may try removing the screens as a test ?
Dr. Roger
i noted the same thing. someone came up with a 2:1 ratio inlet/outlet size ratio. given your picture, it looks a little restrictive on the outlet end. huge rad. though. =)

michaelt55
prior to the radiator leak, this radiator had not had any over heating issues for the past 10+ yrs in California... so I am leaving it the 4 core it already is...and just mounting a shroud.
If I have issues in this heat in Texas, then I will try other things but this radiator seemed to work great the previous summer I had it here.

Michael
Crazyhippy
15yrs... there was no Desert Hybrids as far as i know at least.

I've had several converted cars (2 v-8's and on my 2nd Subbie) all w/ Renegade's stuff, and had no problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.