Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/C Questiion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914coop
I have recently pocked up a 1976 914 in pretty good cond. But seems to be missing a piece that fits in between the console and the bottom of the dash. the engine compartment has the full A/C equipment but no way of turning it on inside the car Any one know what goes here.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/i...40/P1010121.jpg
904svo
Do you have the under dash unit?

Click to view attachment

Joe Owensby
Do you have the condenser unit in the bottom of the front trunk?

If you need one of these inside units, I have one that I will sell cheap. I am not sure if it works or not, it was on a parts car I bought. I mostly need to get rid of it. JoeO
dlee6204
Here is another shot

Click to view attachment
charliew
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Sep 14 2008, 11:30 AM) *

Do you have the condenser unit in the bottom of the front trunk?

If you need one of these inside units, I have one that I will sell cheap. I am not sure if it works or not, it was on a parts car I bought. I mostly need to get rid of it. JoeO

Joe, I am also looking for a real clean underdash unit.
Charliew
southernmost914
You are missing the console face wich came with A/C kits. It is PVC plastic, is one piece and fills in the area between the evaporator console and the center console. It also houses the gauges and mounts them at a angle. I see them for sale here and there.

Good Luck!
nycchef
Click to view attachmentJoe, I am also looking for a real clean underdash unit.
Charliew
[/quote]

do you mean this part? i have a good one you can have
number6
QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 14 2008, 01:46 PM) *

Joe, I am also looking for a real clean underdash unit.
Charliew

charliew, i have a clean under-dash ac unit in storage. it came with a '75 car i bought a few years back. previous owner told me everything worked 100%; he just disconnected the AC because of the hp drain. in any event, please PM me, and we can talk.

-duc
nola914
914coop:

You need to check to see if you have the correct center console if you want to install the dash unit.. I can't tell from your photo if you have an "A/C center Console". The sides and front of that console are cut down to fit the under dash unit. The A/C console gauges are cocked to one side (as per the pic from dlee6024)and are set vertically in a line, and yours aren't.

There is a french 914 site that has the dimensions of the A/C center console, and tells you how to build one if you need to.

Also, what is the tiny red light that's in the lower left corner for? Never seen that before.
dlee6204
Here is a picture of my car without the gauges in a line:

dlee6204
Here is a picture of my car without the gauges in a line:

Click to view attachment
914coop
I am sure that it is an A/C console, but will verify. I have no idea what the red light is in the console but I am going to find out what it is hooked up to. I bought this as a project car to show my son how to work on vehicles and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived (from California) biggrin.gif that there was not much it needed. A lot of time will be spent on the interior as the carpet is wore and the seat need to be recovered. the previous owner also put speakers in the doors so I will need to replace the panels. Dash and console however are in great shape and I would like to pick up the unit to fill that gap. Noticed a couple people are offering to sell these and I have sent PM's to them.
Joe Owensby
914coop, I just sent you a pm. I haven't been tracking this, so please forgive me for not keeping up with it. Photos attached show the unit I have. front view, back view, and end view showing damage to drivers side corner. I also will attach a photo of the new evaporator unit I am using that I bought from Southern Rods. I haven't recoditioned the console and center gauges yet, so don't judge this too harshly.

You may have to cut off the top of the center console for either of these to fit. It can be done fairly easily by just peeling back the vinyl and sawing off the top of the wood console side. I have a short front gauge panel as can be seen in the photo.

I don't have a good lower dash padded piece as someone asked. 914 coop, I called the local UPS sotor and asked about shipping to Minneapolis. they said it would cost about $20 for a box, and about $50 to ship. This sounds high to me, but I don't have much experience with shipping stuff. I may be able to find a box cheaper, but it would be better to be safe than sorry and have the unit torn up. I recommend the new unit, but will send this onld one to you if you want it.
JoeO
charliew
Joe your replacement underdash unit is a very common 70's add on air unit. They should be very plentiful also the under dash factory air on a lot of jeeps are very similiar to the 914 unit I have discovered. I am looking for a very nice original 914 underdash unit that I can use that won't need anymore than maybe a new blower motor if I can find one. Usually the registers are in pretty bad shape by this time. More than likely I will have to go to Vintage Air or another hotrod ac supplier, and get some parts and make a custom in dash unit to suit my taste though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.