Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why can't I keep my windows clean?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zundfolge
I'm wondering if any of you guys have this problem as well, but if I park my car with the windows up and top on, within a day or so the inside of the glass is covered in a milky film.

Its almost like some material in the car is giving of gas or something.

Any idea what is causing the problem?
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Sep 11 2008, 04:11 PM) *

Its almost like some material in the car is giving of gas or something.

Yes, that stuff is volatilizing out/of of the plastics. Do you use Armor All on your dashboard? I've read that could be the source of the film. I've noticed it in my car too. Also, how is your PCV routed? If you are just venting to atmo in the engine bay, those fumes and vapors can get sucked back into the ventilation system and that could be the source of the film.

You could always take a sample down to your nearest chemistry lab and run it through a GC/MS or similar to figure out the exact composition of the film biggrin.gif
r_towle
Its probably oil.
Leave the window cracked opne a bit more.

Rich
rjames
Its probably oil.
Leave the window cracked opne a bit more.

Rich

agree.gif

I had the same issue before I backdated my exhaust and the heater tubes. Those tubes that supply heat to the cabin had a good layer of cooked oil and grime in them. After swapping my windows don't fog up with the oily stuff anymore. (Although I'm sure they will eventually again.)
Zundfolge
I have cleaned the car once recently with Armor All (the car had sat for quite a while) but I noticed this problem before then (although nowhere near as bad).

I don't have heat exchangers (Kerry Hunter exhaust) and don't run the heater, but its possible there is engine compartment air coming into the cabin via the old duct work ... I'll have to make sure its still blocked off. But the problem happens while the car isn't running.

I was wondering if this was a common problem (maybe the type of vinyl used gives off gas as it ages?).

So what can I use to strip any Armor All residue off the vinyl so I can eliminate that as a possibility?
tracks914
Most 914's don't have that problem, they're on jack stands with the windows down. tooth.gif
PanelBilly
I never have a film on my winshield....oh , I don't have any glas either...but I can see clearly

unless I'm spraying paint

or drinking

You can tell Friday is almost here for me
SGB
Weekend starts on Thursday, doesn't it? At least for drinkin purposes... beerchug.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(SGB @ Sep 11 2008, 06:39 PM) *

Weekend starts on Thursday, doesn't it? At least for drinkin purposes... beerchug.gif

It does if you are headed for the Dragon like we are!

SHOE
Pat Garvey
I have had the same problem for years, with every German car I've owned. I've never used Armorall on any of my interiors, yet the glass gathers a film. I've also experienced it on domestics.

Years ago, I posed this question to a fellow chemist (about my 914, at the time), because the car would sit in a sunny place awaiting concours judging while the freshly cleaned glass began to film. I was advised that the "plasticizers" used in manufacturing the vinyl pieces of the car emitted a slight vapor when heated above 90-100 degrees. It isn't easy to clean the stuff either.

I HAVE noticed that since my 914 was "standed" 2 years ago, in the garage, with the windows & door closed that nary any film has accumulated. May be some credence to his statement, though he didn't expound on the term "plasticizer".

BTW, you're breathing that junk too! Have a nice day!
Pat
dw914er
its the plasic stuff within the car. Happens to alot of cars that sit in the hot sun (dealt with it at the dealership)

get some microfiber towels and invisible glass spray. Use that to clean it up. ALso try keeping the windows cracked a tad so it doesn't get as hot in the interior.

Eric_Shea
get some microfiber towels and invisible glass spray.

agree.gif Ironically, I just did this with my 911 about 2 hours ago. Probably all the new vinyl in there.
Elliot Cannon
I heard someone use a fancy term called "off gassing". I guess the vinyl and plastic emits gas. Kinda like Slits only better smelling and less toxic. av-943.gif
sww914
We just need some hot Grid Girls to hold umbrellas over our cars for us. smile.gif
byndbad914
most likely out gassing as others have mentioned since the heater isn't attached and burning some oil.

BTW that girl looks a bit trashy...
if she just took the panties off altogether it would be much classier happy11.gif

I will rather hold my own umbrella and just follow her around laugh.gif

KELTY360
She's probably an uggo from the front. shades.gif
Eric_Shea
I will rather hold my own umbrella and just follow her around

As long as ye be dreamin... dream big I say.

I'd rather have her $#(*^ my &^$#^%# for about 1 hour and then I'd like to *&$%&# her for about 12 hours and then do it again. Rinse and repeat a couple 2-3 times a week.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Sep 11 2008, 04:38 PM) *

I don't have heat exchangers (Kerry Hunter exhaust) and don't run the heater, but its possible there is engine compartment air coming into the cabin via the old duct work ... I'll have to make sure its still blocked off. But the problem happens while the car isn't running.

Suggestion: Get the caps off of 2 cans of spray paint. They fit the ducts perfectly. I used the caps off Orange spray paint for Betty's car (she doesn't want the heater hooked up for fear of smelling like oil smoke at work).
nsr-jamie
Could it have anything to do with the climate or the part of the world you live in?
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 11 2008, 11:47 PM) *

A butter face?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Sep 12 2008, 11:39 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 11 2008, 11:47 PM) *

A butter face?

You mean "everything looks great but her face?" biggrin.gif

TROJANMAN
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 12 2008, 08:54 AM) *

You mean "everything looks great but her face?" biggrin.gif

YES. But looking through milky filmed windows, does it really matter? blink.gif

av-943.gif
kerensky
I suppose the 'oil from the heater' theory could be adding to it, but whoever mentioned the vinyl plasticizers offgassing has it right. Best way to not get it is to replace all the vinyl with leather. smile.gif Yeah, you'd still get some from the hard plastics, but not nearly as much as from the vinyl.
turboman808
In almost all cases it's from the sun baking the plastic inside the car.
jhadler
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Sep 11 2008, 01:42 PM) *

Most 914's don't have that problem, they're on jack stands with the windows down. tooth.gif

Aw Geez, I almost decorated my monitor with my lunch when I read that. Must be my current frame of mind...

And yes, my car is one of the aforementioned windows-down-jack-stand-perching 914's...

-Josh2
byndbad914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 12 2008, 06:26 AM) *

I will rather hold my own umbrella and just follow her around

As long as ye be dreamin... dream big I say.

I'd rather have her $#(*^ my &^$#^%# for about 1 hour and then I'd like to *&$%&# her for about 12 hours and then do it again. Rinse and repeat a couple 2-3 times a week.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif go big or go home right!!! too funny
sww914
Yeah, terrible from the front.
tracks914
www.RodCollins.com what a site for F1 fans. Thanks, love the grid girls!!!!
McMark
How embarrassing... Someone should tell her that her panties are showing. pinch.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(sww914 @ Sep 12 2008, 09:20 PM) *

Yeah, terrible from the front.

shoot this is supposed to keep the fog off the window? my glasses just fogged over from the pic shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.