Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brakes...Floor...Bad!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty
Okay, driving along after tuning the car for a trip, I came up to a light and tapped the brakes (only going 25 or so) and the pedal sinks to the floor with little resistance. I stop, but this is not good!

I pump the brakes once at the light and they act like nothing every happend.

Naturally, I turned right around, and drove (carfully) home. Of course, the brakes worked just like they always do for the entire trip (good and strong, firm, not spongy), not that I trusted them at all.

The next day (early morning), I take a test drive and everything seems fine. Then it does it again. Just once. Then everything is okay again.

Not good at all.

I have a 19mm MC, no proportioning valve, SC brakes and struts up front, 914 rears (2.7l/6).

I'll bleed the brakes in the AM, but really, should I trust the MC at all? I'm tempted to just rebuild or replace it as I like stopping.
Rusty
Happened to me once. A slightly dragging caliper that heated up and cooked the fluid.

Did you check to see if one caliper was significantly hotter than the others?

When was the last time you flushed your brakes?
fitsbain
My first car (a chevette) did that when the mast cylinder went bad. The seals went, and if you hit the brakes hard, the seals would flare and brakes worked fine. If you feathered the pedal it didn't do anything.

So for the week until I got it fixed, I drove right up on peoples bumpers, and nailed he brakes. Lucky for me, it never got worse, and stped every time.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(fitsbain @ Sep 14 2008, 06:23 PM) *

So for the week until I got it fixed, I drove right up on peoples bumpers, and nailed he brakes. Lucky for me, it never got worse, and stped every time.

You sir, are a very brave man.
EyeTrip
I just got done replacing my MC because of the pedal going to the floor once in a while with no other symptoms.

It's been 2 weeks of hard use since then, I'm sure that was it.
scotty
Thanks guys.

I bled the brakes (Speed bleeders are GREAT!) and took it for a drive (nobody's out around here on Sunday) along the same route (same speeds, braking patterns, etc. I'm such a science geek) and it seemed jsut fine.

I don't know that I trust it, though. I've ordered another MC just in case...amazing how much MC's have gone up!
Cap'n Krusty
Bad master cylinder, guaranteed. Seen it many times over the years. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.