Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru 2.5 liter eye candy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WRX914
Take a peek. drooley.gif

This is a brand new 2.5 shortblock that is dressed with the old parts from my 2.0. The engine is now complete and should be installed by next weekend. I will do my best to take a little video of the maiden voyage.

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/jski...mview=slideshow
WRX914
Oh yea, I forgot to add...

The shortblock is brand new shipped from Subaru to my door for $1,870.00 and I swapped the old 2.0 shortblock for the labor to build the new motor piratenanner.gif

That is not bad at all! If you buy a beat up 2.0 liter and do this swap, it might make great sense... idea.gif

KELTY360
wub.gif Beautiful! You've inspired me to step away from the computer and go work on my subie conversion - into a Westy.
jasons
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Sep 7 2008, 09:18 AM) *

That is not bad at all! If you buy a beat up 2.0 liter and do this swap, it might make great sense... idea.gif

So I understand correctly...... Basically your old motor was a USDM WRX EJ20 Turbo and you can swap the whole shootin' match over to that factory shortblock and have a basically new EJ25 turbo?
charliew
My son and I hotrod his 05 STI. A 2.5 will have more torque but it isn't the same as a factory 2.5 turbo. 2.5 wrx and 2.5 sti have differences that translate to different torque and hp ratings. 2.5 Sti has acvs and older 2.0 wrxs don't. Sti has bigger turbo, bigger injectors, bigger IC, bigger cams, and quite a bit more better ecu control also higher redline ecu. 2.5 STI has forged rods but the pistons are a little brittle for heavy tuning advances. A 2.5 is a great start for a 2.0 rebuild but it will run out of breath at a lower rpm than the real sti due to the wrx cams and no active cam control.

I like the 2.0 or 2.2 closed deck blocks hopped up because they have less low end torque and when boosted over 25 psi will make lots of power. A 2.5 STI mildly retuned will push the limits of the 914 tranny. With the 2.5 a good path would be to use the suby tranny converted to front wheel drive and with the OBX LSD. With only rear wheel drive and 9 inch tires that might hold up and be cost effective.

Your motor really looks nice and new.
Ferg
Looking good Keith aktion035.gif
jasons
I realize just because its 2.5, its not STI spec. But still, thats pretty cool you can just dump your short block and bolt your ancillary pieces on a factory 2.5 and get the extra displacement.

Even though it may run out of breath early, I would imagine you are gaining some torque?
charliew
Yes but torque is what breaks trannys not hp up high.
TravisNeff
BJ had done this (2.5 with 2.0 externals) and was over 400HP at the crank.
WRX914
Yes.

You can just buy the 2.5 STI shortblock and put all of the 2.0 crap on it and build it as a Hybrid Subaru 2.5 with 2.0 ancillary's. I am expecting a 75 hp gain and about 100ft/tq gain. And I will of course dyno it and let you all know the real numbers for my engine. It should be installed tonight!!!!

carreraguy
Hi Keith - subscribed for sure!
WRX914
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Sep 11 2008, 07:26 PM) *

Hi Keith - subscribed for sure!

Hey Tom!

How have you been? Hope all is well...

I have seen your ride a few times on the net, looking damn good!!!

Take care.

Keith
WRX914
It is installed and running!

Just need to take my radiator in to have them check it for leaks and break in the motor. Then I can turn up the boost and haul booty.

Sleepin
:jealoussmiley:
turboman808
That was your car I was reading about in Excellence last night. Made it seem really tempting to go buy a roller and throw a wrx motor in it.
WRX914
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Sep 17 2008, 11:49 AM) *

That was your car I was reading about in Excellence last night. Made it seem really tempting to go buy a roller and throw a wrx motor in it.

Yup, that is the one...

I would recommend to anyone to do this swap. It is a real kick in the pants to knock the crap out of new 996 and 997's.

BTW... does my avatar look familiar? It is very similar to the spread pic in the article.

driving.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Sep 17 2008, 11:08 AM) *

Yup, that is the one...

I would recommend to anyone to do this swap. It is a real kick in the pants to knock the crap out of new 996 and 997's.

BTW... does my avatar look familiar? It is very similar to the spread pic in the article.

driving.gif

Yeah the picture looked familiar. I like the idea of having 911 power for honda civic prices.

I spent 10 grand building a honda civic motor with 350whp. Could have tuned it to over 500 but 350 seemed like enough. To get that kinda power with a 911 motor would just be way to expensive.
914pwer
Damn I like your 914 drooley.gif pray.gif .I have a picture of it on my garage wall . do you have more pictures of it .Its what get`s me through long nights working on my 914 in my garage
ernestj911@gmail.com
WRX914,
Do you have any updates after the new 2.5 block has been installed? How is it running? Do you have any pics? Is it any faster? Oh, and were is that video that you promised!!!!
driving.gif
davesclassicvws
I would be interested to know how much has this conversion cost. When you compare this conversion to a 6 conversion it appears to be way more cost effective but I would like to know how much have you invested.
charliew
Once you get started on getting parts it doesn't really end.
2500.00 for a decent roller
2500.00 wrx motor and harness and ecu if you have a lot of time, aftermarket ecu's and harness go for 500.00 to 1500.00
500.00 for body and arm stiffeners
500.00 for 911 5 bolt stuff
500.00 for axle adapters for vw bus axles for the suby tranny
400.00-500.00 for a good suby tranny
350.00 OBX LSD for the tranny
300.00 for a Bremar fwd conversion for the tranny
500.00 for a quad gauge and turbo tach
600.00 AA flares
250.00 916 front and rear fg bumpers
200.00 for fg rockers for the flares
150.00 for vw bus axles and cvs
1000.00 5x130 wide wheels
1000.00 for decent paint materials at a minimum, not including labor maybe 2500.00 for labor
400.00 good aluminium radiator from ebay
150.00 steering wheel (couldn't pass it up)
FREE LABOR
750.00 a guess for odds and ends, Tires? coolant lines,
I probably left something out, I promise these are not all the parts I have accumulated for this toy. These prices are rounded low.
Things not listed: radio system, stainless exhaust, pretty calipers, really smooth suspension bearings, water/meth injection, ANY RUST REPAIR, and the installation kit, I'll make my own.

On nasioc the hp potential is great, you can make more hp than you can use except on the track. Like a high hp motorcycle you can't see far enough down the road to try it out.

I don't know much about a 6 conversion but most of this stuff you would do on any conversion. I like the turbo suby sound.

Keith's car and a few others give everyone a example to shoot for. What a difference the net has made in advances in motor sports.
WRX914
QUOTE(davesclassicvws @ Oct 11 2008, 05:52 PM) *

I would be interested to know how much has this conversion cost. When you compare this conversion to a 6 conversion it appears to be way more cost effective but I would like to know how much have you invested.

I have enrolled myself in several 12 step programs due to this car.

I have over $55k invested. But this is not what you have to spend. There is a shitload of $$ tied up in wheels and paint... around $20k in just paint and wheels/tires.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Oct 13 2008, 12:03 PM) *

I have enrolled myself in several 12 step programs due to this car.

The first step is admitting it "I have a 914 problem"
biggrin.gif
Keith that thing looks sweeter than ever. My 914 is still going strong with a 1.7 TIV, and my Subaru 2.5 wagon is still going strong too. One day if the stars align they will joinf forces and combine to get me over 90 HP in that midship engine bay. Keep up the good work beerchug.gif
WRX914
NEWS FLASH UPDATE

This thing is BEASTY!!!

Odd thing is that from purely a drivablility standpoint, the 2.0 is damn hard to beat. You put it in and BAM! You instantly kick ass... Very easy fastish car to drive. Confidence in turns under hard braking and hard acceleration... SUPER easy to look like you are an high level driving school instructor.

2.5 - You better sharpen your pencil... can spin tires AT WILL up to say 30-40mph. Concentrate on smooth is fast cause if you slightly jab the throttle anywhere in the apex of a turn you WILL break traction BIG TIME. Almost did a 180 entering onto the highway merge lane.

The turbo while it is the same (TD04 stock 2.0 turbo) it spools instantly. The exhaust note is audibly throatier and it just plain kicks ass. If you don't know what you are doing behind the wheel (or if you even need to ask, "Am I good enough")? You should just stick with the 2.0. If you need to be challanged daily, get the 2.5 and hang the f!%k on!
Ferg
aktion035.gif Great News!
Zaney
Now is the time for a SUBY DOG BOX as your transmission! Then, you would seriously be unstoppable! beer3.gif driving.gif

Awesome news about the 2.5L!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.