Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT... Need Advice on Road Trip to Vancouver Canada
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage

All,

I live in sunny Socal , and was thinking of doing a road trip to Vancouver Canada in late Jan to Feb... winter months:(
My questions for those that live in Oregon and Washington / Calif Mt areas.. can I make it through the mts in the winter time? And how about the snow and such.
I was thinking of taking I5 all the way up.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(396 @ Sep 12 2008, 10:50 PM) *

All,

I live in sunny Socal , and was thinking of doing a road trip to Vancouver Canada in late Jan to Feb... winter months:(
My questions for those that live in Oregon and Washington / Calif Mt areas.. can I make it through the mts in the winter time? And how about the snow and such.
I was thinking of taking I5 all the way up.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

We got stuck for two days waiting for a storm to pass. I guess that's why the call them passes..... Cal Trans closed the roads. They are good about radio announcements so if it starts to snow, listen up you may have to find a hotel early, they will fill up fast. It's a beautiful trip, but go the coast if you're not in a hurry, it's even nicer.
Bruce
old v8 guy
Thanks for the info.. any thoughts on snow conditons at the time of year..silly question
sixnotfour
washington no problem nothern ca and southern oregon potential problem , I have gone to the coast during the bad weather , just depends on timing .
I sat in my duelly chained up ,1500lb. mill in the truck ,914-6 on a trailer 1 mile from the summit of mt ashland , for 32 hours untill they finally pulled me out of the snowdrift, and onto the ice road, all the way to portland.
That was a bad year.
KELTY360
It's a crap shoot that time of year. The Siskiyous are the major obstacle, although Oregon can get some of the nastiest ice storms you'll ever want to see. The coast is generally clear although I encountered ice up the Oregon coast last January. Redding is kind of the point of no return, you can go west to the coast there if the mountains are blocked, although you'll also find some slick stuff on that route.

That's the worse case scenario, sometimes it's clear and beautiful the whole way. Keep your eye on the weather reports and 10 day outlooks.

Have you considered flying? biggrin.gif

Just kidding, it's a beautiful drive after you clear Redding. The hills of S. Oregon are charming and the further north you go the better the mountain views.

Let us Northwesterners know when you're coming through and we'll have a get together.
Thanks for the all the support /info!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.