Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many switches?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
dempwolf@pctribe.com
I'm still wondering if I really do have an original '72 914-6 Vin#9142430078, but even if true I'm afraid it's very, very far removed from what the car looked like 36 years ago. Most will notice the non-original tach, but what about the light and emergeny flasher switches are those the only ones found on original '72 /6 or as I suspect someone years ago made changes and removed whatever else was found to the left of the steering wheel. If there is a web-site that has images of original 914-6 Porsches interiors for '72 I'd love to know what it is. Thanks for your time. Karl
914Sixer
72 914-6 were for European delivery only. From what I have read, the interior was prety much stock 914-4 with a modified main wiring harness to accept the 6 engine and all the stuff that went with the engine.
dempwolf@pctribe.com
Yes the later 914-6 were imported as mine was, from Fance, more than a decade a go. And to shed some light on the third switch question I posed; on the dash to the left of the steering column, the hole is there, but it has been covered with the correct vinyl covering.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Karl,
Wow, another seldom seen '72/6!

Anyway, I don't see a fog light switch on that dash. Do you have fog lights?
The fog light switch should be on the left side of the dash.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
Karl,
After looking at the photos of the other France market 914, I see that the car has yellow fog light lenses but no fog light switch in the usual place. I'd be pretty certain that the factory wouldn't install a different dash structure for another market (France). They would just cover any pre-drilled, or cast holes with the dash vinyl. Perhaps if you have fog lights, are they wired to work only when the main light switch is in a specific position (parking lights only, or just low beams)?

Paul
dempwolf@pctribe.com
The fog lights are used as a light horn (licht hupe) the hole for that switch is under the vinyl as I mentioned in the earlier post. To find out what is original and what is not, I've been told just look at an original 72-4 and that is what my car should look like, with some obvious exceptions. karl

PS I will eventually have a car closer to what it was like when new, but since the motor is long gone, it will never be a totally original car. kd
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 9 2008, 12:18 PM) *

From what I have read, the interior was prety much stock 914-4 with a modified main wiring harness to accept the 6 engine and all the stuff that went with the engine.

agree.gif

The wiring (and dash switch options) should be the same as any other '72 /4 car. They simply used a special adapter harness to run the engine off the /4 relay board.

Btw. all dash subframes have the holes stamped, even if that particular switch was never installed. Think of it as a "spare" mounting hole ...

bye1.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Sep 9 2008, 09:53 PM) *

The fog lights are used as a light horn (licht hupe) the hole for that switch is under the vinyl as I mentioned in the earlier post. To find out what is original and what is not, I've been told just look at an original 72-4 and that is what my car should look like, with some obvious exceptions. karl

PS I will eventually have a car closer to what it was like when new, but since the motor is long gone, it will never be a totally original car. kd

Do I understand that, in the absence of the f/l switch which is ordinarily on the dash, to the left of the steering column, that you don't have a way to operate the fog lights?

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
Karl,
If you have not yet come across this, you will find this of interest.

(computer problem encountered, will try to fix)
dempwolf@pctribe.com
Paul I just tried the light switch, and on the first pull the driving lights/turn signals come on and the main lights pop up. Pull again and all the lights are on including the fog lights. High and low beam are now working only on the main pop-up lights by pulling the turn indicator switch. But when all the lights are turn off, and I pull on the turn signal switch the fog lights come on as a flash to say, get out of my way, or hello to other 914s or even sometimes to other Porsche owners, most of whom have no idea what the hell I'm driving. Karl
SirAndy
QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Sep 12 2008, 06:20 PM) *

Paul I just tried the light switch, and on the first pull the driving lights/turn signals come on and the main lights pop up. Pull again and all the lights are on including the fog lights. High and low beam are now working only on the main pop-up lights by pulling the turn indicator switch. But when all the lights are turn off, and I pull on the turn signal switch the fog lights come on as a flash to say, get out of my way, or hello to other 914s or even sometimes to other Porsche owners, most of whom have no idea what the hell I'm driving. Karl

Karl, that is not stock. There is a member here that sells a adapter harness to make the foglights do just what you describe ...

But again, that's not how they were wired from the factory.
bye1.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=78597&hl=

Karl,
Here is the link that I think you'll find interesting.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
Andy,
Is it not conceivable that this 914, originally destined for France, could have a variation of fog/driving light function different from USA spec? Take a look at the link that I posted regarding another '72/6 that was originally a French car. Lookit the dash picture.......no F/L switch, yet the front photo shows the (typically) yellow lenses that are normal on so many French automobiles. Perhaps the specs had a "flash to pass" requirement that was facilitated by just pulling on the turn signal stalk when the H/Ls were not in the raised position.

Paul
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 12 2008, 08:58 PM) *

Is it not conceivable that this 914, originally destined for France, could have a variation of fog/driving light function different from USA spec? Take a look at the link that I posted regarding another '72/6 that was originally a French car. Lookit the dash picture.......no F/L switch, yet the front photo shows the (typically) yellow lenses that are normal on so many French automobiles. Perhaps the specs had a "flash to pass" requirement that was facilitated by just pulling on the turn signal stalk when the H/Ls were not in the raised position.

The ROW wiring diagram for a '72 does not show anything of that sort. Doesn't mean it couldn't be ...
idea.gif Andy
dempwolf@pctribe.com
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 12 2008, 09:41 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=78597&hl=

Karl,
Here is the link that I think you'll find interesting.

Paul

Thanks for the link Paul, and yes I find it very intereting. Took me forever to try and find where I had seen this information and the link but found it again after searching for hours.
I have become painfully aware again that my car will never be as original as Mel's without the engine and transmission gone probably for ever, I do have the numbers the COA gave me and I do look, but the chances of me finding it are not as good as my chance of winning the lottory.
The interior of Mel's car explains the dash and the mission switch, my tail lights are identical to his. I hope Mel will not mind me copying his images and any others he plans on sending since I know of no other original '72 /6 to use as a reference.
Attached is the plate the car came with. Keep the pictures coming Mel, I will store them all greatfully and refer to them when I need to know what an original '72 /6 should look like. Karl

PS I have ordered one of the few remaining 914-6(VW)Porsche crests from AutoAtlanta, there are a few left at $175
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.