Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Body shop returned car with left tail light miswired. Riddle goes like this: 5 terminals RF, 54, 58, 31, 1

5 wire sets blk/gry, blk/grn, gry/brn, solid brn, gry/blk.

Please connect the dots for me. What goes where?
Dave_Darling
Sadly, the factory diagram's numbers don't match these numbers. sad.gif I have the connections listed at home, but I'm not there right now.

The most helpful advice I have is to dig out a multimeter that has a continuity tester. (Goes "Beeeeeeeeeeep" when the two probes are touching each other.) Test each of the terminals on the back against each of the light sockets. One socket will have two metal "tabs" at the bottom; this one gets the dual-filament bulb. The others will have one metal tab down at the bottom.

So you put one probe on one of the connectors on the back, then try each of those tabs in turn. When you hear "Beeeeeeeep" you know you have the light associated with that connector. Look at the diagram to find out which wire runs that function, and that's the wire that goes there!

Also try the side of the sockets; the ground connector will have continuity with all of them.

If you can master this technique, you will never be stuck trying to figure out lightbulb connections again. smile.gif

--DD
Howard
Thanks, Dave.

With 5 plugs and 5 receptacles on each assy, and not even knowing which was was the ground, this was fun. I downloaded the wiring digram and that and the voltage tester did the job. If anyone else needs the cheat sheet, let me know. It's available for a nominal cost wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.