Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 - V6 guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Phoenix-MN
I'm going to be fab'n-up the exhaust system for V6 next week and haven't decided on whether to run the exhaust pipes under or over the axles.

What's your experiance and what works best?

Thanks
Paul
JRust
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Sep 11 2008, 08:38 AM) *

I'm going to be fab'n-up the exhaust system for V6 next week and haven't decided on whether to run the exhaust pipes under or over the axles.

What's your experiance and what works best?

Thanks
Paul

Mine is run over the axles. All the conversions I'v seen were done that way. I will admit I've only seen a few v6 & v8 conversions though confused24.gif . I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in. Good luck either way
wbergtho
Mine are over the axles. I have seen a couple fabbed below but i like to keep them up and out of sight.
andys
I've routed mine above the axles.

Andys
BIGKAT_83
I've done both over and under. If your using full length headers under is about the only way.
I looked at your website and saw the headers you have on your engine. Think that I would modify them for the collector to angle back towards the rear some. It sure would make it easier to finish then.

Got to say that your car is one of the best conversion out there smilie_pokal.gif

Bob
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Sep 11 2008, 09:13 AM) *

I've done both over and under. If your using full length headers under is about the only way.
I looked at your website and saw the headers you have on your engine. Think that I would modify them for the collector to angle back towards the rear some. It sure would make it easier to finish then.

Got to say that your car is one of the best conversion out there smilie_pokal.gif

Bob

Thanks for the kind words.

The exhaust collector adapters do angle back at about 30Deg. so that part is covered.

Paul
Bruce Hinds
It all depends on your headers. I have a v8 and the full length headers dump just below the level of the CVs so the pipe fits nicely below the axle and nothing hangs lower than the forward engine mount. Shorty headers may simplify the fabrication process....
Bruce
old v8 guy
rick 918-S
Mine are under the axles. If you hug the transaxle there is no interference when you jack the car up and let the suspension hang.

Here's mine as I install it. Notice my exhaust cross over through the muffler. smile.gif
Phoenix-MN
Just an update on what I did. I fabbed the pipes up to go over the axles.. Now that I have these I'll take them to HearthThrob Exhaust and have the final ones mandrel bent out of stainless steel.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.