Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rotisserie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I borrowed Brad's rotisserie for a paint job. HOLY CRAP!!!! I highly recommend everyone who's doing a restoration to build one. It makes working on a 914 so much easier. It's a whole new world.
swood
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
SirAndy
Mark Henry
I have one for the bugs, I could make it fit a teen easy, but my ride doesn't need it.
swood
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 3 2004, 08:58 PM)

Yeah, what he said!!!

laugh.gif laugh.gif
McMark
I was going to wait until tomorrow and make an animated gif of the car rotating, but since ya'll are so eager...
Eric Taylor
droooollll, That would be so sweet to work on your car.
Eric
Brad Roberts
That rotisserie will have seen 3 9146's in less than six months when Gints goes up in the next 30 days or so.

Lost of cars in progress 04 is going to ROCK.

B
william harris
icon14.gif Brad: From the picture the two ends of the rotisserie do not appear to be connected? Is this right? My concern is about the stability of the unit, especially if you are moving the car. I have seriously considered building a rotisserie because none of the body shops I have consulted with have or use one. You know, I want that factory look with correct painting inside, under, wheel wells, ect. all the typical lawyer anal retentive attention to details. So, how did you build this thing? I assume each end mounts to the holes for the front and rear bumpers? If this can be done for a cost effective price, I'm game.
eresener
B,
I too would also like to see either blueprints or somewhere I could purchase this BBQ system for the 914....would make alot of things much easier...

smile.gif sawzall-smiley.gif ...the Doctor is in...
JFJ914
AutoAtlanta has plans on their site.

Rotisserie Plans

No flames, I've heard them all!
r_towle
Guys,
A rottiserie is nothing more than two engine stands with brackets.

You really should tie the two stands together for moving etc...a simple piece of square tubing bolting the two stands together will work great.

William,
I am sure Chris could make up the bumper brackets for your car that would fit a standard engine stand..talk to him about sending your car back with them attached.

Engine stands all have the same size tube for mounting the bar to the stand. (Me thinks)
R

Rich
william harris
beerchug.gif Thanks Rich! Chris: well the same two questions: how much and how long?
McMark
The two ends are not connected right now, but can be. We've been spinning the car all day and there are absolutely no stability issues. The rotisserie has wheels on it and if you were going to roll it around you would need to tie the ends together for stability. If Brad doesn't mind, I'll take some measurements of his rotisserie and post them. Engine stands are too short out of the box, but give a pretty good starting point.
Britain Smith
I have been planning to build/use a rotisserie for my car and have collected a series of pictures illustrating different methods.

Rotisserie Pics

IPB Image
zehrschnell914
Very impressive!! clap56.gif
Mark Henry
Yep my BBQ is tied together and has 6" HD casters.
I have towed it severial times with a bug on it to my paint guy (about 1 1/2 miles) behind a tractor.

Damn farm boys, git outa de road!!!! lol2.gif
mikey
Mark,

k
Kewl!! mueba.gif That's my car on the rotisserie!

Just noticed something. There should be a 10' threaded rod that goes between the two stands. There are tabs near the center wheels to connect this rod to. It holds the stands together at the bottom. (I noticed that this was missing in the picture). It will be a lot more stable while moving it around if this rod is connected. Brad should have it somewhere.

Mike MDB2.gif
GWN7
Here's a picture of one......
McMark
QUOTE(mikey @ Feb 5 2004, 10:55 PM)
Mark,

k
Kewl!! mueba.gif That's my car on the rotisserie!

Just noticed something. There should be a 10' threaded rod that goes between the two stands. There are tabs near the center wheels to connect this rod to. It holds the stands together at the bottom. (I noticed that this was missing in the picture). It will be a lot more stable while moving it around if this rod is connected. Brad should have it somewhere.

Mike MDB2.gif

If you're worried about it falling off, then don't be. It's very secure as it is and has seen countless revolutions already. The connecting rod is only necessary when you'll be rolling the whole assembly around the shop, which we are not. If we need to roll it around we will definately put in the bar.

To reiterate, the rotisserie is secure while stationary without the connecting bar.
Your car got the first coat of metal etch, sealing primer yesterday to stop the rust that was beginning to form.
mikey
Mark,

Glad to hear the the car got etched and shot with primer to stop the rust.

I'm not too worried about the missing rod, since it looks like the car is on a smooth concrete slab. Moving it around on a smooth surface shouldn't be a problem.

I'm hoping to come up to Napa soon and take some digipics of the paint job in progress.

Mike
McMark
Call me at 707-738-5686 or Brandon at 707-255-3308 to set up a time.
914ghost
HEY!
That'd be kool to use while the car is together, you know so you don't gotta lay down and do push rod tube seals, and good for putting the car away for the winter....bolt it up and slide it into the corner beer.gif ...?
And you could take the top off and turn it over to get the spare change out, no more vacuuming! beerchug.gif
I need 'nother beer.
Bob O chairfall.gif
Elliot_Cannon
How the hell do you get the car on and off the rotisserie???
Cheers, Elliot
GWN7
You could flip it on it's side so that it dosen't take up as much room in the garage. laugh.gif

Pick it up...they don't weigh that much.
McMark
Yeah, when it's empty my friend and I could lift it like it was nothing. Just grab onto the fender on each side. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.