Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JB Weld on Por 15
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
Getting ready to JB Weld a few nuts on a Por 15 treated surface and I'm wondering how well the JB will stick to the Por 15. Anybody have any experience or thoughts??

Paul
Mark Henry
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Sep 12 2008, 02:57 PM) *

Getting ready to JB Weld a few nuts on a Por 15 treated surface and I'm wondering how well the JB will stick to the Por 15. Anybody have any experience or thoughts??

Paul

Yes I have a few thoughts and #1 is why would you do this?
AvalonFal
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 12 2008, 03:48 PM) *

Yes I have a few thoughts and #1 is why would you do this?

It's to reset a broken captured nut under the dash frame that a wrench can't get to without moving a lot of wiring and switches, but I can get my fingers to. Thought I'd just set it into some JB to keep it from spinning when tightening/loosening.

Now, does anybody have any experiences with JB holding on Por??

Paul
scrz914
No, you're probably the first.
However, I'm sure the folks at POR-15 would say to just rough up the surface before applying anything. That's what they always tell me when I ask if I can apply second coat, top coat, etc.
Will it work well?...50/50 chance.
Eric_Shea
Good idea Paul.

JB Weld is awesome. No experience that I can think of idea.gif Can you get your fingers in there and sand it down?
Katmanken
When building aircraft structures, the sequence is glue first, paint second.

Why?

Because your glue joint is no better that the surface the glue sticks to.

A JB weld of metal to metal may take a bazillion pounds of load without failure, but I bet the metal to JB to POR to metal bond is WAY less in terms of load.

And, POR does bubble and lift when coated by other materials so your Epoxy based JB may eat the POR paint making for a really crappy bond.....

Try it and see. JB formuation may be different enough to not affect the POR.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.