Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decel Valve taken apart....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
I got off from work early today and thought I would finish up my alluminum sunvisor mounts, I was wrong. I picked up an extra decel valve and decided to open it up. I plugged mine because It was all jacked up. I know most dont use their decel valve anymore, but thought if nobody had opened one up and posted it here before, this might help the ones that still have them.
415PB
In pieces:
415PB
Diaphram was in good shape considering it is 30 years old.
415PB
Top portion with the adjustment tube
415PB
and back together again after a really good cleaning, some crimping and JB Weld.
Brad Roberts
See how far you can throw it.

Just kidding. Interesting that they used a diaphram almost identical to a carb accelerator pump diaphram.

B
415PB
laugh.gif I almost did Brad. Figured I didn't need the damn thing, why not screw it all up by taking it apart.
Joe Bob
Yah,.....give it the "float test"......
busaslidr
Why would one want to remove the decel valve, for what purpose???
swood
Is that an early decel valve? Mine on the '75 was more of a flattish disk kinda thing.
72914S
Decel valve? I thought that was for fuel pressure, at least thats where I adjusted mine. confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
That is a decel valve, the FPR is similar. The 1.8 FPR has three fittings on it (fuel in, fuel out, manifold vacuum) and is not adjustable; the 1.7 and 2.0 FPR has two fittings (fuel in, fuel out) and is adjustable. The adjustment on the DV looks like the one on the FPR, but the fitting is much bigger on the FPR.

The 1.8s (except possibly some very early ones) had the flat disk skaped DV. The one shown here is a 1.7 or 2.0 one. (Or maybe that early 1.8.) The DV got hard to find a while back, so it is possible that the 1.8 one was retrofitted to other systems. I think the 1.8 version was still available for a good while longer because of its use in the Bus engines.

--DD
busaslidr
So what does a decel valve do??
Joe Bob
Keeps the throttle from slapping shut too fast, leaving unburned fuel in the system....aka "smog shit".... blink.gif
swood
So is it better to have than not have?
airsix
QUOTE(busaslidr @ Feb 6 2004, 10:27 AM)
So what does a decel valve do??

It momentarily bleeds air into the intake when you snap the throttle shut. This reduces emissions but also makes the rpm's fall SLOWLY when you close the throttle. The only benefit to drivability is it keeps the rpms from dipping below idle speed when you snap the throttle shut quickly. The downside is this makes shifting slower, and adds more work/wear to the tranny syncros (IMHO).

Some take their decel valve off and throw them away. Personally I think that's the wrong approach. You should take it off and hit it with the biggest hammer you can find. Then throw it away.

-Ben M.
swood
QUOTE(airsix @ Feb 6 2004, 05:17 PM)

Some take their decel valve off and throw them away. Personally I think that's the wrong approach. You should take it off and hit it with the biggest hammer you can find. Then throw it away.

-Ben M.

laugh.gif

Well put!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.