Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hi to everyone and a question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kkid
Hi everyone,

I am a new owner of the 914 and have been learning a lot from this site.

My '74 2.0 died 3 times on the road since my owner ship(last December) but this community site makes me possible to keep the car running. driving-girl.gif

I never feel like giving up. This is amazing! cheer.gif

By the way, as for the 914 tranny, I remember some one says synthetic fluid is not good. How about synthetic blend fluid?

Is synthetic blend OK as long as it is GL5 rated? It is time for my 914 to change the speedo angle drive so I will change the fluid at the same time.

Mahalo in advance! smile.gif

SirAndy
welcome.png

I have used "Swepco 201" with very good results for a few years now.

Where in Oakland are you?
idea.gif Andy
SGB
Mobil 1 gear lube is too slippery. The synchros don't spool up as well as with Swepco. Changing the speedo gear doesn't open the tranny case though, so you will need to pull the plugs on the side. Glad the site helps. The internet is like 9 lives for old cars. smile.gif
kkid
Thanks for the greeting, Andy!

As everyone else I would like to use Swepco but it is too costly for me so I ran to local parts shop and got 3 qt of Valvoline made synthetic blend.

Do you think there is no problems using this????

By the way , I'm in Redwood Heights of Oakland. bye1.gif

kkid
Thanks for the input, Scott. pray.gif

It took me more than a week to get the drain and fill plugs loosened. I still see slight fluid leak from the angle drive it self after having O-ring and seal ring changed.

And I have no idea when was the last time the fluid was changed.

That is why I am saying it is great time to change the angle drive and the fluid at the same time.

Do you know if the Valvoline synthetic blend tranny fluid works as well?

By the way, is this what they call "the dead whale smell"?

lotus_65
welcome.png

i personally never had trouble with swepco.

also, i don't think per ounce and given the life of the oil, that it's too expensive.
r_towle
QUOTE(kkid @ Sep 5 2008, 07:15 PM) *

Thanks for the input, Scott. pray.gif

It took me more than a week to get the drain and fill plugs loosened. I still see slight fluid leak from the angle drive it self after having O-ring and seal ring changed.

And I have no idea when was the last time the fluid was changed.

That is why I am saying it is great time to change the angle drive and the fluid at the same time.

Do you know if the Valvoline synthetic blend tranny fluid works as well?

By the way, is this what they call "the dead whale smell"?

Never use synthetic gear oil in a 914 transmission.
Synthetic gear oil wears out the brake bands very quickly.
Use regular GL5 gear oil, no blends, no additives.
THAT is what the transmission is designed to use.
If you use synthetic you will not have a functioning transmission in a short amount of time.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.