Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Incredible car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mel reckling
About 30 years ago I worked at a Toyota dealership where a formula Vee racer worked as a mechanic. He was the man who gave me the heads-up on the 72/6 I have today. About 25 years ago I went to his house where he had a 70 1.7 in absolutely gorgeous condition sitting with only 14,000 miles on it.

Today, I was out in his area and decided to stop by. He's sitting in his garage, now 83 years old and there it was. The same 70 in exactly the same spot in the same condition with the 14,000 still on the clock.

This is a car that looks like it has never been dirty, ever. He helped order the car and has some very interesting characteristics. I plan on going back out to get a series of pics in a couple of weeks.

Here's a bit about it.

vin: 4702910016

door # 2529567

production date: 6/70

color: adriatic blue

interior: beige cordouroy

All books, tool kit and maintenance records are in perfect condition

The car fired right up and ran like a top.

Hope to have the shots up in a bit.

SirAndy
QUOTE(mel reckling @ Sep 12 2008, 06:09 PM) *

Here's a bit about it.

thumb3d.gif

I added it to the database. Sounds like a timecapsule ...
santa_smiley.gif Andy
SGB
beerchug.gif

so cool...

can't wait to find out more. Thanks!
hwgunner
chowtime.gif
championgt1
Very cool. Pictures for sure!
mel reckling
I hadn't seen this man since the late 80s, but knew if he still had the car it would be in the condition it was.

He recently sold a 1956 Carrera he raced, that car was restored and has gone overseas and now is estimated to be worth $400,000+.

Can't wait to get back, the historic pictures of his racing days including him towing his 356 with his VW Beetle to Nelson's Ledges are classic.

I am going to try to get copies of everything I can. He was always a Porsche fanatic and an all around good guy. I'll keep him anonymous until he says it's OK to use his name. He knows little about the internet, but with his help I hope to enter as much about him as possible, maybe some kind of interview.

Thanks for entering the info into the database. He gave me the number of a man he knows with a nice 72 that's probably not entered yet too.

monkeyboy
Sounds like someone I could listen to for hours.

The CW's would love to see a totally original survivor. There are some things that just can't be replicated.

Pictures please!
abbott295
Can you get him to put you in his will?
bdstone914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
mel reckling
I know, I know. I've already said I'm going back out to take some pics, hopefully next week.

We worked together for about 9 years and yes he is someone you could talk to for hours on end, did that many times.
mel reckling
Thanks for all your patience, here's some shots.

To preface the pics, a bit of history on the car. The man I know, call him AB, bought this car back in 1973 from a customer he help order the car for in 1970. It is a bare-bones, standard model with the only options being the tinted glass, 165 tires and a 5 sp. AB was a Porshe tech at the time working for Berea Porsche. They changed it to dual 40mm Solexes, but still has original injection system in perfect shape. They also upgraded the heads although I'm not sure how.

AB himself is what I consider one of those minor legends and a true Porschephile. A testimony to his devotion is his past ownership of a 1954 Speedster he had from 1965-2002 and ran up a grand total of 3 miles in that time. He raced a 51 cpe for years often towing it behind a 1964(36hp) Beetle.

If the condition of these books give you an indication as to how clean this car is, I felt like I was holding a precious manuscript.

As promised...
mel reckling
AB had to move 3 cars out of the way to take it outside, a real class guy.
Heeltoe914
very cool car.
mel reckling
notice no vinyl insert on dash.
Cap'n Krusty
"Ordered it with a 5 speed"? ALL 914/4s came with a 5 speed. Except, of course for the sportomatics that are as yet unverified. Nice car, though ..............

The Cap'n
jc914
WOW thats a perfect original smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Racer
Funky side marker eh? Those wheels look really wide to me for some reason.. Love the blue though.. mmm 1.7 smile.gif
mel reckling
The previous owner put them side markers from a VW BUS!!! He also had done the car in red pinstripes like someone rolling a house.

Cap'n I asked him about the trans., he said they could have gotten a 4 spd. I don't know one way or another.
mel reckling
Underhood it gets real good
SGB
Fascinating.... popcorn[1].gif
mel reckling
Spare never down
Pat Garvey
I have a set of the same wheels for my '72 - Brazilian made 5 1/2", made primarily for VW.

The bilstein jack in the front trunk wasn't available for 914's until mid-72.

Helluva nice car, though. The only thing I'd change would be side markers.

Oh, and I'd put the FI back on.
Pat
mel reckling
Getting dark, running out of light
mel reckling
All for now.
Ferg
Um WOW.

I'd love to be in line if it goes up for sale anytime soon.

Ferg
Hammy
Wow, pristine car.

14,000 still on the clock.

You mean he hasn't driven it for 30+ years?
mel reckling
Actually, he has driven it less than 1,000 miles in that time. I believe there's 14,789 on it now, don't remember what it was 25 years ago when I last saw it, but it was 14,000 something back then

He was driving it up to a car show 2 miles from his house the day after the pics were taken. It runs and drives very well.

mel reckling
More book shots
watsonrx13
Cool car, thanks for the pics....

-- Rob
Joe Bob
I love steel wheels. That's why my rides have them.....
mel reckling
I didn't see a blemish on any of the wheels, but did catch myself a number of times gazing at the spare tire in awe.

I believe he did put a new set of skins on it a few years back, might be Yokohamas(sp.).

URY914
I like the fact that it is low miles and clean. But it's not totally original.

My best friend in high school had one that same color.
Root_Werks
That is one nice 914 and so very cool to find another time capsule.
Joe Bob
Yeah, but at 83 years old....isn't time to start driving it before he croaks or his kids take away his driver's license? Or hell...put a V8 in it.... piratenanner.gif
TravisNeff
Wow!!!!
JRust
Absolutely incredible! I'd love to be that guys grandkid. I make sure he knew how much I loved that car blink.gif
rjames
Yeah, but at 83 years old....isn't time to start driving it before he croaks or his kids take away his driver's license?

agree.gif At 83 I would driving the sh*t out of that car. biggrin.gif driving.gif

Beautiful car. I have those exact wheels. I wish mine were in as good of shape though. dry.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(mel reckling @ Sep 25 2008, 06:22 PM) *

notice no vinyl insert on dash.

What is the switch to the left of the lighter outlet for?
mel reckling
I didn't realize when I was taking the pics there would be so much flashback on the dash shots, most look terrible.

I'll run through them and try to find more of that switch.
scotty b
Would this be Ab with the black cherry speedster ?? wub.gif
mel reckling
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 26 2008, 03:03 PM) *

Might be, but the speedster(from pics he showed me) was guards red. It is now in Greece, as a driver. He showed me a letter that stated new owner turned down $360,000 recently.

I'll ask him if it was black cherry at any time, he said it was painted after he sold it in 2002. It was out at the 50th anniversary at Pebble Beach. The man is from the Cleveland area if that's any help.

scotty b
[quote name='mel reckling' date='Sep 26 2008, 06:48 PM' post='1084747']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 26 2008, 03:03 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]

Might be, but the speedster(from pics he showed me) was guards red. It is now in Greece, as a driver. He showed me a letter that stated new owner turned down $360,000 recently.

I'll ask him if it was black cherry at any time, he said it was painted after he sold it in 2002. It was out at the 50th anniversary at Pebble Beach. The man is from the Cleveland area if that's any help.
[/quote]

Last name is Teideman or something similar
type47fan
QUOTE(mel reckling @ Sep 25 2008, 06:12 PM) *

Page 1: Is that a short rear valance? Maybe the original deep one got pulled off while driving on a snowy Ohio road in the early '70s.

edit: Obviously, the car doesn't look like it was ever driven on a salty road in the snow. It is a remarkable surviving example of the type.

Thanks,
mel reckling
[quote name='scotty b' date='Sep 26 2008, 06:50 PM' post='1084748']
[quote name='mel reckling' date='Sep 26 2008, 06:48 PM' post='1084747']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 26 2008, 03:03 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]

[/quote]

Last name is Teideman or something similar
[/quote]

No, not my friend's name, but new owner I have no idea of.

mel reckling
QUOTE(type47fan @ Sep 27 2008, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(mel reckling @ Sep 25 2008, 06:12 PM) *

Page 1: Is that a short rear valance? Maybe the original deep one got pulled off while driving on a snowy Ohio road in the early '70s.

Thanks,

I've added that to the list of things to ask next time I talk to him. I seriously doubt if it was driven around in the snow. Our road salt usually leaves white dust everywhere and pits the hell out of steel wheels.

mel reckling
After 16 years selling in the car biz, one gets to see cars who's condition runs the full spectrum from made-over rats to plain, nice cars. I'm, by no means, an expert on 914s, but the insight gained by daily seeing cars taken care of vs. cars in various forms of use/abuse makes you appreciate a good one. 'Detailed' cars looked just like 'detailed' cars after a while.

Then once in a while you'd see one of those cars that are remarkably clean for one reason or another. All I kept thinking looking at this car was 'this thing's never been dirty, ever'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.