Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: W8 engine swap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bongo monkey
I was at the Philadelphia Auto Show, and while they did not have the Carerra GT on display, at the VW corner there was a cutaway of a W8 on display. I noticed one thing about it: it was the perfect length for a 914 engine bay. I didn't measure it, but it looks like it would just drop right in with almost no modification (except for radiators, etc.)

So... with 270 bhp out of the box, which is probably easily boosted, has anyone tried a W8, or Phaeton W12 swap? You could keep it a VW/Porsche, and still kick the 911's asses all over the track. A Bentley W12 or Bugatti W16 would probably be overkill, though...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(bongo monkey @ Feb 3 2004, 03:15 PM)
So... with 270 bhp out of the box, which is probably easily boosted, has anyone tried a W8, or Phaeton W12 swap?

ya gotta love this group, sees a $100,000 car as little more than an engine donor :-) ...

first, ya gotta find a running Phaeton. if you do, let me know -- really -- we're looking for one for a couple of hours...

so then you've gotta wait for someone to crash a @100,000 luxomo-VW, and sell the engine real cheap.
all this for ~300 HP ? okayfine, -you- go price 48 valves come top-end rebuild time :-) ...

none of these cars runs without a whole flock of ECU's. turbo'ing a NA car isn;'t as easy as it used to be. if you want to play that game, wait for an Audi RS-6 to drop into your lap...
bongo monkey
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Feb 3 2004, 06:24 PM)
So... with 270 bhp out of the box, which is probably easily boosted, has anyone tried a W8, or Phaeton W12 swap?

ya gotta love this group, sees a $100,000 car as little more than an engine donor :-) ...

first, ya gotta find a running Phaeton. if you do, let me know -- really -- we're looking for one for a couple of hours...

so then you've gotta wait for someone to crash a @100,000 luxomo-VW, and sell the engine real cheap.
all this for ~300 HP ? okayfine, -you- go price 48 valves come top-end rebuild time :-) ...

none of these cars runs without a whole flock of ECU's. turbo'ing a NA car isn;'t as easy as it used to be. if you want to play that game, wait for an Audi RS-6 to drop into your lap...

Plan B: How many bolts hold the W12 to the Phaeton, and what size are they? idea.gif
si2t3m
If i was to find a VW engine to slap into a 914, i'd try to locate an engine similar to the one Porsche puts in the V6 PepperWagon (I think it's the ones they slap into the Golf R32 with a porsche camshaft & modified intake). This thing make 240 (in VW trim) stock?

Plan would be to get a plastic engine cover from Porsche, slap it over it. This way you can DE, AX with the PCA guys (This is a Porsche with a Porsche engine in it!) cool.gif

Marc-André
Malmz
The 270hp W8 is in the Passat. I have searched for them a few times with dreams of a swap. Somebody had a complete motor and 4matic trans on Ebay, but it was over 7k if I recall. There are more out there now, so prices should come down to a reasonable level.

I agree that this is the perfect 914 swap motor...

sm
fiid
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Feb 3 2004, 03:24 PM)

I disagree - it's easier now to get an egine running with a full turbo setup than it ever has been before.

Bust out your soldering iron - build yourself a wideband o2 sensor driver, a megasquirt or equivalent, and get yourself an edis unit. You will KNOW weather it's lean or rich, at what RPMs, and the thing will even tune itself. No guessing which carb needles to use. It will automatically compensate when you put that bigger turbo or intercooler on it, or if you decide to try different air filters. This is a wonderful age.
ejm
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Feb 3 2004, 03:24 PM)
first, ya gotta find a running Phaeton.  if you do, let me know -- really -- we're looking for one for a couple of hours...

I saw running Phaetons in this country back in April....spent half of last week taking one apart...they're around

no need to crash one ...a couple of pre-production non DOT/EPA certified cars will be going to the crusher soon....don't know where that will be tho.. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.