Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front oil cooler.......... a little different
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
Well right or wrong I have decided to add a front oil cooler to my /6 conversion car but I didn't want it in the trunk. I found a Behr cooler that was just the right size to mount it up front under the bumper and in the valance. These are pics as I'm fabbing this up and I still have to build the " box " around the cooler. The box will be welded to the valance and the valance will be able to be removed without disturbing the cooler. Looks like air flow will not be an issue. I still haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to run the lines, either in the trunk or in the wheelwells. So what do you think?
SLITS
Looks like a Mercedes Benz cooler.

In the '70s we ran a similar setup on the 914/6 race car, but with the valence pulled out to form an airdam. Don't bump curbs or bump cones .. creates massive oil leak.

Since Porsche runs oil lines underneath the car on the newer models that is how I'm going to run them on my conversion.
jim912928
maybe put a strong metal bar around it like porsche did with the 911 air conditioner condensor that sits up front? Might be good protection
McMark
If you get a fiberglass late model bumper, that might fit inside for a nice clean look. I've heard of that in racing groups.
rfuerst911sc
Yes it is a Benz cooler and I don't plan on hitting anything with the cooler biggrin.gif I may look into adding a bar like on 911s. I'm hoping once I box in the cooler and maybe add supports to the bottom it will be sturdy enough to smack a AX cone piratenanner.gif Appreciate the feedback. beerchug.gif
roadster fan
I like it. Can't wait to see the progress. popcorn[1].gif

Jim
McMark
Oh, that's lower than I realized.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 13 2008, 12:47 PM) *

Oh, that's lower than I realized.

The bottom of the cooler is about level/even with the suspension pick up points at the front. I know if I'm not careful I could hit a curb but I'm use to being careful as my 911 is very low and I don't want to hit the valance on that either. The cooler is quite sturdy and I expect when I'm done with the install it will be as rugged as I can make it within reason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.