Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Did You Learn Today?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Todd Enlund
Today, I learned that a 4 1/2" knotted wire wheel in an angle grinder is not nearly as effective on human flesh as I would have imagined. Takes the skin right off, but only tenderizes the meat. Gives it a nice purple color.
PeeGreen 914
chair.gif sad.gif Not supposed to do that Todd.

In the best Montey Python Accent: "Owwww. That really hurt."
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Sep 5 2008, 01:54 PM) *

It was either my hand or the wiring harness.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Sep 5 2008, 01:51 PM) *

Today, I learned that a 4 1/2" knotted wire wheel in an angle grinder is not nearly as effective on human flesh as I would have imagined. Takes the skin right off, but only tenderizes the meat. Gives it a nice purple color.

Ouch!

That hurts just thinking about it!

I had one get away from me. Flew out of my hands and across the room. Broke the angle grinder in half. Cheap HF tools.
SGB
you simply MUST take better care of your tools. smile.gif
sww914
I learned to not work on a Ford. Ever. Even if it is you landlord's and he'll take off 1/4th of your month's shop rent for a couple of hours of work.
They're messy and stupid and designed by lazy Americans.
KELTY360
I learned you should never claim your car doesn't leak, because....well, you know. FERG.gif

blowup.gif
black73
Use these
RiqueMar
I learned for the short while I thought my body was that of a six, that it is not.

stromberg.gif Poop. stromberg.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(black73 @ Sep 5 2008, 03:38 PM) *

av-943.gif
Yeah, I have some of those, but I was using these. slap.gif
r_towle
I learned that there is about 10 lbs of seam seal above the door handle recess in the fender...

Rich
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Sep 5 2008, 02:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Sep 5 2008, 01:54 PM) *

It was either my hand or the wiring harness.

Ah, see? There ya go! You shouldn't be using a wire wheel on your wiring harness.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Sep 5 2008, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(black73 @ Sep 5 2008, 03:38 PM) *

av-943.gif
Yeah, I have some of those, but I was using these. slap.gif

Are we still talking about 914s? jerkit.gif
DBCooper
Yup. He was talking about grinding on the rear end, thus the latex.
Cevan
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Sep 5 2008, 05:51 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Sorry, I feel your pain. Today, I learned that you should have Tangerine Racing (Chris and Ed, thanks again!) do your 4-wheel alignment. Wish I had it done when I bought the car.
turtleturtle
I learned a loose distribuator and O ring can cause a massive oil leak (not on my 914, my 67 Beetle). I also learned how to fix that problem. biggrin.gif
slow914
I learned that though my foglights never worked before my stereo was installed whoever installed it set it up that the fog lights worked, till they both they and the stereo died three days after this discovery. However now my stereo works as long as i don't try my foglights confused24.gif

Im doing all my own wiring from now on hahah
Todd Enlund
I am somewhat less amused by my stupidity than I was before... as the flesh is healing, it is starting to feel like I may have damaged the tendons. sad.gif
wbergtho
am somewhat less amused by my stupidity than I was before... as the flesh is healing, it is starting to feel like I may have damaged the tendons.

Let's hope your tendons are still fine. I learned that you do not grind a flat piece of extruded aluminum (in an attempt to make a trick pair of door thresholds) the wrong way on a massive disc grinder. The metal I was working got between the face of the grinding wheel and the table bed...in an instant it threw the metal out of my left hand at the speed of light. I was doing this on my lunch break @ Northwest Airlines and should not have been in the machine shop legally. The cut I recieved on my left thumb was 1/2" deep and 2 1/2" long. It of course severed my flexor tendon and I had to have it surgically re-attached by a hand surgeon. I was relegated to a plastic splint for 12 weeks and therapy every day for that time period. What a fricking disaster to have your left arm rendered totally useless for 3 months!

I really hope you didn't do this to yourself...having been through it myself.
iamchappy
At least you are a master in Antiseptics and Elixirs.
May, many of the frosty ones come your way during the healing process.

Oh ya......
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

LvSteveH
I don't know how it happened, but while welding today I picked up my mig gun and got poked by the wire. It went through the glove and hurt a little, but no big deal. A few minutes later I stopped welding to investigate the wet feeling in the glove.

The wire went in one side of my index finger and out the other wacko.gif
AvalonFal
I learned to wear gloves when using Marine Clean.

Cleaned up a few parts with Marine Clean not wearing gloves. About 2 hours later, the tips of all my fingers were like sandpaper!! Cleared up in a day or 2, but now I wonder if I still have my old fingerprints??!!

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.