Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remote Oil Filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scoobykvn
I am fixing a PO problem with the add on remote oil filter. The original mounting (or lack there of) was with sheet metal screws to the firewall near the heater tube inlet on the passenger side. I am trying to figure out a good place to mount it and looking to see what others have done. Pics would be great. Thanks for any help given.
URY914
This doesn't answer your question but what's wrong with the stock location? You have to get under the car to drain the oil anyway.

What type of remote filter bracket are you using? How do the lines feed in and out? Only side only? Both sides?
scoobykvn
I will take some pictures tonight when I get home from work. I am new to 914's so I don't know how the filter mounts originally. Can someone give me a good picture of this? Would it be easy and somewhat cheap to convert it back to original mounting?
URY914
Cheap? It should be free.

You may even make money on the deal if you sell the remote parts. biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 12 2008, 11:28 AM) *

Cheap? It should be free.

You may even make money on the deal if you sell the remote parts. biggrin.gif

He also asked if easy...we're talking engine drop here.
Or taking the fan shroud off in the car...nice rolleyes.gif

Find a better mounting spot, maybe longer hoses.
URY914
Why would he have to drop the engine or take the fan housing off to remove the remote filter pieces? I would doubt that this is a full flow system. Probably a spin on hose fitting to the stock filter mount. These are pretty common.
scoobykvn
I will post some pictures later tonight to better show what it is. All I can say from the amount I have looked at it is that there are two hoses that come off of the passenger side of the engine and go to a remote filter mount. I don't see how the stock filter would mount if I removed both of the hoses, and it does appear like I would have to remove the fan housing to even unscrew the hoses. The hoses screw in horizontally right near the passenger side motor mount, if this helps describe it.
URY914
Look at the item in this link. I'm betting that's what you have.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=222
Mark Henry
If he has that then yes, he can change it no problem.

If it's "proper" full flow with the stock mount removed then he will have issue with the top nut on the stock mount.

Need pic

scoobykvn
I am hoping that is all I have, then I can remove it easily. The motor is a recently rebuilt 2.0 liter, that is not built up to be a race motor. So, besides the extra oil capacity and larger filter, is there some good reason to have this remote filter? I can't seem to understand why the PO did it in the first place, since it was not any easier to get to.
Mark Henry
I do it to run the better type 1 oil pump and the stock filter mount is not true full flow.
scoobykvn
I have not been able to get a pic yet, but I did look at it and it is not just the screw on adapter. The two lines are separated by probably about 3-4 inches. I will try to get a decent picture soon.
ConeDodger
McMark made a nifty custom scoop and mounted my oil filter under my battery tray much like the 911 oil filters are mounted. It points out toward the engine. The scoop has a drain brazed into it and a clear plastic line runs down under the car for any oil that spills during oil changes. Mark has pictures if I can't find one after typing this... No luck. I think he has it posted on his site though, Original Customs banner ad.
McMark
Here's some pics. Uses a stock 914 filter or a stock 914/6 filter. It catches oil spill nicely and routes it out of the car. If you plan ahead, you can put a bottle under the drain hose to catch the spill.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 12 2008, 06:53 PM) *

Here's some pics. Uses a stock 914 filter or a stock 914/6 filter. It catches oil spill nicely and routes it out of the car. If you plan ahead, you can put a bottle under the drain hose to catch the spill.

At the recent first in car oil change there was almost no spillage at all. Seems it all drained back into the engine when I drained the oil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.