Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Hell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matt Meyer
I was hoping to get pictures and politely introduce myself but it looks like I'll have to dive right in.....

I drove the 914 for about 15 minutes, lights on. After sitting for a couple of minutes the car won't start. I was not even getting the "selenoid click". It finally starts after sitting for about 30 mins. The headlights were nice and bright even when it would not start. I drive it home, turn it off, won't turnover again. Hook up battery charger and it says fully charged (processor controlled). Assumed it was the starter. Searched this site.

Next morning wont turn over. I put it in gear rock it back and forth? Starts right up. But now the alternator light comes on, it did not the night before. Grab 10 dollar battery monitor from bon marche. Start car, alternator light is still on, and also no tachometer, no turn signals, but I have flashers, fuel gauge is intermittent; empty, 1/4, 1/2 (1/2 is correct I think). Oil light is off, but PO installed guage and oil light is never off (not connected). All of this was working OK the night before.

Through the cig. lighter plug in the car, battery monitor reads 13.4 volts pretty steady. With lights on there is a steady drop in voltage. Tightened battery connections (ground loose) and battery monitor reads 14.2 volts with no lights and 13.4 with lights on when not warmed up. Tach, alternator light, turnsignal, fuel guage and oil light are still a bust.

Is the starting problem fixed? Could the dash problem be related to the starting problem? More ground problems?
Andyrew
Its ground problems. Check all your grounds, and if needbe run an extra ground wire from the starter ground to the negative body ground by the battery. I have not had a starter related starter problem (but a battery related.. saving for the optima).

Welcome to the boards!!

Andrew
DNHunt
Matt

Andrew's right, check the grounds. Tranny strap, at the battery and the 2 headlights (I think). Also check the fuses. When I have had electrical problems it usually pops something. Also the contacts on the ends of the fuses can get gunked up especiall the 2 on the relay box in the engine compartment. Otherwise, you probably let out some of the magic smoke JP talks about.

Dave
Dave_Darling
Two separate problems. The no-start is one of the typical problems--dirty connections, tired starter, dying ignition switch, etc. Jim Thorusen wrote up an article on troubleshooting this sort of thing:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/m...tarter_diag.htm

The no tach/Alt light on/etc. is a blown fuse. I think #9, but could be #8.

Oh, and WRT the second part of your subject line--the 914 isn't in the handbasket--it is the handbasket!! smile.gif Even got a nice handle for you, and a lid on each end. Just like a picnic basket! happy11.gif

--DD
Joe Bob
Yup....sounds like multiple problems....the starter is a sticking solenoid. If stuck and a push start is out of the question....use a BFH to "tap" on the solenoid to free it up. It gets a little warm and the old lubricant in there has turned to glue.

Some people have had luck with R&R on the solenoid and using dielectric grease....they don't make NEW solenoids or starters anymore AFIK, all are rebuilt units....if you go for one of those get a genuine Bosch rebuild. DO NOT go to Kragen or Manny Moe and Julio....you gets whats ya pays for....

As to the other stuff....what Dave said.
Matt Meyer
Ahh the 914 is the handbasket but it is a german engineered handbasket.

Thanks guys. I will add starter selenoid my to do list.

I had checked the fuses before posting. Pulled everyone today and checked it, still no tach etc. Was going to post here for additional ideas but decided to try and correlate the 914 fuse cover (sitting in the console of the pick up) to the fuse panel. I bumped fuse 8 or 9 while pulling 9 or 10 and noticed the alternator light flashed off.

Pulled the fuse, looked good, reinserted it and now tach, etc is good. Must be a loose wire or something. Thanks again. I would have moved on to something besides the fuse panel if not for your advice.

Now it is driveable if it starts.

So the cover is up side down if you look at it on the panel and you are not laying on your back?

I keep monitoring the voltage with my POS battery monitor. It is actually a thermometer that displays voltage. Turning on the blower drops the voltage to 10V immedately. At least the journey will be long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.