Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proper black for engine lid grill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
jonferns
I plan on painting my engine lid grill this weekend, but am unsure the type of black paint to use, flat, satin, gloss? Any help would be appreciated. bye1.gif
jonferns
So, nobody knows? confused24.gif
southernmost914
Satin black.
scotty b
satin or low gloss not high gloss
1970 Neun vierzehn
agree.gif Satin.

Here's the best pic I could find, close-up wise, of the OEM finish.
jonferns
Thanks! And for the area underneath, also satin?
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Sep 14 2008, 05:29 AM) *

Thanks! And for the area underneath, also satin?

On my early '70, satin also. Other years, hopefully we'll hear.

Paul
Lavanaut
Glad we're all in agreement that it's satin, because I did mine in satin last week! smile.gif This isn't the best picture but it came out very nice I think. Combined with the new lettering it looks gooooood. wub.gif

Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Sep 16 2008, 03:39 PM) *

......... but it came out very nice I think. Combined with the new lettering it looks gooooood. wub.gif

Click to view attachment

I'd say. Looks nice. When I'd do something like that, I'd get the paint on so thick, there'd be no holes in the grill left. laugh.gif

Paul
jonferns
Lavanut, it looks great! I did mine and it came out pretty nice. I will take a pic once I get it on the car. Thanks for all the responses guys
scotty b
Matte black powder coat. SHHHHHhhhhhh dont tell Pat it's powder Gauge suround is a light, texture black

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 16 2008, 07:51 PM) *

Matte black powder coat. SHHHHHhhhhhh dont tell Pat it's powder Gauge suround is a light, texture black

AARRRGGGGHHH! Bogus, bogus, busted! If I could spell a growl, I would.

Matte? What the hell, if you're going to use the wrong finish you may as well use the wrong patina!
Pat

Oppionated! Well, YES!
JeffBowlsby
From the Factory manual: biggrin.gif

1970 Neun vierzehn
.....but it doesn't specify the engine grille or the fuel tank.

Paul
jonferns
Satin worked out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.