Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taco plate install / reseal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
You guys use any rtv or anything around the bolts to insure
a better seal or just go with the o-rings, paper gasket & rubber
o-ring?
type47
shouldn't need rtv. should use those copper sealing washers under the bolts that hold the unit to the case though. watch torque spec.
chris914
I did mine a couple of weeks ago. I put two beads of sealant around the two boltholes before I put the first plate back on. I also put sealant around the oil temp copper washer on both sides for extra peace of mine. lol

I also stripped all the old paint off to make sure there was a clean flat surface for the gaskets.

I bent my brand new VDO sender straight and I put the paper gasket in with no sealant. I put in aluminum gasket washers on the bolts because that is what my local Porsche place had.

One of my bolts were to long and was bottoming out before pulling the plates against the engine. So I sanded it down on the belt sander.

No leaks so far after one autocross.
McMark
I usually use Loctite 565 on the red o-ring and around the bolts.
tod914
Great thanks again guys
Joe Ricard
I did what McMark does. Works gooder than anything else I have used in the past.
tod914
Hey all, just picked up that 565 and applied it. Does it cure or does
it stay sticky all the time. What would be the set time?

Thanks
Cap'n Krusty
The proper sealant is motor oil on the o-ring and nothing on the copper crush washers. Not the term "crush washers". It doesn't mean copper "flat washers", which are not designed for this application. And the crush washers have to be oriented correctly to assure the seal (split side toward the bolt head, one use only).

The Cap'n
tod914
i just put some on the bolts and around the paper gasket where the bolts come through. Wasn't paying attention to the o-ring side when
installed. But, if it leaks, I'll follow your tips on my next oil change Cpt.

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.