Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another Crane xr700 help thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT
This is going on a 74 1.8L L-jet with stock disty.

I've been messing with this thing for the last hour and tried the 4 window rotor with the metal clips underneath, but when it's on it touches the bracket the sensor mounts to and covers the hole/screw so I can't tighten it down anyway.

So which window/rotor did you guys use, and where did you try to have the sensor sitting in the disty? I'll try and get some pics for how I have it setup right now.

Me needs beer. poke.gif
LowGT
Vac canister would be poking out the left where the disty bracket is.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
blitZ
I think the shutter you need is the one to the right in your bottom picture. It seems I had to trim mine a bit to get a good fit. It also takes some patience to get the pick up set right. Once it's set your good. Haven't touched mine in a few years.

Hope this helps.
LowGT
Thanks!

I also found a pic searching the club site and the other rotor in the pic is the one I needed to use. It's labeled "220". I was able to press it over the rotor with a socket just fine.

I adjusted the pickup as close as I could, its on the leading edge of the window when the rotor is pointing at cyl#1. Plugged everything in and the car started. Just need to set the timing again.

So since the car runs is that a good indicator the pickup is set correctly? Or are there other symptoms I'll notice after driving to let me know if it needs more adjustment?

The car started up and ran smooth, I think this is going to be a great thing to have on the car!
blitZ
QUOTE(LowGT @ Sep 6 2008, 09:10 PM) *

So since the car runs is that a good indicator the pickup is set correctly? Or are there other symptoms I'll notice after driving to let me know if it needs more adjustment?

I would say that is a good sign. No additional adjusting needed, it's fairly simple.
LowGT
Ok, I timed the engine but now I've noticed the flashes aren't consistent from the timing light.

Would this be a phasing problem? The manual mentioned cutting a big hole in a spare cap to check the phasing of the disty rotor with the contacts on the cap.
blitZ
I'm not sure that's important. If it's running fine, I'd leave it alone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.