Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
dempwolf@pctribe.com
Is the rear trunk held open by tension springs like the front or with a prob rod. Called Stoddard to see what they have and their drawing shows hinges, rollers but no spring to keep the rear lid open. When asking him about the front lid, there it shows the springs. Can someone explain this. I do not want to drill to add the small torsion bars on my '72 914 to hold the rear lid open. Thanks for your time. Karl
1970 Neun vierzehn
Karl,
Here's a pic of the front springs. I'll try to find a good photo of the rear roller & tension rod assembly and post it.

Paul
SirAndy
QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Sep 12 2008, 10:12 AM) *

Is the rear trunk held open by tension springs like the front or with a prob rod.

Neither ...

The rear trunk lid is held open by two torsion springs that are located in the engine compartment.

Haynes manual, Page 198/199 ...
bye1.gif Andy
dempwolf@pctribe.com
Andy don't know why those torsion springs are missing, would love to see where they are meant to go, need to get that Haynes book. Thanks Karl
SirAndy
QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Sep 12 2008, 06:26 PM) *

Andy don't know why those torsion springs are missing, would love to see where they are meant to go, need to get that Haynes book. Thanks Karl

I don't have a good picture of the torsion springs. And the ones on my car are long gone.

Maybe someone else will have a picture ...
beerchug.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
Here's the best photo I could find so far.....

Paul
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 12 2008, 09:16 PM) *

Here's the best photo I could find so far.....

biggrin.gif

Uhm, that doesn't show the torsion springs at all ...
shades.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
I see about 1.5" of the spring biggrin.gif .
dempwolf@pctribe.com
Thanks guys went to the Ventura Porsche Swap meet today and bought the two pieces of steel torsion bars that stretch from one side of the car to the other, with the ends either fastened to the wheel well and the other riding on the nylon roller wheel. To attach it that will be another interesting discussion, of course I will need lots of help. Thanks for your time. Karl
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Sep 14 2008, 06:26 PM) *

the two pieces of steel torsion bars that stretch from one side of the car to the other, with the ends either fastened to the wheel well and the other riding on the nylon roller wheel. To attach it that will be another interesting discussion, of course I will need lots of help. Thanks for your time. Karl

Ah, here we have a little more of those tension bars.....................

...hope these pics give you some idea of how they're installed.
dempwolf@pctribe.com
Those are great shots thank you, I will save them for later, since I believe my Haltech FI system will not permit me to use that system now. The other originality question that I'm wondering about after seeing those images is the water drain line with the funnel an item found on both 4;s and 6's. Thanks Karl
SirAndy
QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Oct 18 2008, 08:52 PM) *

The other originality question that I'm wondering about after seeing those images is the water drain line with the funnel an item found on both 4;s and 6's.

The /6s didn't have a rain tray, so no funnel ...

bye1.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Oct 18 2008, 10:52 PM) *

Those are great shots thank you, I will save them for later, since I believe my Haltech FI system will not permit me to use that system now. The other originality question that I'm wondering about after seeing those images is the water drain line with the funnel an item found on both 4;s and 6's. Thanks Karl

Hmmm, I guess I would ask why you're concerned with appearance originality when you have installed a Haltech system?
Pat
dw914er
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 21 2008, 07:03 PM) *

QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Oct 18 2008, 10:52 PM) *

Hmmm, I guess I would ask why you're concerned with appearance originality when you have installed a Haltech system?
Pat

maybe its to know what was original and what someone else have changed. If its not original, you never know what the person was thinking before to make the change?
idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.