Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear shocks,does one side go "bad" b-4 the other??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Bought a set of used Bilstiens for the rear of my 914...upon cleaning them and inspecting them, i noticed one is much easier to push the shaft down and that the recovery rate is much slower than the other one (gas)....

The Koni reds that I just took off the car has a similar deal.....one shock is much easier to push the shaft down and pull out (Hydraulic)

Is this common with our cars...does one side wear faster?? I doubt it, but I thought it odd to find this out tonight....

Now, do I repair or buy new shocks??

I'm tempted to get new Koni Sports from Paragon at $272 a pair for the rear.
ChrisReale
I removed all 4 KYB's off my 914 and installed new shocks. The fronts were as you describe. One was firm, the other practically fell into the housing on its own. Dont know if its just they way it is, or what. I say get the Koni's. I have the sports on all 4 corners and the adjustibility is great, not to mention all you have to do is turn a knob.
Tony C
It is not cost effective to get the shocks you have rebuilt. Yes, seals/o-rings/wipers can wear out at different rates.

-Tony
Zeke
I discovered the same thing on my used rears. One is soft. They come in pairs, but they don't act like it. LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.