Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Ike knocking on our doors...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michaelt55
Well..wish us luck here in Houston, seems like we may be with power and maybe water for a time...

Hopefully the 914 will be safe and snug in the garage...the Lexus(wifes car new!!!) and the nissan's are out side...

Michael
So.Cal.914
Keep your head down and your snorkel up. See ya here later. smile.gif
Gint
Good luck!
Joe Owensby
Glad to see you had the right priority on which car to put in the garage. Hope all is well. My son is working at the space center there as an engineering co-op this semester, and is staying down by the bay. We had him fly back to SC for the weekend, since we didn't know what was best. Plus, he gets to see his college buddies this weekend.

I hope all comes out well for you and all others in the path of the storm. JoeO
stateofidleness
good luck buddy!
im here in San Antonio, and usually i get to go down to the gulf with our Emergency Ops team (i work for HEB), but i had to stay behind to the center here this time.

we're lookin out for ya'll!

good luck
abbott295
Yes. Hunker very down. My son is doing his weekend in Coast Guard Reserve this weekend based in Mobile. It should be an interesting weekend for him. He just graduated basic training in July.
A&PGirl
My Dad and I just finished batting down the 914's outside. The weathermen are predicting a gully washer here in our area. I hope you guys on the landing zone don't wash away...
HCRDAN
we lucked out in Austin. Earlier in the week, it looked like we would get hit had the storm continued its path toward landfall in Corpus. Be well if you are on the path of this storm. Its a big one. We have a lot of refugees here in Austin, and the DE planned for this weekend in College Station has been canceled, although some of the instructors with 4wd versions were thinking it should be held anyways, even if you would have to anchor down the corner workers with cement blocks. piratenanner.gif
xperu
I'm in League City TX. just about 25 miles north of Galveston, my car is also tucked in the garage for the long night. The windows are boarded up and we have plenty of water, food and gas for cooking, just waiting and praying it passes quickly. I work at NASA so they let us go home early yesterday as they were shuting down the space center for IKE. Take care all of you Houston folks. Mike icon8.gif
michaelt55
well..it looks like it coming right at me here in Katy. I am due to work tomorrow am in the Emergency Room, so I bet its going to be a tough day......

hopefully it will slow down after landfall...

Michael
zambezi
Just got done with Gustov and now I am listening to the winds outside from Ike. Hope everyone in texas near the coast is ready this is going to be a wet one,
JIM
DBCooper
Son says no damage to our house. A lot of water so he can't get out, but our little corner (1960/Champions) came through OK. No electricity and instructions to ration water and boil it before using. Huge oak in front of a neighbor's house came down across the court, so no one's going anywhere until that's cut up, and probably more just like before he could get out to a main road.
Bartlett 914
Out thoughts have been with you all day. my wife's uncle is in Houston and he stuck it out. They are O.K. No power and 12" rain. No flooding. I think he is very lucky. This storm is so big it has changed our weather. We are getting Rain and more rain. 8" in 12 hours. My house had 8 " in the basement and my living room has water also. We have hand bailed all day and are worried about tonight because heavy rain is predicted. At least we do not have the storm surges and strong winds. We sure hope everyone down south is doing alright. Our thoughts and sympathies are with you.
Gene
Ike actually hit us today up in Kentucky. 70mph sustained winds for about 8 to 10 hours if not more. Half the city is now without power due to the trees and lines all falling down.
DBCooper
My son in Houston says they cut their way out of the neighborhood yesterday The subdivision was known for large trees and he says that every other house has a major tree down. Funny because they all fell toward the southwest, unfortunately sometimes southwest was where the house was. Neighbors with chain saws cut up what they could and dragged them out of the middle of the streets so they could get out to the main road. He says there are so many trees down that in the future the place is going to look a lot different than it did before.

He thinks because of the trees they won't have electricity again for weeks or more, meaning it may be a while before we hear from other folks down there. My son found a FEMA trailer in Tomball for ice and bottled water, says there are a couple of gas stations that had electricity and are open but they have quarter-mile lines. There's not enough ice to chill beer, so for the foreseeable future it's gong to be meat on the grill and tequila. So for him things aren't THAT bad. For others I don't know.
DBCooper
Still no electricity. They have running water but still supposed to boil. Lots of stories coming out, bad things, odd things. Strange one was that the hummingbirds are going crazy. There are no flowers left anywhere as they're beginning to migrate south along the coast, so hummingbird feeders are being swarmed. That's something I never would have imagined. Better story than some of the sad ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.