Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Return of the Porsche 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
Very interesting....

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_ve..._914/index.html

From Motor Trend

""With the recent announcement by Volkswagen chairman Martin Winterkorn that VW will unveil a sports car concept at the 2008 Los Angeles Auto Show in November, it appears that the German automaker has once again resurrected its plan to build an affordable midengine coupe and roadster.

But even bigger news could be coming from VW's new masters, er, partners at Porsche. Inside sources say that VW's majority shareholder is said to have shown strong interest in the same project -- opening the door for a possible revival of the 914.

The original 914 -- Motor Trend's Import Car of the Year in 1970 -- was sold in the U.S. from 1969 to 1976, and was a collaborative effort between Volkswagen and Porsche. The guiding force behind the 914 project at the time was none other than Dr. Ferdinand Piech, now the head man in Zuffenhausen and the driving force behind the takeover of VW.

According to reports, the Volkswagen model will borrow heavily from VW's vast parts bin in order to keep development costs low. The new VW coupe and roadster have been described as cars designed to be stylish and lightweight but, at the same time, offering sporty performance in combination with all important fuel economy.

Based on a midengine, rear-wheel-drive layout, two four-cylinder powerplants are said to be under consideration: a 170-horsepower version of the 1.4L twincharger TSI gasoline mill, and a new 125-hp, 1.6L TDI common-rail diesel engine, both mated to VW's new seven-speed DSG gearbox. The model could possibly be assembled in Germany by VW's longtime partner Karmann, also another key player in the original 914's production.

The new car is expected to be less than 2200 lbs and VW is reportedly inquiring with fellow VW Group member Audi about aluminum space frame construction. The collaboration could also mean that a much rumored Audi R4 version could also be potentially on the horizon.

The VW project is resurfacing for the fifth time in five years but insiders are expressing optimism that the car will finally make it into production this go round. Depending on the public's acceptance of the L.A. show concept, the new car could be in showrooms by as early as 2011.

As for the Porsche model, any 914 would almost certainly have one of the automaker's flat sixes on board, with the 2.7-liter base engine from the Boxster being the most likely candidate. Rumors have also been circulating recently about the possibility of Porsche returning to four cylinder power, with the 914 being an extremely logical candidate for an engine smaller than six cylinders. The original four cylinder 914 was more popular than the six.

Porsche has continued to expand from its 911 base with the Cayenne and the coming Panamera, and the addition of a model priced below the Boxster could be just what the Dr. (Piech) orders. ""
Root_Werks
I like the concept picture and would be happy to see a comeback of the 914. I don't think it'll happen, but fun to dream.
Ferg
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 10 2008, 02:57 PM) *

I like the concept picture and would be happy to see a comeback of the 914. I don't think it'll happen, but fun to dream.

agree.gif
messix
lotus killer idea.gif
monkeyboy
I will only buy it if the Porsche purists hate it. smile.gif
carr914
I agree with Root

T.C.
r_towle
Just as long as the Cayenne V8 motor will fit in it...go for it.

Rich
turboman808
I really like the concept picture. 300 hp and 2000 lbs and I am in. I will be first in line.
naro914
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Sep 10 2008, 07:36 PM) *

I will only buy it if the Porsche purists hate it. smile.gif

Then I guess you own a 996?
nycchef
i wonder if it will come in a rust color?
carreraguy
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Sep 10 2008, 06:23 PM) *

I really like the concept picture. 300 hp and 2000 lbs and I am in. I will be first in line.

Yeah! agree.gif

How about a flat four turbo tuned to over 300HP? Oh, nevermind, thats the "Anklebiter". biggrin.gif
Zimms
Just to add to the speculation....

Porsche considering return of four-cylinder engines

popcorn[1].gif
beech4rd
Given the current economic climate, the price of fuel and the strong possibilty of a reduced supply of fuel, this could be a great idea. A new Scirocco and a new 914. I recently drove a very new 997 and it is a really wonderful car but it's so far from my pay scale and the driving experience was almost too civilized for a sports car. I could really get behind a new 4 cylinder Porsche.
Chris
Sleepin
QUOTE(nycchef @ Sep 10 2008, 08:18 PM) *

i wonder if it will come in a rust color?

It may come with pre-rust options, just so we don't feel left out. You could get the surface rust option, the some body holes option or the about to snap in half rust option.

I love that concept drawing however!
beech4rd
The vent immediately behind the driver's door and in front of the rear wheel is cunningly designed to direct any water within several feet of the car to the top of the battery. And the rear suspension mount for the trailing arms is located below the battery. Just for old time's sake.
Chris
914werke
Looks like a Del Sol barf.gif
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentPorsche will kill off the vintage value of all of our REAL 914s if they go thru with this. Sounds like what happened in 1979, when they built the last of the 930 turbos (I own #742).
Then in 1980, Porsche decided to keep building the 930; and upped the ante again in 1986 by bringing it back to the U.S. market.
I'll buy a new 914 if it has this option...
Marty
wbergtho
The vent immediately behind the driver's door and in front of the rear wheel is cunningly designed to direct any water within several feet of the car to the top of the battery. And the rear suspension mount for the trailing arms is located below the battery. Just for old time's sake.
Chris

av-943.gif
melnyk
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Sep 10 2008, 11:54 PM) *

Chris

i just spit coffee everywhere
jgara962
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 10 2008, 10:53 PM) *

Click to view attachmentPorsche will kill off the vintage value of all of our REAL 914s if they go thru with this. Sounds like what happened in 1979, when they built the last of the 930 turbos (I own #742).
Then in 1980, Porsche decided to keep building the 930; and upped the ante again in 1986 by bringing it back to the U.S. market.
I'll buy a new 914 if it has this option...
Marty

I think that this will build interest in our cars and possibly have the opposite effect. The difference between the 914 and 930 is that Porsche isn't building it one or two years after discontinuing it. We're talking about bringing something back 35 years later. The new Mini, GT40, etc. haven't hurt the values of those originals.
rick 918-S
If the car resembled is the concept I would be in. Most of the time this is just an excersize though.. sad.gif My hope is they would use a boxer type engine like the original, keep the center low and give it real modern performance in place of modern creature comforts. Stripped down modern go-cart with as few add-ons as possible. And no side curtain air bags. sheeze<_<
turboman808
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 11 2008, 09:32 AM) *

If the car resembled the concept I would be in. Most of the time this is just an excersize though.. sad.gif My hope is they would use a boxer type engine like the original, keep the center low and give it real modern performance in place of modern creature comforts. Stripped down modern go-cart with as few add-ons as possible. And no side curtain air bags. sheeze<_<

Well I would think if they make this it will be to take on the elise. Probably won't have the power I would like but a turbo can solve that. I mean we all know how porsche doesn't want there lowly cars to be faster then the 911.

By the way anyone seen the cayman with the turbo in excellence? Buy a second hand 2007 cayman, the turbo is 13 grand installed. Now you are getting close to GT3 speed for half the price.
dw914er
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Sep 10 2008, 08:54 PM) *

Chris

av-943.gif

if it made good power, I'd be in. It probably would help our values, if and only if, the new 914 isn't slow. But if it was an affordable, but fast 914, then our vintage versions would be alright.
naro914
My concern is that in the end, it will look like a targa topped Cayman/Boxster and not something "unique". Unfortunately, Porsche nowadays seems more interested in profits and production savings than in styling and differentiating between models (except when it comes to performance).
Loser_Cruiser
just some more of the same i think haven't read it yet http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/11/report-...ng-914-revival/

they have some pictures of 914's at the end maybe some of them are here on the site. also what is the syntax for having an active hyperlink from a word?
carreraguy
This is the thread I was referring to in Midtowner's post about the Panamera. I wonder if it was actually shown at the LA Auto Show? If it was, where's the buzz?
r_towle
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Nov 25 2008, 07:50 PM) *

This is the thread I was referring to in Midtowner's post about the Panamera. I wonder if it was actually shown at the LA Auto Show? If it was, where's the buzz?

It was witheld at the LA show.
I think they wanted to focus on the Cayman and Boxster models for that show.

It is now rumored to be at the Detroit show instead...that is when????

Rich
kpfoten

Rich--

I think it's Jan 17-25th. Porsche didn't even come last year... sad.gif

I hope it's worth their while to come this year??? If so, I'll take some pics for you guys. Otherwise, I'll be stealing radio knobs off of Escalades...
carreraguy
QUOTE(kpfoten @ Nov 25 2008, 06:24 PM) *

Rich--

I think it's Jan 17-25th. Porsche didn't even come last year... sad.gif

I hope it's worth their while to come this year??? If so, I'll take some pics for you guys. Otherwise, I'll be stealing radio knobs off of Escalades...

So you're the guy! biggrin.gif
I've got dibs on the cigarette lighters!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.