Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nice-looking 914-6 for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Nice looking car. But the price (!) and VIN seem a bit, uh, outta whack. Or am I?

http://www.cannillomotorsports.com/inventory/9146/9146.htm

EDIT: I am, at least on the VIN.

pete
r_towle
lower aluminum one has modern day rivets...looser.
The upper stamped on looks ok, just looks like they sanded around the area and painted it over...

I would look underneath the stamped one to be sure...and look at all the welds on that inner fender panel to make sure its for real..

Overall, its a nice job, the seam sealer even looks factory.

Rich
SirAndy
It's been repainted. That's why the lower VIN plate doesn't have the original rivets anymore and the fender VIN stamping is painted over ...

bye1.gif Andy
r_towle
But there are sources for the original rivets.....should be replace with good ones...and the vin should not get painted, should it???
I know the vin on my /4's is not painted.

Rich
horizontally-opposed
I was more focused on the way the numbers are crooked and outta whack.

Unfortunately, my 914 is apart for paint (and where can *I* get some of the correct rivets, while we're on that topic biggrin.gif ), so I can't look at it. But Johnson's book depicts one where the numbers are straight....

pete
Gustl
this car was discussed in the Classifieds section recently ...

LINK

bye1.gif Gustl
IronHillRestorations
It's been raced or autocrossed. I'm going to opine that the VIN on the inner fender has been "replicated", it doesn't look right to me. Maybe accident repair?
Lavanaut
QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 12 2008, 11:20 AM) *

It's been raced or autocrossed.

Can you qualify that? I'm just curious what leads you to that conclusion... confused24.gif
sixnotfour
Some sixes look perfect and some look like a drunk stamped them .
go to armandos for sale section and look at all the vins there , big variance.

The four ones are stamped nicely in comparison
dw914er
I noticed on the other thread/link about the sagging door panel. And people mentioned the restored factor on the car.

I like the car, and that color sure is gorgeous. But there are a few imperfections affecting its "perfect original" title.
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 12 2008, 09:50 AM) *

I was more focused on the way the numbers are crooked and outta whack.

A lot of them do. They were handstamped, after all.

QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 12 2008, 10:20 AM) *

I'm going to opine that the VIN on the inner fender has been "replicated", it doesn't look right to me.

I don't think so. It's got the right "star" symbol (which is different from the /4 cars) and the font looks correct as well.

My guess would be that the front trunk had a lot of scratched paint and that's why it was repainted. And yes, the VIN should *not* be painted over ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: /4 VIN, just as crooked. Note the different "star" on the /4 cars ...

Lavanaut
I was told this car was fully repainted as part of the recent restoration.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Sep 12 2008, 11:38 AM) *

I was told this car was fully repainted as part of the recent restoration.

The only reason why i didn't think it was a full repaint is that people usually paint over the black goo on the front shock towers on the /6 cars. Looks like they either masked those off or put something similar to the factory goo back on their afterwards.

Too bad they didn't keep the sticker on the door jamb. I wonder what the black karmann plate looks like ...
idea.gif Andy
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 12 2008, 03:44 PM) *

Too bad they didn't keep the sticker on the door jamb. I wonder what the black karmann plate looks like ...
idea.gif Andy

I wouldn't expect to see the DOT sticker on the door jamb if it was originally delivered to Italy. For that made I wouldn't have expected to see front side markers or USA directional lenses front and rear.

Still, a very nice looking car and will certainly go over $30k.
johannes
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 12 2008, 11:44 AM) *

idea.gif Andy

Me think, italian car ... no sticker
SirAndy
QUOTE(johannes @ Sep 12 2008, 02:03 PM) *

Me think, italian car ... no sticker

I dis-agree ...

No import car will be able to get on the road here without the DOT approval. If properly imported, it *should* have a DOT sticker ...
bye1.gif Andy
Gustl
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Sep 12 2008, 10:51 PM) *

... it was originally delivered to Italy. For that made I wouldn't have expected to see front side markers or USA directional lenses front and rear.

the front side markers are correct for an original Italien car
in Italy they worked as turn lights

bye1.gif Gustl
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Gustl @ Sep 12 2008, 03:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Sep 12 2008, 10:51 PM) *

... it was originally delivered to Italy. For that made I wouldn't have expected to see front side markers or USA directional lenses front and rear.

the front side markers are correct for an original Italien car
in Italy they worked as turn lights

bye1.gif Gustl

Interesting to see the different VIN stampings...

So it was side marker as turn signal + white upright light setup for the Italian cars? I always wondered why the ALL white light on Italian 914s while early 911s just got a bit more white in their white/amber front lenses...

Thanks,

pete
sixerdon
It would seem to me that the windshield VIN tag would be missing also on this car. Weren't they only for US cars?
All in all it looks good in the pictures, but it's needing a lot of little details to make it more complete, but I don't want to go that here. The prospective owner should do his/her homework on sixes and '71 914's in general,......be it an Italian car or US. I hope he gets what he wants for it. Makes my sixes look real good.

Don
mel reckling
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 12 2008, 04:39 PM) *

It would seem to me that the windshield VIN tag would be missing also on this car. Weren't they only for US cars?
All in all it looks good in the pictures, but it's needing a lot of little details to make it more complete, but I don't want to go that here. The prospective owner should do his/her homework on sixes and '71 914's in general,......be it an Italian car or US. I hope he gets what he wants for it. Makes my sixes look real good.

Don

I can't speak for all of them, but my 72(originally delivered to France) didn't have one, had to stamp one on a tin plate for my DOT clearance process along with side markers and some seat belt requirement.

The DOT never gave me any kind of door sticker.

Todd Enlund
Wrong rear bumper.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Sep 12 2008, 06:59 PM) *

Wrong rear bumper.

Nope, it's got the correct late model bumper with the rounder edges ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
Gustl
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 12 2008, 11:48 PM) *
So it was side marker as turn signal + white upright light setup for the Italian cars?

correct

here are a couple of original Italien 914-6 and 914-4

auerbach
Take a look at www.sloancars.com

Check out the 914-6 in new inventory.
Gustl
QUOTE(auerbach @ Sep 13 2008, 08:39 PM) *

Take a look at www.sloancars.com

Check out the 914-6 in new inventory.

in the description it says "There is not one nicer on the planet!"

would like to hear George's comment on this - he also claims to have the best 914-6 on this planet (the green 1971 914-6) rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif Gustl
Lavanaut
That's gotta be the car that TruSpeed had up for sale...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.