Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not my style, but crazy price...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Zimms
Craziness
tronporsche
I think his thinking on it is that if he put 32k into it, and it is still just as clean as when he was done with everything, than it is still basically brand new, and should get pretty much everything back (money wise ) that he put into it.
jonferns
I think that belongs to someone on here.
Steve Thacker
I might be crazy, but I'll sell it and make 2/3 of my money back.
I'm asking 27K but I will probably sell a little below. The car is very nice trust me.
Cap'n Krusty
No comment .......................

The Cap'n
Steve Thacker
Do you guys think I should just give the car away for cheap?

DBCooper
No, of course not. You never know when somebody will fall in love with something. It can happen. I think that's a pretty stout price for any 914, but what do I know? What say we talk again in a month, see how it's going?
dw914er
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Sep 11 2008, 06:26 PM) *

I might be crazy, but I'll sell it and make 2/3 of my money back.
I'm asking 27K but I will probably sell a little below. The car is very nice trust me.

anytime you spend money on a custom car, you'll never get the money back. I'm saying this from experience as a former employee at a classic car dealership. I've seen some wicked rides, but they just don't hold the same values. Your body kit def has a certain appeal to it and that hurts the value. But you may get lucky and find someone who it crazy about it (and willing to spend alot of money for it), but realize its gonna be long shot. That price is alot for a stock 914-4, most of the body kits don't help.

but good luck in your sale.
Steve Thacker
Well, I look at it like this. There are the 550 Spyder kits that are made of fiberglass and are in no way more superior to our cars. As I have driven quite a few now, Beck built and non-Beck types. Those cars go for 22K and up. That is my hope to get after I sell this car. I know it is a long shot, but I have my hopes to get a great price for my car. Maybe a former or current Porsche owner might not be interested and then again...they may. Every place I drive it and attend car shows the car gathers a crowd around it. Even going over to the grocery store for beer run and I come outside to find a group around it. The car is unique and that may help me find a buyer. They will be very happy with the car. I just want to get a much for the car as possible. I know that 27K is a stiff price, but that is also best offer or trade for the car I want. I just lowered the price some and we'll see how it goes.
turnaround89
Personally, i would rather spend 27000 on a 550 spyder then 27k on your car. However, if you would have some sort of engine conversion in the car, then you might get that price, but who knows. Good luck with the sale man, i do like it, but i don't think i would take over my 916 clone!
QUOTE(Zimms @ Sep 11 2008, 04:02 PM) *

hmm why not get an mr2
dlee6204
The 550 Spyder appeals to a lot more people than your car, including me personally. I think yours looks like a Supra. However you built the car according to your appeal and chances are there is someone out there who has the same taste and they will have the option of building their own similar to yours or buying yours at a fraction of the cost. The buyer is always out there, you just have to find the right one. Good luck with the sale.
736conver
hmm thisClick to view attachment

Or this
Click to view attachment

You have taken a car and personalized it to your standards. Cars usually dont sell for high prices when they have been personalized that far.
Anyone remember "The Homer"

Click to view attachment
byndbad914
guys - the guy is a member and didn't exactly ask your opinions - I don't see the need to rail on him.

I make comments as well when we are all sitting around poking at a Craig's ad and so forth, but when it becomes evident the guy is a member I think we should step back a little. Just my .02. Saying the car looks like a Supra so bluntly or to buy an MR2 comes off dick-ish.
skeates
agree.gif
dlee6204
I retract my Supra comment. My purpose was not to offend but I can see where it might. My apologies. It does look like a nice build though. One of the best ones I've seen.
dw914er
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Sep 11 2008, 11:24 PM) *

guys - the guy is a member and didn't exactly ask your opinions - I don't see the need to rail on him.

I make comments as well when we are all sitting around poking at a Craig's ad and so forth, but when it becomes evident the guy is a member I think we should step back a little. Just my .02. Saying the car looks like a Supra so bluntly or to buy an MR2 comes off dick-ish.

I actually do like supras. I don't see the resemblance.

As for the value, it doesn't really matter how clean the custom job is. Well, it does sorta matter, but either clean and poor versions will carry less value than a stockish body. Its just extreme customization reflects ones own standards. Case in point, a 52 cadillac. It was a lead sled, built by Earl Scheib (of the: any car, any color, 29.99). It was a sweet ride, with hours upon hours of body work into it, a clean paintjob, and all the custom things you could think of and a nice big block. It wasn't worth that much though, because it wasn't everyones cup 'ol tea. Thats just the reality for any custom body.

I do wish good luck on your sale, and your car is very clean.
Steve Thacker
I still have hope that I'll get a fair price for my car.

The good thing I have going is. This is not 914 rich California. The 914 appears to still be as common as house flies. The price might go lower due to the amount of cars available.
( I'm guessing here )

Here in the mid-west I have only seen four in the last 30 years. I think that should help me. The less frequent the more chances of finding a buyer.
( Again S.W.A.G theory )
r_towle
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Sep 12 2008, 07:57 AM) *

The good thing I have going is. This is not 914 rich California. The 914 appears to still be as common as house flies. The price might go lower due to the amount of cars available.
( I'm guessing here )

Here in the mid-west I have only seen four in the last 30 years. I think that should help me. The less frequent the more chances of finding a buyer.
( Again S.W.A.G theory )

Agreed that there are more 914's in CA, but that is a $1000 problem to get a car shipped cross country.

A stock /4 in mint condition would go for less than 24k.
A mint /6 would be in that range.
mint /6 conversions dont get that kind of money, and those cost alot to build.

I think if you creap down with the price...you will find the number.
Remember, you can always lower the price, you can never raise it.

Contact Craig at Camp 914, he may work a deal with you and trade.
Also Contact Hussey, he sells Spyders now....he may also work a deal.

Rich
URY914
This thread should be deleted. Bashing a guys car when he is trying to sell it is pretty low.

Let him sell it first than he can rub the cold cash in your face.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 11 2008, 07:21 PM) *

The Cap'n

If you write "No Comment" is it a comment? Sort of like if a tree falls on your 914 and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

biggrin.gif
carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 12 2008, 09:28 AM) *

This thread should be deleted. Bashing a guys car when he is trying to sell it is pretty low.

agree.gif

T.C.
1303RS
First off good luck with the sell. There are tons of people looking for something alittle different than the standard looking 914. It looks good. You just got to get it out to the right person. Just know that it will sell for a fair price to you and the new proud owner.
BKLA
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 12 2008, 06:28 AM) *

agree.gif

It was Steve's dream car. It just might be someone elses as well.

It is still a 914.
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 12 2008, 08:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Sep 12 2008, 07:57 AM) *

( I'm guessing here )

( Again S.W.A.G theory )

Agreed that there are more 914's in CA, but that is a $1000 problem to get a car shipped cross country.

A stock /4 in mint condition would go for less than 24k.
A mint /6 would be in that range.
mint /6 conversions dont get that kind of money, and those cost alot to build.

I think if you creap down with the price...you will find the number.
Remember, you can always lower the price, you can never raise it.

Contact Craig at Camp 914, he may work a deal with you and trade.
Also Contact Hussey, he sells Spyders now....he may also work a deal.

Rich

Guys thank you so very much for the support. I agree, I have to find the right price to get a sell. I may still be too high. I do not know. However Rich I can always count on you from other posts to give a very honest reply. I appreciate that. You know what? I think a even up trade for my car with someone who is tired of their 550 ( ya right lol) might do the trick. Who says money has to do a deal? Ya Know? I will contact the Hussey and Craig at the camp. I'm really motivated now!!!!! Hot diggity damn !!!!

stateofidleness
i don't like when people misuse the words 'sale' and 'sell'....

FOR SELL! ugh..............

/end rant

good luck!
tronporsche
QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 11 2008, 05:09 PM) *

I think his thinking on it is that if he put 32k into it, and it is still just as clean as when he was done with everything, than it is still basically brand new, and should get pretty much everything back (money wise ) that he put into it.
And to add to this, I agree with myself. I also think you should just be patient. There are people out there that wouldn't mind spending the money on somerthing they want, that is already fixed up, which you did. Not everyone is necessarily looking for a 914, or even a car to buy, and that may not be how this car, or anyone elses car for that matter, sales. It could be one of those guys "at the gas station looking at your car". So I think the longer you have the car publicized for sale, the better chance you have of selling it and getting what you want for it. If everything is up to par on it like you say, and it certainly looks good, than why not ask for what you see in it ?? I would do the same thing, and if no one brought it, just keep it, but you've got to give it a chance !!
stateofidleness
QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 12 2008, 09:39 PM) *

elses car for that matter, sales.

grrr.... "sells"
tronporsche
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Sep 12 2008, 07:26 PM) *

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 12 2008, 09:39 PM) *

elses car for that matter, sales.

grrr.... "sells"
laugh.gif , and I tried to be careful !! Do you have a SALEboat ? Never mind me, I'm just being SELLy !!! laugh.gif
justdrive914
Yeah he is a member and he has a 914! he did ask for us to tell him what he should sale his car for come on!
justdrive914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 12 2008, 06:44 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 12 2008, 09:28 AM) *

agree.gif

T.C.

agree.gif
justdrive914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 12 2008, 06:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 11 2008, 07:21 PM) *

The Cap'n

If you write "No Comment" is it a comment? Sort of like if a tree falls on your 914 and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

biggrin.gif

Hell yeah it makes a sound!!!!! av-943.gif
wbergtho
Bashing a guys car when he is trying to sell it is pretty low.

I agree... This is a forumn for all 914 fans of every flavor. We should respect our fellow members and reserve the "dickish" comments for the sandbox. aktion035.gif
Steve Thacker

SOLD SOLD SOLD !!!!!

Today for $18,000

I'm officially 914-less

I'm happy!

dw914er
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Oct 5 2008, 11:58 AM) *

SOLD SOLD SOLD !!!!!

Today for $18,000

I'm officially 914-less

I'm happy!

good job. I think you need another 914 though laugh.gif
jim_hoyland
Contratulations ! beer.gif

Thats a nice price smile.gif
tronporsche
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Oct 5 2008, 10:58 AM) *

SOLD SOLD SOLD !!!!!

Today for $18,000

I'm officially 914-less

I'm happy!
THIS THREAD IS DEDICATED TO ALL OF YOU GUYS, WHO THINK THAT ONLY YOUR "STOCK" 914 IS GOING TO SELL FOR ANY GREAT AMOUNT OF MONEY, AND LIKE TO CALL GUYS AT THE TRACK THAT HAVE A "DIFFERENT" STYLE 914, NAMES. THIS CAR WAS OBVIOUSLY BROUGHT, FIRST OFF, FOR THE LOOKS. HE HAD A GOOD RUNNING STOCK ENGINE. HOWEVER, IN MY STRONG OPINION , I FEEL THAT IF HE DID HAVE A CONVERSION DONE ON THIS CAR, IT WOULD HAVE SOLD FOR MORE MONEY THAN HE RECEIVED, AND THE FACT THAT HE SOLD HIS CAR FOR MORE MONEY THAN I HAVE SEEN ANY "STOCK-LOOKING "914 HERE IN THE U.S. SELL FOR LATELY, SUPPORTS THAT OPINION.............-NOTE-........This post is not meant in any shape, fashion, or form to offend anyone, or to say that a "stock" 914 is not as valuable as a conversion, or body change, just simply trying to point out that you can't judge the sale or value of another persons car, based on what YOU believe to be true, because what YOU HAVE, IS WHAT YOU FAVOR, AND YOU SHOULD NEVER CALL ANOTHER PERSONS CAR NAMES AT THE TRACK OR ANYWHERE ELSE. .......LET THIS BE A LESSON TO YOU . bootyshake.gif (Oh boy, I've made some enemies now!!! ha,ha, av-943.gif )...........GOOD FOR YOU STEVE THACKER. CONGRATULATIONS ON A FINE SALE.
Steve Thacker

TRON >>> Oh boy, I've made some enemies now!!!

UH OH you have pissed on the electric fence now happy11.gif

Ya I'm glad this ride is finally over. The car is going into some guys showroom on his house. The guy has a 16,000 sq ft house and he has a room big enough to put 20 cars in. This car is his number one.

You guys would have laughed you butts off, when we got back to the house after he drove the car. He had the biggest shit eating grin you ever saw on his face.
You would have thunk he orgasmed after driving the car. Happy boy he was. biggrin.gif

Anyway, no more 914s for old Stevie. This was my third and final 914 installment in my life and I'm git'in while the git'in is good. They are a fun car, but I'm going to take up my passion of competition long range shooting again. Not to mention that I get to leave behind the insanity of pick at this and pick at that. Naw that looks like crap...tear it back out and do it right! This car tested my patience, increased my cussing 10 fold, tried to put me in the poor house, kept me from the Mrs every weekend.

The insanity has stopped !!! ( AND NO I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER) laugh.gif

WOOHOO!!!! I'M FREE AT LAST..YES LAWD! FREE AT LAST!!!!

Dance you lil fucker lol piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

number6
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Oct 6 2008, 05:04 AM) *

TRON >>> Oh boy, I've made some enemies now!!!

UH OH you have pissed on the electric fence now happy11.gif

Ya I'm glad this ride is finally over. The car is going into some guys showroom on his house. The guy has a 16,000 sq ft house and he has a room big enough to put 20 cars in. This car is his number one.

You guys would have laughed you butts off, when we got back to the house after he drove the car. He had the biggest shit eating grin you ever saw on his face.
You would have thunk he orgasmed after driving the car. Happy boy he was. biggrin.gif

Anyway, no more 914s for old Stevie. This was my third and final 914 installment in my life and I'm git'in while the git'in is good. They are a fun car, but I'm going to take up my passion of competition long range shooting again. Not to mention that I get to leave behind the insanity of pick at this and pick at that. Naw that looks like crap...tear it back out and do it right! This car tested my patience, increased my cussing 10 fold, tried to put me in the poor house, kept me from the Mrs every weekend.

The insanity has stopped !!! ( AND NO I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER) laugh.gif

WOOHOO!!!! I'M FREE AT LAST..YES LAWD! FREE AT LAST!!!!

Dance you lil fucker lol piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Steve, can you post a few photos of the car? The CL ad link has expired. Congrats on your sale.
dflesburg
Steve, you were at P2Oxford, there were at least 6 914's there. Hell, we have three now. Next year we will be bringing at least two to P2O. Hopefully, my brother and father will show up with thiers and we will have 4 there that day.

Congrats on getting so much for your car!!! That was amazing. Perhaps if I ever sell mine I will have you sell it for me. I wouldn't mind settling for 60 grand. LOL

Hopefully we will see you at P2Oxford next year. 914 owners are like drunks without AA. They always seem to quit for a while, but they can't help themselves.
URY914
Nice sale, Good for you.
tronporsche
Yep, showroom floor. That is exactly what I suspected. A car like that usually would be had by a cele-braty , or someone with a sweet car collection. I am not surprised at all. It is very exotic looking.
Twise
I am reminded of two things:

1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

2. If you don't have anything nice to say...

All you guys who shat on this guys ride - shame on you...
Steve Thacker
Someone asked for some photos..well here you go.

Steve Thacker
next
Steve Thacker
One mo
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Oct 6 2008, 09:32 AM) *

Steve, you were at P2Oxford, there were at least 6 914's there. Hell, we have three now. Next year we will be bringing at least two to P2O. Hopefully, my brother and father will show up with thiers and we will have 4 there that day.

Congrats on getting so much for your car!!! That was amazing. Perhaps if I ever sell mine I will have you sell it for me. I wouldn't mind settling for 60 grand. LOL

Hopefully we will see you at P2Oxford next year. 914 owners are like drunks without AA. They always seem to quit for a while, but they can't help themselves.

If you want me to sell your car, I'll throw in a dozen pole dancers, a 12 pack and a bag of good weed and your car will go for 60K. happy11.gif

Thank you for the kind words. If you make it to the P2O next year i will be there sans a teener. I'll bring the ole lady she is worth a look lol.
zonedoubt
How do you get historical plates on that car? Doesn't it have to be near original/stock/factory for those plates? At least that's how it works here. confused24.gif

QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Oct 6 2008, 06:20 PM) *

next

jd74914
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Oct 6 2008, 11:05 PM) *

How do you get historical plates on that car? Doesn't it have to be near original/stock/factory for those plates? At least that's how it works here. confused24.gif

QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Oct 6 2008, 06:20 PM) *

next

From what I have seen, the rules are very different everywhere. In CT (and apparently Ohio) it just has to be over 25 years old to get a historic plate; other states are stricter. smile.gif
number6
QUOTE(tronporsche @ Oct 6 2008, 11:14 AM) *

Yep, showroom floor. That is exactly what I suspected. A car like that usually would be had by a cele-braty , or someone with a sweet car collection. I am not surprised at all. It is very exotic looking.

I respect your differing opinion.

I really appreciate that we're not SCREAMING anymore.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.